Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Shaft length

4278 25
I am building my first micro skiff and am curious what shaft length you guys use?
I am thinking of going with a Suzuki 20hp tiller on a 14’6” skimmer skiff. I assume it would use a 15” shaft

Does it all depend on the transom?
Anyone with a skimmer that can weigh in?
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have this exact setup. Skimmer Skiff 14’ 6” with a 20hp Suzuki. Mine is a short shaft 15”.
Sweet! Any insight on that boat? Must haves vs things that can wait?

I have to keep mine as light as possible to draft as little water as possible and keep it on a jet ski lift. My creek has a couple very skinny passages I have to squeeze through at low tide.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Water Recreation Fisherman Recreational fishing Fun
Water transportation Water Recreation Vehicle Fisherman
Fish Fishing Fish Fisherman Recreation
Sweet! Any insight on that boat? Must haves vs things that can wait?

I have to keep mine as light as possible to draft as little water as possible and keep it on a jet ski lift. My creek has a couple very skinny passages I have to squeeze through at low tide.
You’ll love the boat. It drafts incredibly shallow. As far as must haves, it really depends on your style of fishing. I love sight casting and poling around skinny water so a good push pole is a must for me. I use a 21’ stiffy hybrid pole which I think is a great length for the boat, however it tends to stick out a lot when towing on the trailer. If you do plan on getting a pole this long, just make sure you get good push pole holders and use the bungees to strap it down when making any runs between fishing spots. I ran over some light chop and the bouncing caused the pole to come off the holders and nose dive into the water, it hit hard sandy bottom and snapped the pole. It’s been repaired but it could’ve been avoided had I used the bungees to strap the thing down. Other than that, a poling platform and some sort of SeaDek or equivalent if you plan on being up there all day, it makes a world of difference. I rarely fish solo, but I’ve noticed that the boat NEEDS to have weight on the bow to pole well. Otherwise it will spin around on you, especially if trying to pole into any sort of wind. If I’m fishing alone, I make sure to add as much ice to the yeti as possible and then set it on the bow. If you’re fishing with another person it’s not a concern. It’s perfect for fishing 2 people but will accommodate 3 without much issue. I use a motorcycle battery just for the lights and bilge. No fishfinders or other electronics are needed for my style of fishing. The battery weights next to nothing. This gives me about 27mph solo with light load or about 23mph with 2 people. It’ll jump on plane fast and run shallow. It can be a wet ride if you run with the wind to your side. If there’s anything specific you want to now, just ask, happy to respond.

·
Registered
930 Posts

The skimmer Skiff 14.6 comes standard with a 15 in transom. Bobby can build you one with a 20 in. Transom. Not a must have but I ran an atlas micro jacker jack plate with a 10 pitch powertech sra3 SS prop and loved it. I would keep it simple as possible with a tiller set up and grab bar. If you are going with a rolloed deck the awl grip non skid option on deck and floor is a great choice IMHO.

·
Registered
930 Posts
The poling platform on a boat that narrow and short is not needed. Those kids in the pictures above are in a lot better shape than most of us and have youth on their side. Put your old ass up there and you will wind up doing a face plant in an oyster bed. LOL
That is a good point. Bobby does have an option for a polling platform half that height.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The poling platform on a boat that narrow and short is not needed. Those kids in the pictures above are in a lot better shape than most of us and have youth on their side. Put your old ass up there and you will wind up doing a face plant in an oyster bed. LOL
That’s a good point. Although those kids were only up there while I got off to snap photos, I will say that I’ve fallen off the platform twice. It can be iffy when you’re getting used to being up there with someone else on the boat and they suddenly shift all the weight to the side of the boat. Im in my early 30’s and not in great shape tho, so there’s also that.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Based on the thread title, and the cretins that frequent this site, I clicked on it with extreme caution.
I literally clicked on this one and scrolled down just looking for this.

Glad I wasn't disappointed!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I literally clicked on this one and scrolled down just looking for this.

Glad I wasn't disappointed!
I was just scrolling through the dumpster fire that is Go Mr. President. I can say with confidence that no matter our stance on politics, values, way of life, etc. Middle school sex jokes can always bring us all together as a forum.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.