Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Should I sell my skiff and get a bay boat?

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
will pole for food
950 Posts
I've been eyeballing Blackjack boats for a couple of years. How do you like it?
Its been a great boat for the way I fish in my area. I love the lines on it, but they're also functional and keep you dry. The BJ can go toe to toe with any mono hull bay boat in the 23ft class in terms of ride quality and speed. Many claim its the best riding in its class, but I haven't been on every single bay boat to know. It is smooth enough for me. With a 250hp, you can cruise at 40mph at 4k rpm and get 3-4mpg depending on motor selection. We have long open water runs were I fish, so a good comfortable cruise is important to me. Most days I want to fish start out calm, but summer pop up storms can be a real threat. I needed a boat that can handle rough seas occasionally. Also, even on windier mornings, I can still head out and cut across miles of open water to a leeward shore of a remote island to fish. For those reasons, I quickly ruled out a skiff when boat shopping. No way an 18ft skiff can keep you safe, dry and comfortable like a bay boat. We do a lot of fishing from the boat, but also just use the boat to get us to remote areas to wade fish. I'm surprised how shallow this boat will get, but I have it rigged pretty light.

The Blackjack dealers do the rigging, so make sure you see how your nearest dealer rigs. Some do an ok job, and others rig really organized and tight. If you want to see some beautiful rigging, check out Metro Boating. They rig their Blackjacks extremely clean.

·
Registered
'14 HB Pro & '09 HB Glades Skiff
30 Posts
Its been a great boat for the way I fish in my area. I love the lines on it, but they're also functional and keep you dry. The BJ can go toe to toe with any mono hull bay boat in the 23ft class in terms of ride quality and speed. Many claim its the best riding in its class, but I haven't been on every single bay boat to know. It is smooth enough for me. With a 250hp, you can cruise at 40mph at 4k rpm and get 3-4mpg depending on motor selection. We have long open water runs were I fish, so a good comfortable cruise is important to me. Most days I want to fish start out calm, but summer pop up storms can be a real threat. I needed a boat that can handle rough seas occasionally. Also, even on windier mornings, I can still head out and cut across miles of open water to a leeward shore of a remote island to fish. For those reasons, I quickly ruled out a skiff when boat shopping. No way an 18ft skiff can keep you safe, dry and comfortable like a bay boat. We do a lot of fishing from the boat, but also just use the boat to get us to remote areas to wade fish. I'm surprised how shallow this boat will get, but I have it rigged pretty light.

The Blackjack dealers do the rigging, so make sure you see how your nearest dealer rigs. Some do an ok job, and others rig really organized and tight. If you want to see some beautiful rigging, check out Metro Boating. They rig their Blackjacks extremely clean.
I appreciate the info! I have 2 skiffs but need a bay boat for the wifey and room for more than 2 people. I'm keeping both skiffs but the BJ looks badass. Saw it at the Houston boat show a couple of years ago. Redwing boats in Houston is a reputable dealer that has been in business for decades and i believe they do acceptable outrigging.
Again, thank you for the info and sharing your experiences.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts