Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off. Happy Friday everyone it's a much needed end to a long work week! Here in South Texas the weather can't make up its mind 38 degrees on Monday and 83 degrees is on the forecast for tomorrow.

On to the real reason for this post. I've been toying with ideas for the SC16 I am on short the list to build. My plan for now is to run a grab bar with a cooler mount, but i also want to run a navigation system for the skiff. The Laguna Madre is full of channels and super skinny water so it helps having something that remembers how you got in and out of a spot so you don't wind up in a situation where you have to pole or drift a boat a mile back to the intercoastal if you can't find the deeper section you ran in on.
I was considering a tiller console to mount the gps as well as trim tab/nav lights/bilge controls. I want to keep the skiff as simple as possible running a tiller and yeti that will double as a casting platform. My real question is how much weight will the console add to to skiff. I'm passing on the jack plate and remote steering for simplicity sake. I need the skiff to float skinny and don't want to sacrifice a ton of draft. I'm 5'7" 165 so that should help some Haha. If some of you guys have ideas for mounting the navi to the grab bar that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb some pics would be appreciated.

Thanks all and have a great weekend!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't have much advice on mounting your nav to a grab bar, but I have a SC16 with the mini center console and a SIMRAD GO5 XSE mounted on it and it works out good. I'm located in Rockport if you want to take a look at before you make up your mind on the grab bar over console. I'll get some pictures later on and post them.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
595 Posts
I’m doing something similar, using a BOTE tackle rack as the grab bar with a Pelican Vault case mounted inside the hoop. It will serve as a mount for the GPS, as well as a dry box for phones, keys, etc, and a back rest for the cooler seat. I’ll try to post a pic soon.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Got that boat with tiller/grab bar with lorance mounted to back of the flat panel on the grab bar. If I was having one built I'd do it like this guy did. Love how the wiring for that gps works on his boat!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aggie, I would like to get a look at your skiff if you don't mind. Maybe next weekendif you have time?

Grizz, the pelican box sounds like a pretty good idea. I'd definitely like to see what that looks like.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
My real question is how much weight will the console add to to skiff. I'm passing on the jack plate and remote steering for simplicity sake. I need the skiff to float skinny and don't want to sacrifice a ton of draft. I'm 5'7" 165 so that should help some Haha. If some of you guys have ideas for mounting the navi to the grab bar that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb some pics would be appreciated. Thanks all and have a great weekend!
In terms of weight addition, you will have zero issues in terms of your draft. Even adding the jack plate will not affect your draft. You will be in 5-6" very easily. If you start adding trolling motor batteries, permanent fuel cells, a guide box livewell, etc....then you will start seeing a difference...but again that takes away from the simplicity of that skiff. There is room for a small GPS that sits just under the grab bar on the tiller console. It has been done many times before and has a nice clean look to it. Just below that on the back side of of the console will be your 4-switch panel. If you'd like some pics of what all that looks like, feel free to text me and I can get you pics along with pics of what other options look like. 863-860-7250
Jon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Aggie, I would like to get a look at your skiff if you don't mind. Maybe next weekendif you have time?

Grizz, the pelican box sounds like a pretty good idea. I'd definitely like to see what that looks like.
Let me know when next weekend. I should be around town.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I don't know how your skiff will be laid out. If you have a permanent / semi permanent console, grab bar etc and have an open back bulkhead or bulkhead with a hatch, you'll hate life accessing stuff under the deck. I know I did on the Spear I had. If I would have kept that skiff, I would have closed the bulkhead and added a hatch.

Reactions: AZ_squid

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. Looks like I'll be going with the tiller console with a yeti mount in front that I can move up to the bow to double as a casting platform. Can't wait to get this build started. If any of y'all make it down to the Corpus Christi area hit me up!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
98 Posts
That's a great suggestion Sublime. I hadn't even thought of that.
First off. Happy Friday everyone it's a much needed end to a long work week! Here in South Texas the weather can't make up its mind 38 degrees on Monday and 83 degrees is on the forecast for tomorrow.

On to the real reason for this post. I've been toying with ideas for the SC16 I am on short the list to build. My plan for now is to run a grab bar with a cooler mount, but i also want to run a navigation system for the skiff. The Laguna Madre is full of channels and super skinny water so it helps having something that remembers how you got in and out of a spot so you don't wind up in a situation where you have to pole or drift a boat a mile back to the intercoastal if you can't find the deeper section you ran in on.
I was considering a tiller console to mount the gps as well as trim tab/nav lights/bilge controls. I want to keep the skiff as simple as possible running a tiller and yeti that will double as a casting platform. My real question is how much weight will the console add to to skiff. I'm passing on the jack plate and remote steering for simplicity sake. I need the skiff to float skinny and don't want to sacrifice a ton of draft. I'm 5'7" 165 so that should help some Haha. If some of you guys have ideas for mounting the navi to the grab bar that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb some pics would be appreciated.

Thanks all and have a great weekend!
This works

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well guys it's been 3 months, I picked up the skiff Monday down in Fort Pierce with the girlfriend. Spent a few days fishing the banana river before I made the 22 hour drive back to TX. Decided to go with the tiller console and I'm really glad i did. The extra storage is really nice as well as a platform for all of the switches. Have a gps I'll be mounting up there soon and need to grab a tiller extension ASAP gonna make one out of PVC until i choose which kind I want. I'm leaning towards carbon marine right now. Thanks everyone for all of the advice leading up to picking up the skiff. I'll post some pics up tomorrow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts