Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to have my 25 yr old Calcutta 200 gone through and rebuilt. Can anyone recommend THE guy to do this?

This was the first nice reel I ever bought. Fished it far and wide. Definitely some sentimental value here. Thinking I want THE “Shimano guru”.

Thx

·
Banned
276 Posts
I’d like to have my 25 yr old Calcutta 200 gone through and rebuilt. Can anyone recommend THE guy to do this?

This was the first nice reel I ever bought. Fished it far and wide. Definitely some sentimental value here. Thinking I want THE “Shimano guru”.

Thx
Location?

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Send it back (if they’ll take it... call them first). I’ve been told they tell you right up front whether they still have parts for it....

That one point is why I’m down on them... I can repair almost any reel made if I have the schematic and can get the parts. As an old timer I can remember when manufacturers kept supporting their products for years. Not so anymore.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,820 Posts
When I was in the offshore game I sent all my TLD and Torium reels to Rick's Reel Service. I was very happy with every aspect of the transaction. I don't really have anything else to compare it to, but I will say that I'd send him reels again tomorrow if I needed anything done.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
20 Posts
I sent a bunch of spinning reels to rick and he was fantastic, affordable and got everything back to perfect working order, took a few weeks but he let me know up front that he had a small backlog at the time.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
My local tackle shop does reel repairs/restorations on some pretty old stuff. I believe Capt. Harry's in Miami will also refurb reels that you mail them. Any south Fl people can confirm?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Daves parts and service used to be the largest Shamano parts dealer, I believe in the world.

I know he used to ship world wide.

Captain Bob is correct in that Shamano was horrible to deal with and Dave had a love / hate relationship because he stocked the parts.

He has since sold out but it looks like Tarpon outfitters is still in the biz and would assume they acquired the parts with the rest of the inventory.

http://www.fishingreelparts.com/rodservice.asp

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Dave's has been my go to parts wholesaler for years and years... and after Tarpon Tackle took over I get the same great service.... Whether you go to Shimano or someone like me that repairs reels - if you can't get parts for a particular reel -you're pretty much up a creek. At least if you contact Shimano directly you can find out if a given reel model still has parts available.

Good luck on the repair/re-hab - that's a great old reel....

By the way, the last I heard Capt Harry's gave up their reel repair service in-house... I'll bet that if you contact them directly they'll be able to refer you to whoever they use these days...

·
Soy un Perdedor
2,615 Posts
Post up what you find. I have a box of old Stradics that you can no longer get parts.

I eventually will sell the bunch to someone who needs them for parts. For now on I'm using Daiwa BG reels for half the price and tossing them if and when they take a dump.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Don't toss those BG's - Daiwa has a pretty good parts system and I've already been able to get the extra parts I always need whenever I take on a new reel... (I have two of the new BG 3500's... my usual routine with a new model is to pick up at least one extra spool for each, a spool shaft so that I can power load and strip a spool using my rodbuilding machinery, as well as a spare drag knob or two and a couple sets of drag washers...). Very much liking the new BG series (and I still have three of the older BG series - and am always able to get parts for these 20 year old reels...).

I like Daiwa's approach to reel parts, period.... (better than Penn, much better than Shimano....).

·
Soy un Perdedor
2,615 Posts
Don't toss those BG's - Daiwa has a pretty good parts system and I've already been able to get the extra parts I always need whenever I take on a new reel... (I have two of the new BG 3500's... my usual routine with a new model is to pick up at least one extra spool for each, a spool shaft so that I can power load and strip a spool using my rodbuilding machinery, as well as a spare drag knob or two and a couple sets of drag washers...). Very much liking the new BG series (and I still have three of the older BG series - and am always able to get parts for these 20 year old reels...).

I like Daiwa's approach to reel parts, period.... (better than Penn, much better than Shimano....).
I agree on the Daiwa parts system. Love it that I can still get parts for my Favorite Tournament SS reels too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts