Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently put a new 12v Riptide on my HB Guide and the 54" shaft length seems a bit long. Thinking I can remove the head, cut around the shaft while avoiding the wires and then re-attach.

Has anyone done this?

·
Banned
12,342 Posts
It can be done but you’ll void any warranty you had so you may as well pull the wires out, cut it and run the wires back to the head with new ends.
Is it worth it to have a shorter shaft? Like the women say “better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it”.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
566 Posts
Yes - but will void a Minn Kota warranty if you do it yourself. If you take it to your local service center and have them do it, it won't. Chopped 10" out of my 54" shaft. One of best things I did on my skiff. If you do it yourself, sleeve inside the shaft with something to prevent cutting wires or cut real slow and carefully. That is the only trick to doing it yourself. Don't cut the wires!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks and good point on the warranty! I was thinking about 10" as well. I'll check to see how much the authorized service center would charge, I'd hate to lose the warranty on a brand new unit.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
566 Posts
I think between 60 and 100 bucks is what they charge. My friend just did his. He bought his from the local service center in Ft Myers and they cut it for free. 54" is way long for a poling skiff in my opinion. Another friend just bought one and left it 54". It hangs off the boat and sticks up way too high when deployed in shallow water.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, since I mounted mine offset, it’s the sticking up part that gets me. We were setup beachside the other day in waves big enough to come over the front on occasion and I still had 12+” of shaft to lower. It only cavitated a couple times and I don’t plan to fish like that often!

I think between 60 and 100 bucks is what they charge. My friend just did his. He bought his from the local service center in Ft Myers and they cut it for free. 54" is way long for a poling skiff in my opinion. Another friend just bought one and left it 54". It hangs off the boat and sticks up way too high when deployed in shallow water.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've done it myself on two different Minn Kota's. It works well and I really like getting rid of the extra (un-needed length). I wasn't aware that the local service center would do this job. If your local service center can do it, I'd pay them for the work. No need voiding the warranty just to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Called my local service center. He said they had maybe shortened 2 shafts in the past and didn’t know if them doing so for me would void the warranty or not. However, he did estimate it would take 1 to 1.5 hr to do the shortening and their shop rate is $120 an hour.

I’m going to call MK for verification, but either way I’m not sure I can bring myself to write a check for what seems like an excessive amount for a simple task! Especially knowing I can do it myself.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Gentlemen: Having performed the aforementioned task myself back in the day, I feel the urge to make a suggestion: Use a tubing cutter, then carefully clean up the ID after the cut. It's so easy a caveman can do it.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts