Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Should I sell my skiff and get a bay boat?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure many have been in this scenario so I’ll try my best to keep it brief. I have a HPX18 which I really love and would never sell it if it were just up to me. It’s a great jack of all trades, master of none skiff. My wife on the other hand wants us to get a Bay Boat for the more comfortable ride and additional room. I’m hopeful that if we get a Bay Boat we’d stay home less because of weather and spend more time as a family on the water. That being said, I will miss the shallow water stalking of fish with a fly rod that a skiff allows. Also, I’m sure I’ll be doing a lot more babysitting vs fishing with more people on a boat. I’d buy used and funds would come from selling of my skiff (assuming $40k budget). I have three options, let me know what you guys think.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,041 Posts
I’m sure many have been in this scenario so I’ll try my best to keep it brief. I have a HPX18 which I really love and would never sell it if it were just up to me. It’s a great jack of all trades, master of none skiff. My wife on the other hand wants us to get a Bay Boat for the more comfortable ride and additional room. I’m hopeful that if we get a Bay Boat we’d stay home less because of weather and spend more time as a family on the water. That being said, I will miss the shallow water stalking of fish with a fly rod that a skiff allows. Also, I’m sure I’ll be doing a lot more babysitting vs fishing with more people on a boat. I’d buy used and funds would come from selling of my skiff (assuming $40k budget). I have three options, let me know what you guys think.
Well I had several boats including copperhead cayenne sold them went to a new sea pro, sold that, got a new 24’ Tritoon. Love it! Keeping it and getting a Copperhead!
Keep what you have and get whatever she wants!

·
Registered
911 Posts
If you absolutely have to sell the skiff to appease her, get the bay boat and a paddleboard or kayak. Motherboat the paddleboard to a good area and you can still throw craft fur at skinny fish. You could fabricate some removeable brackets to carry a paddleboard(s) on the bay boat. And you can get skinnier on the paddleboard than you can with the skiff. It‘s not as convenient as your skiff, but it’s a viable option.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Long story short... happy wife, happy life! Sold our skiff and upgraded to a bay boat. I do love it, but it isn’t a shallow, sight fishing boat. Used a paddle board for a while and became frustrated with the lack of range and talked her into me getting another “cheap” skiff to fill the void

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I'm in the same situation. Lagoon has gone to shit so no point in having a nice poling skiff. I have an inexpensive billfish 14 that I can sight fish from. Limited on where I can run it but it's still works well enough.

Would like a bigger boat to take the family on but I don't want to give up the fishability around docks or bass fishing in the lake by going too big and cumbersome. I had bought a Pathfinder 22 but it's not nearly as easy to hook up and go fish, launch, load as a smaller boat. Now I'm looking for something in between.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It really depends on the bay boat. If you could find something like an Egret Moccasin in your price range I would do it an never look back. The issue I've found while looking at boats is that companies just aren't building the flats boat with a bay boat layout. The Moccasin 190 would be perfect for you but it's going to be pricey.

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
I’m sure I’ll be doing a lot more babysitting vs fishing with more people on a boat
I don't even think of taking kids or family fishing the same way as when I go fishing.
Enjoy it as a totally different exercise.

happy wife, happy life!
Every guys home is different but my misses wishes were at the top of my todo list.
Hard to beat a small cruiser (26/30 feet) to please the wife and for accommodating small kids.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
337 Posts
Agree with the two (or three) boat scenario. I have a Pathfinder 2200 TRS that my wife would kill me over if I even thought about selling. I also have a Custom Gheenoe LT25. The LT25 or a Shadowcast 16 are just two of the relatively inexpensive shallow water options. Now if I could just find an older...LOL.

·
Registered
1993 Whites Fiberglass
4 Posts
My plan is small, rebuilt14 ft fishing boat to park on the side of the garage, paid for and basically just for me. Then Boat Club for her. Figured its best of both worlds. I can have my boat to use and abuse and customize and fish out of the way I want. And she (and the family and friends) can have access to brand new pontoon boats, cruisers, bay boats, and even have access to off shore boats.

·
will pole for food
953 Posts
I've had no regrets with a bay boat and skiff combo. The bay boat is surprisingly skinny, and if you play the wind right, it can sneak along without much hull slap at all. That took me some time to figure out, but I've found it to be a great platform from which to flyfish. I've sight fished and caught some of the more notoriously spooky fish on fly in our neck of woods including tarpon, sheep and pompano. My wife loves the comfort of the boat, and I fish it solo with no trouble getting it hooked up, launched and retrieved. All that said, there are times when I just want to be on the skiff and in places where only the skiff can go. I will always have both.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great advice so far. I will add that I’m going to hold off till after tarpon season and have a personal goal of catching a permit (I’ve caught a small one) on fly first . The 2200 TRS and Key West 210BR are on the top of the list. The Key West looks as if it will open up more offshore fishing which is nice. I’m thinking that a 210 BR and an older Superskiff or mirage 17 will check all the boxes I’m looking for - fishing Biscayne Bay, Keys, Flamingo, Choko. I’m confident I can get some of the spooky fish on fly from the bay boat but probably won’t be using it for that most of the time. Would be kinda cool to chum up some pelagics and get them on the long rod.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
445 Posts
I did it for the wife/family. Moved from a 16' Action Craft to a Scout bay boat. The family never went out any more, well maybe a little more at first, I still fished out of it solo a lot and got tired of having the big boat that didn't fit 80% of what I was using it for. I'm a true believer in getting the boat for how you will use it the majority of the time. Then outfit it to make it as great as you can for the other 10-20%. I got rid of the bay boat and ended up in an 18' flats boat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't even think of taking kids or family fishing the same way as when I go fishing.
Enjoy it as a totally different exercise.
I don't think this can be overstated. We do a lot of offshore fishing and the way we approach a day if it's me and a couple buddies that fish hard is 100% different from the way we approach a day if it's friends/family/kids that aren't as serious. Also think the bay boat/kayak would be a good compromise.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
Sharp Hooks Matter
443 Posts
I had a 2012 HPX 18. Traded it plus cash on a Pathfinder 2500 Hybrid. I kept the Pathfinder for 6 months, really missed getting shallow more than anything else and traded it (they gave me cash back) on a 2020 HPX 18. I'm happy again. I know guys in So Cal with 95 to 105' sportfishers if I want to fish offshore. I love shallow water fishing more than any other type so I'm set. your results may vary...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts