Serious rust stain

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by nightfly, Apr 21, 2013.

1. nightfly

nightfly I Love microskiff.com!

I picked up a gheenoe that has a big rust stain on the front bench. I used star-brite on it and lightened it a tad and got rid of the rust everywhere else. I'm wondering what would get rid of it or would I have to paint over it. I've heard of a few other things like bar keepers friend and toilet bowl cleaner. But I've been using star-brite for several years and it has worked on all my rust stains except this one. I'm figuring those others won't do any better. What should I do?

2. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

Honestly, I would pick up a quart of Rust Oleum semi gloss white marine paint and a can of webbing spray from the crafts store and go to town. That is given you want it done for around $20. You can go with the good stuff like Awl grip if you wish but for the inside, Rust Oleum will hold up for a few seasons and can be easily touched up and re-webbed as needed. Just make sure you lay down thin coats and allow a day of dry time in between. On your final coat, spray the webbing while the finish coat is still tacky. I used a similar type paint and once it cured after several days it was hard as nails.
    Before:
    [​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG]

3. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Oxalic acid will remove rust. It is found in sno-sowl and bar keepers. Don't cross them off your list before you try them.

4. nightfly

nightfly I Love microskiff.com!

Thanks fellas. If the other stuff don't work I will paint over it

5. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

Muriatic acid mixed 50 50 with water.
    Or on/off at westmarine. Which is the same thing just 14 $ a quart. But it works veryyyyy well

6. Dadvocate

Dadvocate If it ain't broke tweak it a little....

Agree with Cut Runner on the Muriatic acid 50/50. Probably need to wax or seal after stain is removed. Good luck.

7. fishthis10

fishthis10 I Love microskiff.com!

I have used muriatic acid as well and it works.