Sheephead on fly??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Bonecracker, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

Wow, this is an old thread.

2. THX1138

THX1138 Well-Known Member

I have always wanted to catch one of these on a fly! Looks like I have some more tying to do ;-)

Lou

3. Limp Shrimp

Limp Shrimp Well-Known Member

If you can sneak up close enough and get a sheepshead to eat a fly you have accomplished something!!! they are finicky, skittish little @#$!ers..

crboggs and THX1138 like this.
  4. rakeel

rakeel I Love microskiff.com!

So sheepshead have become an absolute obsession for me over the past 6 months or so. I see them frequently in the marshes I fish and can usually hear them snapping and popping what I've come to believe are snails clinging to chord grass. This time of year on the TX coast seems to be when I see the most sheepshead and I'm determined to get one.

The closest I've ever gotten to getting one to eat was once a kong sheepie charged a crack fly hard like it was going to crush it then just stopped and closely followed it to the boat. My other encounter happened a few weeks ago when I threw a small #8 bonefish type fly I've been working on and had do a headstand on it. The wind starting pushing me away though and I think the fly was moving faster away from the fish than he liked so he lost interest.

From reading this thread and reading other sources it sounds like my issues in the past have been moving the fly to quickly. I'm thinking I might need to stake out on an area that I know they're at and wait and watch from a distance.

Someone mentioned the green weenie. It's supposed to be a pretty successful fly here in TX. Here's video SBS on how to tie it.

5. Backwater

[​IMG]

Like I said up in this thread, my most consistant flies I've used for sheephead on the fly is very small crab patterns and very small natural colored shrimp patterns (pics above in this thread). Weighted crabs will seem to trigger a bite for them much faster tho. Very small crabs that mimic small mangrove crabs, fiddler crabs, rock crabs and just natural tan colored crab patterns. Fish them very slowly, just single bumps (just an inch or 2 lengths of the snapping bumps) with painlessly long pauses in between the bumps.

My best places have been around rocks, oysters and docks. Best time of year is now until early spring. The colder it is, the better the bite. The best time is early morning from 1st light till about 10:00am and low light days. If you find a spawning school of them, then that is choice conditions with a little weighted crab fly. The shell back should be no bigger than a penny or even a dime size which can trigger good bites too, if they can see it.

Ted Haas

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    el9surf and rakeel like this.
  6. Steve_Mevers

Steve_Mevers I Love microskiff.com!

This is a timely thread, I was just tying up some small crab flies for to try for sheepshead since the redfish did a vanishing act recently

7. sjrobin

sjrobin I Love microskiff.com!

Texas sheepshead SS Flies "Lunch Lady" last spring. Some of you guys have seen this. On just a few occasions I will switch to sheepshead flies. Usually just for numerous larger sheepshead. "Green weenie" and the "lunch lady" are the best patterns. The rod is a NRX 8 wt with SA Titan taper for the windy day. Typically you can get a little closer in the wind. About eight feet of leader with a twelve pound fluoro tippet. No one has asked me to target sheepshead.
    https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0iGcuRfIGrdJsn

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Backwater likes this.
  8. Ken T

Ken T Well-Known Member

Ted,
    I remember that fish. I got my first one on a fly that same day.

Backwater likes this.
  9. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

frequently catch them in the galveston watershed. Delicate presentation - small light flies. I've had success with small dark flies and chartreuse clousers - need to be light with minimal splash. IMG_0183.jpg

10. sjrobin

sjrobin I Love microskiff.com!

Good pic Jamie.

11. Backwater

Awesome fish on the flyrod!

12. Backwater

Yeah good day!

13. Backwater

Serious fish Jamie!

14. Pbertell

Pbertell I Love microskiff.com!

Guides in LA. have a tournament targeted at sheephead on fly - I think in Feb - Mar. The guy that won a few years ago caught three.... I needed to catch one for a slam (Red, Blackdrum and Sheephead) - had one pick up the fly - pulled it right out of its mouth :>(( The advice to go slow is spot on!!

Backwater likes this.
  15. bananabob

bananabob I Love microskiff.com!

shrimpyducer.jpg I've only managed to fool one 5 yrs. aog. This one was way under a dock with another and I did the bow n arrow flip in there. Let it sink ( couldn't see it and lost sight of the fish ) then slowly came tight. Thought I got hung on a piling and gave a hard tug to discover it got ate. The shrimpy seaducer fly shown.
    Since then I've tossed at many with zero results.

Sheephead.jpg

Backwater and sjrobin like this.
  16. Nway93

Nway93 Well-Known Member

They're tricky to feed and even harder to hook. We see lots of them on the floodtides tailing with the reds and have fed 2 or 3 where I've watched them eat the fly but didn't feel a thing and never got tight to them. Small dark crabs work best. One of the custom tyers for blackfly came up with a fly he calls the sheepherder. It's just a small clump of orange ep out the back for the claw and a ball of black estaz coated in zap a gap so it's chrunchy, seems to make them hold on to it just long enough to strip set.