Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nope, but this will be a very interesting comparison.

I do have an 8W Meridian and a 7W Asquith. I love them both but each are very different rods...but if I had to choose one, it would be the Asquith. It is just so buttery smooth. I have it paired with a Lamson Cobalt 8W which is a very light reel and the RIO Direct Core Bonefish.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, but this will be a very interesting comparison.

I do have an 8W Meridian and a 7W Asquith. I love them both but are very different rods...but if I had to choose one, it would be the Asquith. It is just so buttery smooth. I have it paired with a Lamson Cobalt 8W which is a very light reel and the RIO Direct Core Bonefish.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tom
Thanks. I have the 8W meridian (which I love), but looking to get a 9wt for the extra windy days and when the bulkier flies are needed in wind or for more offshore applications. My son has the 8wt Nrx but I prefer the meridian. Unfortunately I don't have a local fly shop where I can throw the sector and asquith side by side to see which I like better. I have read reviews on both, and seems like a probable toss up as both are great rods. Was hoping someone on the forum has thrown them and could offer insight.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Have a mix of meridian and asquith now. Buying a sector as soon as i hear one is in stock at my local shop so will let you know.

Right know my preference depends on what i am fishing for
Asquith - seems to excel with lighter flies and/or higher wind conditions; really like it for bones/reds in 7-8wt I have and for tarpon w 11wt
Meridian - does better w bigger flies and i think is a bit more precise casting; i like it better for permit (accuracy, heavy flies), bull reds (huge flies), and the 12wt better for GTs (huge flies)

·
I Love microskiff.com!
191 Posts
I have cast both rods and they really couldn't be more different. My personal rods are Asquiths. The Sector seems like a more specialized rod to me. Super fast and stiff, it would be a great rod in the wind. If I lived in the Keys, I would use it there. The Asquith is just a more fun rod to cast, and I would feel confident fishing it anywhere. I also have them paired with Colbalts, and now everything else seems heavy.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I don’t know much about anything but here is my take. I had to he Asquith in 8 and 9 and now have the Sector in 8 and 9. The Asquith seemed softer in the tip and stiffer in the but. The Sector seems a bit softer in the butt and stiffer in the tip which equates to a rod that can cover a wide range without feeling hingey. I’ve owned a bunch of rods and think almost all are great for something. So far I like the Sector in 9 wt for throwing heavy clousers at cruising bass in short, often with very little lead time. It also has enough power to throw some line and for me it was intuitive.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
685 Posts
9wt Asquith is amazing. I like the airflo ridge w clear tip- but I just heard that is discontinued.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
191 Posts
9wt Asquith is amazing. I like the airflo ridge w clear tip- but I just heard that is discontinued.
It has been discontinued for while. I have the Airflo Bonefish/Redfish on mine, and it works very well. On the Sector, I would be tempted to use something like a SA Grand Slam.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It has been discontinued for while. I have the Airflo Bonefish/Redfish on mine, and it works very well. On the Sector, I would be tempted to use something like a SA Grand Slam.
Did you try de grand slam or punch in the Asquith 9 weight?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
685 Posts
Actually - I think the asquith is pretty flexible with lines. BTT works well also - on my 10 wt I've also thrown the 9wt BTT and it was great also.

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,387 Posts
So if you are throwing a 9wt Wulff BTT on a 9wt Asquith and like it, then it's really too fast for your taste, which there is nothing wrong with that. So...in other words, the BTT is one line weight over the stated line weight rating. So on your 9wt, with a 9wt rated BTT, you are actually throwing a line that weighs what a normal 10wt line does, according to affta tables, which then overloads the rod and gives it a slower action. So in fact, you may prefer a slightly slower rod like a Meridian (Hardy, Winston, T&T, etc), or whatever, with a truer to line weight rated line, or.... wait for it.... a mid range rod ~the crowd gasps~ :eek: But nothing wrong with that either because it's your preference. ;)

But one thing to remember, by overloading the rod, you are decreasing the rod's performance and therefore, devaluing an already insanely expensive rod. So then what's the point in buying an Asquith when you could have done the same job with a rod half it's cost? For show?? o_O Or do you think it's just going to make you a better caster with less work? (I apologize for speaking so bluntly about it).

So then, what can change? You already have the rod. You could learn proper casting techniques to improve that rod's performance with a line more geared for that line weight rated rod. I'm sure you like the TT of the Wulff. Maybe try going to the BTT Short since it's only a 1/2 line weight heavier. Or better yet, a line more in line to take advantage of the rods performance. There are many of them, but if I was dropping that kind of dough on that rod, then I would be trying out the best of the best of lines (depending on what you are using it for), to take advantage of what the rod offers in performance over some other rods, be it not the fast rod in the world, but offers a smooth execution and tracking for a fast rod.

Or, (and moreover, DO!) learn to change up your cast, to take advantage or potential of what that rod is capable of by using a better suited line for normal and distance casting and then just use the heavier BTT line to load it up quickly for short shots with bigger flies (still a crutch tho for not knowing how to cast a rod short). Or get another softer rod for the short shots and then use that one for 40ft+ or greater shots at fish. Believe me when I say that rod is very capable of dumping the whole flyline out there with the right line and the right casting techniques. So learn to use that rod for what it's meant for and you may in fact love it even more.

Again, if I was dropping that kind of coin on that rod, I would pay for at least 2, 4 or more hours (or more) with a Master Casting fly casting instructor, then have them evaluate your imperfections in your casting stroke and then, like a Golf Pro, they will tweak your techniques and tune you up, much like a Golf Pro would do for you on the golf course. So then you could go to a truer to line weight rated line and cause that rod to come alive, instead of using a crutch like the BTT or heavier line to cause that rod to work for you. Otherwise, with an improved casting stroke, you still may prefer a more parabolic, softer action rod over an ultra fast action rod, which again, there is nothing wrong with that (it's a preference thing). Then look at other rods that fit that bill, instead of going with a rod that you hear and think it's the best rod, but may not be the best rod for you.

So that being said, if you purchased a $3,000 set of clubs, do you think that's going to make you a better golfer? The reality is the same with fly rods and fly casting, whereas, it may help, only if your proper casting techniques will take advantage of of the subtle improvements of that rod over other good rods. Otherwise, you might as well be casting a $200 rod.

Food for thought... I have a friend that can kick my arse on the golf course with a 2nd hand set of clubs that cost about $250. Was it the clubs? I have another friend that is a full time golf pro. She works full time up north during their season for 7 months, then winters down here in Florida. During season, she is booked 8-12hrs a day, 6-7 days a week and she get's $175/hr and has been at it for 25yrs now. She must be making a difference, otherwise, she'd be unemployed. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts