Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,
Outside of making long trips, what methods of stabilizing the tiller do you use to not let it flop left and right when going down the road to your local ramp? I’ve been using a bungee cord for the past few years but I’d like to see what you guys have come up with? Pics?

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
I don't have pics. but.....

I screwed an eyelet into each guide-ons/uprights and used a single piece of 1/8" w/ an s-hook tied to each end.

Put a loop in the middle where the tiller will go.....keeps it centered and as high as needs to be

Shorten the line a little ...so u have to pull in on the upright...hook it up and release...automatic tension

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a homemade PVC transom saver that keeps the motor from moving. I strap the handle up to the platform by snaking a rafting strap between the platform and the steel frame

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for all your replies. I will invest in a transom saver in the near future because I want to do a bit of traveling up and down the Gulf coast.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
Yup. Transom Saver...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Yep, I used a transom saver on the BT tiller I had. Every once in while, the outboard would get off kilter and I would make a sudden, violent move with the truck steering wheel in the appropriate direction and the outboard would re-center itself. Closed course, professional driver. Your results could vary.

Reactions: R-Dub

·
Registered
984 Posts
I just put a transom saver on the HB mostly to keep the skeg from dragging on the ground.

On the gheenoe I just used a cord to strap the tiller handle to the poling platform.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts