Shallow Water Motor

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by hshaffett, Aug 15, 2012.

1. hshaffett

hshaffett I Love microskiff.com!

Looking for info on the short shaft shallow water motors... I've always either had bug boats with big motors or aluminum flats with mud motors... I wanting to get a 90-115 hp motor for my flats boat... I've seen a couple boats with a shorter lower unit then others,. Could someone explain these more to me... Thanks

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Not sure what you mean by short shaft shallow water motor.

I am not an expert on motors but many motors of that size are available with different shaft lengths (20", 25", 30", and 35" shafts). But what I do not know is what you mean by shallow water.

3. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

Are you talking about a low water pickup? Bobs machine shop is the only one I know who will mod a lower for you.

4. hshaffett

Sorry I've seen a lot of boats with ob that the lower units are real short.... Most of these boats are shallows water boats... I was assuming the reason for a shorter lower unit is more speed and function in skinny water.... I will try and gets couple of pics....

5. hshaffett

6. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

[​IMG]

that help?  :-?