Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new Tohotsu 30 on my Shadowcast 18. I am coming from a 2 stroke Evenrude 25.
This motor is significantly heavier than my 25. So I'm expieriencing a good bit of stern squat and slow getting on plane. My batteries and fuel tank are at the bow. I'm currently running a 3 blade aluminum prop 9X13(running aluminum because of the # of rocks where I fish). I am also getting a lot of cavitation in my turns.

To help solve my issues I have ordered a 4 blade aluminum 9X12 and a Shaw Wing. I opted to not put trim tabs for the sake of weight and drilling additional holes in my hull.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any comments or recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

B

·
0 Posts
In my opinion any gain by going to a 4 blade is lost in the aluminum. With that tunnel you should be able to get the motor up high enough that a stainless wheel never or rarely sees bottom provided she is set up properly. Tabs are a Godsend on a skiff! My best advise is this... give the folks at Ankona a call! They know their product better than anyone and are very helpful from every post I’ve ever read about them here and elsewhere! They can probably tell you what needs done in a few short minutes, James

·
Registered
101 Posts
Put a stainless steel SRA4 blade, I have a 16 Ankona Shadowcast with a 30hp Evinrude Etec and I had a 3 blade before sra 3 and due to the tunnel I was ventilating a lot but my top end was awesome. When I switched to the stainless 4 blade I could basically go on plane at half throttle and the boat is much more stable and turns much nicer is the 4 blade.

And to be honest you should be running more HP, my buddy has an Ankona Shadowcast 16 as well as I do and he’s running a 1997 2 stroke 40hp . Shadowcast are well built, and limiting them to the motor specs isn’t enough. When I purchased my shadowcast it had a 20 hp and honestly that thing was so slow I wanted to cry. Believe me I know no one in the forums that runs a 20 hp Shadowcast 16 does not get any near the high 20s because the tunnel slow you down a lot

·
I Love microskiff.com!
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed the Shaw wing and finally got my motor mounted high enough that it is not spraying everywhere. The cavitation plate is about 2" above the top of the tunnel. I was not able to find an aluminum 4 blade prop, so I ordered a 3 blade stainless with cup from Jack Forman. This should help with the cavitation in turns and in chop when trimmed up. I also have a wedge between my stern and motor to give some negative trim. Both have worked great so far. The negative trim and Shaw wing has given my stern lift when running slow n shallow water. It also has helped my boat get on plane quicker. I'm getting 25 mph wot and trimmed as high as I can without cavitation.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried the Jack Forman prop this weekend. It did the trick. It's like a different boat. This prop has made a huge difference in the turns. I can also trim up a lot higher than I had been without cavitation. I also lost no speed. I'm getting 25 mph WOT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts