Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a recent trip to flamingo, upon landing a redfish in some less than favorable water clarity conditions, a shark came from the depths to take a chomp of the red. I snatched the fish up just in time, but he managed to sink his teeth into my gelcoat. Luckily nobody was injured (including the redfish). I’d like to have the gelcoat repaired but wanted some opinions. Is it a big enough deal to be repaired? Let me know your thoughts, thanks!!
Skin Gesture Finger Thumb Material property

Atmosphere Water Liquid Fluid Sky

Water Fluid Gesture Finger Tints and shades

·
Registered
“10K Islands adrift on a skiff,my worries escape me,with the flick of my wrist”
1,079 Posts
I would leave it if above the normal water line. Looks like a spray rail. If not a quick repair may be needed. I can’t believe how well he removed that gelcoat from the skin coat. Almost looks like a void how clean it came off. I need to make bit with sharks teeth for my angle grinder.

·
Registered
“10K Islands adrift on a skiff,my worries escape me,with the flick of my wrist”
1,079 Posts
On a second look I think see a puncture in the glass in second pic. If that’s the case I would fix it. Especially if that’s a cored area regardless of where it is. It could just be a air bubble though. I would dig in it a bit with something sharp and pointy. Just to make sure.
You could even seal it with a bit of epoxy and a toothpick to keep the cool factor. When/if it does finally get fixed the epoxy and surrounding area will be ground away to do a proper gel repair

·
Registered
522 Posts
Back in the late 90’s off Long Island we brought a (way to green) Mako to boat side. It grabbed hold of my hull and wouldn’t let go till we banged it. Besides my experience I never heard it happen to anyone else.
I just left the scars in the hull, gave it character!!😎

1 - 14 of 14 Posts