Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that all my motor issues are set, I am contemplating adding a floor to the skiff. I ran it yesterday with the tiller extension, and definitely prefer to ride standing up.

I will be ordering a Fishmaster grab bar here shortly, and already ordered a box that attaches to it from Anytide.

I didn’t mind the bare bottom as is, but adding a floor of marine ply coated with carpet seems like an easier place to mount the grab bar to.

Thoughts? Including pics of layout as is. Would have to remove the middle seat/box if I go floor route.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
If you do add a floor you may want to consider a non- slip coating instead of carpeting. I don't like anything that might trap moisture against the ply. Even if the ply has multiple resin coats.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Notch out the plywood around the ribs against the sides. Put a couple screws down thru the plywood into each rib for sound dampening. Otherwise the floor will flex and move when walking around. Just paint it with a light colored marine paint. Carpet is a constant maintenance issue.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
There are many paints that you could add non-slip granules to. What's more important is what is below your finish paint. How you seal up the plywood. I dont know what your budget for time and money is. I have in the past used 1/2" pvc foam core sheets (Home Depot) for john boat floors with good results. It is a little more flexible than plywood, but the ribs were ( I believe) 12" apart ,so it wasn't too bad. This stuff won't rot. Paint your non-skid on after scuffing and your done. Put extra blocking below for bolting your railing to.

·
Brandon, FL
12,303 Posts
Get a tube of vulcom caulk and lay a bead on each rib and let it dry and then screw floor to ribs.

Coat every edge and underside several times with epoxy. Then coat the top side and sprinkle play sand over it. Once cured paint it to match the boat.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
466 Posts
For non skid I’ve had good luck using white Rustoleum Protective Enamel from Home Depot. Roll a coat on, sprinkle sand on it using a salt shaker made from a pill bottle,let dry, repeat about 3x. Holds up very well. $12? total cost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.