Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am having fun rigging out my new to me Copperhead. Navigation lights are next on my list. Any deck mounted bow light will be obstructed unless it is elevated. All those plug in stalks never work when you need them even if you can find them in your lockers.

I have one of those fold down anchor lights now and as usual it has obviously filled with water sometime in the past and blown the bulb. Replacing it with a puck light.

Now for the bow. I am seriously considering these shark eyes CP Performance - Livorsi Stainless Steel Elliptical LED Navigation Light Kit (LEDNL2R / LEDNL2G)

I know they have to be carefully sealed up or they will leak. Hell of a tight compartment to work in. Need a skinny guy with really long arms.

My real question is with the low fretboard of the copperhead will they be visible?

Anyone with experience with this mod's input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't know if this is a big concern for you but I think that technically the USCG rule is that lights need to be located above the deck.
Also of note if the boat is less than 23 feet and slower than 7 knots, you can just use a white all around. I expect you are traveling at more than 7 knots

Additionally, I very often run to my spots at night/twilight and see folks at night without lights sitting in the middle of channels and running lanes on the flats. Damn near killed a few of them.
I choose to want to be seen (until I don't want to be seen)

I put my lights on the sides of the console. They may not look as cool but I'm visible when I need to be and arguably USCG legal.

Reactions: The Fin

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Whatever type you get, there is a specific spot on the bow they need to be. Each light throws out a 112 degree arc. Most lights will come with a template that you should move back and forth on the curvature of the bow until the light is in the correct location.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,963 Posts
Now for the bow. I am seriously considering these shark eyes CP Performance - Livorsi Stainless Steel Elliptical LED Navigation Light Kit (LEDNL2R / LEDNL2G)

I know they have to be carefully sealed up or they will leak. Hell of a tight compartment to work in. Need a skinny guy with really long arms.
I have those Livorsi's on an HB and they work fine. Using a coat hanger to pull the wires is not a big deal. For the stern light you can just drill a hole on the top and you're done.

·
I Love Skinny Water
6,577 Posts
I like the way my shark eyes reflect off the water

·
Registered
453 Posts
As sublime said should he a template. They will be plenty bright there. They are a lot of money though. Have you checked out the ozium ones. They just require a round hole to be cut. Easy to make sure its sealed up.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I don't know if this is a big concern for you but I think that technically the USCG rule is that lights need to be located above the deck.
Also of note if the boat is less than 23 feet and slower than 7 knots, you can just use a white all around. I expect you are traveling at more than 7 knots

Additionally, I very often run to my spots at night/twilight and see folks at night without lights sitting in the middle of channels and running lanes on the flats. Damn near killed a few of them.
I choose to want to be seen (until I don't want to be seen)

I put my lights on the sides of the console. They may not look as cool but I'm visible when I need to be and arguably USCG legal.
They do not need to be above deck, but USCG has identified potential issues that can arise from improper installation on the forward part of the hull if they are not designed to be mounted there. The Livorsi meets the requirements, and is what came on my Egret.

This old USCG circular covers it better than anything I've found.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
They do not need to be above deck, but USCG has identified potential issues that can arise from improper installation on the forward part of the hull if they are not designed to be mounted there. The Livorsi meets the requirements, and is what came on my Egret.

This old USCG circular covers it better than anything I've found.

Thanks Halfshell, I stand corrected.
Above the deck is the International rules
Line Font Triangle Parallel Naval architecture

So Rick will have to avoid those quick trips from Tallahassee to the Bahamas or Cuba for the good bonefish.

But... if the USCG wen to the trouble of dedicating a page of the circular to "the problems" you might what to consider. Pay particular attention or page 7 of the PDF.
I have seen many shark lights on boats that in no way have 22.5 visibility

I guess depending on any particular boat's chine, light location, and boating conditions there could be obstruction problems, especially in close where it really counts. For example, someone overtaking you, running a boat from a tower 25-30ft in the air, you will certainly be less visible with shark lights mounted near the bow on a sharp chine. My console mounts are easily visible from 22.5 from the beam and easily from above even when you are right on top of me (and I'm screaming waving my arms and using colorful language)

Peripheral Input device Mouse Automotive design Font

I've been on the water all of my life and had way too many close calls at night on both sides of the helm. Running my skiff and running large boats and not seeing a small boat until the last minute. Whipping a 35ft offshore boat around a poorly lit small boat drifting in a tight channel or canal is not easy and will create a bad wake, I have no desire to hurt anyone or have someone hurt me.

Attachments

Reactions: Half Shell

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Added shark eyes on my center console and have them on past and current skiff. Highly recommended. Go LED for sure, they do make a standard bulb and the LEDs last longer, are brighter and look better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts