Shaking down my Johnson 4hp

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by zeneb, Jun 21, 2011.

1. zeneb

zeneb River Hawk 15'4" 15HP Evinrude / 15 HP Merc

If you didn't read my newb post above, I've got a '76 Johnson 4 hp motor that I just bought. I took it out this weekend and with the help of another boat owner was able to finally get her tuned in and running right. It took a LONG time though with lots of pulling the crank, and having the motor die on me after just a minute of running. Is this common for an older motor that's been sitting? I don't know when the motor had been run last, but it was at least a couple of months. I've looked at the inside of the motor and the plugs look new. She's pissing pretty good out the back. From what he said my old mix is a touch heavy, but not too bad. Is there anything I can do to further improve how she runs? It is worth my time and money to swap out the old prop? It's plastic and I'm not sure how old it is, but it does have a few dings in it. I'm just trying to get the most bang out of this old engine.

Thanks in advance for the assistance,

Hooching

2. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

I like XD50 oil Mix up some 50:1 and a good dose of seafoam 

New plugs gapped correctly  (keep the old ones as spares)

Keep the old prop for a while  Dings are ok 

do a compression test ...

Keep us posted ...

3. zeneb

zeneb River Hawk 15'4" 15HP Evinrude / 15 HP Merc

So, assuming I get a variation on my compression test, isn't it pretty expensive to fix that? I assume I have to at least replace the rings, no?

Hooching