Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled the Minn Kota Riptide off the boat and gave it alittle trim.
Pulled the head off and cut the wires to the motor and coil cord.
Pulled the head off and pushed the wires down into the shaft as far as I could. This was for in the case I hit the wires with the sawsall I could just trim off the cut end.
Trimmed 12" off the shaft with a sawsall. I did not cut all the way though the shaft. I ended up snapping off the shaft at the cut and Its the way I would do it again. The coil wire was more of a pain than I thought. I had to pull the grommet off and drill out the old wire and pull the crimp out of it. Then re install everything the same way you took it apart. Made my trolling motor very short and fit the new skiff very well.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Yes, you can shorten the shaft on any trolling motor - and they'll still work just fine.... mostly. Where you'll find yourself on the short end (no pun intended...) is when you're in choppy waters. The only thing keeping your working trolling motor from breaching as you bounce up and down - is the depth you're able to set it at... A shortened shaft takes away that ability.

I do a bunch of tarpon fishing in less than ideal waters (bouncing up and down like cork some days while on station for big silver...) and you must be able to keep that motor deep enough so that it doesn't breach, or blow out, as you rock and roll in a small skiff....

Just another of those "ask me how I know" moments....

Aren't boats fun?

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
I only brought this up for those considering this without knowing the possible downsides... In calm waters there’s no downside at all but its a different deal in a chop when you’re struggling to get your troller to do what’s needed...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I only brought this up for those considering this without knowing the possible downsides... In calm waters there’s no downside at all but its a different deal in a chop when you’re struggling to get your troller to do what’s needed...
If thats the case I'll hop on my 24' shallow sport with the 60" 112lb trolling motor.
Even with the short trolling motor its still over 2 feet under the wateline. I find it hard to belive it will get pulled out of the water in chop.

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
A marine battery charger is one of the least expensive parts of your boat, and at the same time, one of the most significant things when it comes to keeping your battery in good condition and maximizing its performance. A good trolling motor needs a good battery and every battery requires the best battery charger each time it completes a deep cycle, to charge, for working as per you want it to. For more information visit at https://www.trollingbatterycenter.com/best-boat-battery-charger-reviews/
Wow, that’s tacky

·
Registered
910 Posts
LOL It took until the second sentence before I figured out that was some Chinese spammer. Your trolling motor is the soul of your boat. my batteries been dead for a month so

1 - 19 of 19 Posts