Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up an 07 Yamaha 2.5 4 stroke in a pawn shop for a song. I tested it as best as I could bolted to a dumpster outside with no water source. The engine started and I imediately turned it off since there was no water to cool (I know bad idea but need to make sure it would run).

Today I put oil in it and made a home rigged motor stand and used a bucket for water. The engine started after the 1st pull and shifted seems to be running perfectly fine for a $250 pawn shop motor. However there seemed to be a lot of smoke. I know with a 2 stroke extra smoke typically meant you put to much oil in however this is my first 4 stroke and really my first engine. Should I be concerned about the smoke? Or will it kind of burn off so to speak after running a bit like my dad's old Johnson 48 Special?

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Someone probibly Laid it on the wrong side ...Should be OK

Does it Pee ?
Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it pees seems to be in great conditions other than the smoking. Hoping to get it on my square stern soon to seen what it does on the water.

·
Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army
5,303 Posts
I have seen that on four strokes after they have been flooded with gas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No offense taken Tom it's often important to ask the simplest of questions when trouble shooting things. The answer though is no, I put 10w-30 as recommended in it's little reservoir tank on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts