Should there be this much smoke? Yamaha 2.5 4 stroke

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by leoprdfrog, Sep 17, 2009.

1. leoprdfrog

leoprdfrog I Love microskiff.com!

I recently picked up an 07 Yamaha 2.5 4 stroke in a pawn shop for a song. I tested it as best as I could bolted to a dumpster outside with no water source. The engine started and I imediately turned it off since there was no water to cool (I know bad idea but need to make sure it would run).

Today I put oil in it and made a home rigged motor stand and used a bucket for water. The engine started after the 1st pull and shifted seems to be running perfectly fine for a $250 pawn shop motor. However there seemed to be a lot of smoke. I know with a 2 stroke extra smoke typically meant you put to much oil in however this is my first 4 stroke and really my first engine. Should I be concerned about the smoke? Or will it kind of burn off so to speak after running a bit like my dad's old Johnson 48 Special?

2. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

Someone probibly Laid it on the wrong side ...Should be OK

Does it Pee ?
    Dave

3. leoprdfrog

Yeah it pees seems to be in great conditions other than the smoking. Hoping to get it on my square stern soon to seen what it does on the water.

4. tom_in_orl

tom_in_orl Founder of Microskiff, Member of the Gheenoe Army

I have seen that on four strokes after they have been flooded with gas.

5. Tom_C

Tom_C Well-Known Member

I am only asking this because you said this is your first 4 stroke.

You know you do not add oil to the gas?

6. leoprdfrog

No offense taken Tom it's often important to ask the simplest of questions when trouble shooting things. The answer though is no, I put 10w-30 as recommended in it's little reservoir tank on it.