Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just found out that Seaguar apparently seized production of their Grand Max Fluoro tippet material and was wondering if anyone using it has switched or prefer a suitable substitute for it in #14 to #20 class test.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I like Seaguar (the basic blue label ) in larger sizes -but for leader material under 40lb I much prefer Ande Fluoro... You get almost twice as much per spool - for less money... and every time a manufacturer comes out with their latest and greatest new thing - I find myself wondering whether its more an attempt to hype sales than any real improvement...

Then again you could always argue that I'm a cynical SOB on a good day...

·
Registered
733 Posts
I am using Sunline Sniper FC for all my leader and tippet under 25lb. The one thing that always impresses me is the diameter to strength ratio. Im sure the Ande FC is good but the 15lb is the same diameter as 18lb Sunline. Same with many other manufactures, pay attention to diameter rather than pound test if you are looking to be stealthy. The Seaguar Blue Label is also a good option and is smaller diameter than many others. One thing I never understood is why I can buy high end Sunline on a 200yd spool for the same a 50yd Spool of Seaguar Blue. Both are 100% FC and both top tier FC lines and other than the Blue Label being slightly stiffer than the Sunline Sniper, there is no difference. If you want a little stiffer Sunline, buy the Shooter.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm not familiar with their Sniper or Shooter lines but I do have some of their FC100 and the #16 measures .013" compared to #16.5 Grand Max .011". One of the main features I liked about Grand Max was that it was the thinnest diameter to strength ratio I could find.
I may try their new Gold Label in #15 & #20, it's not quite as thin but the closest diameter to the Grand Max.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
When you only look at diameter for different leader makes you might be overlooking something I think is very important- abrasion resistance...

Because in the dark waters of the Everglades we can get away with heavier fly leaders...
We never use leaders lighter than 20lb and for spin or plug gear our absolutely lightest leaders are 30lb many times 40lb...

My greatest concern is abrasion resistance since a big snook or medium sized tarpon can shred 40lb...

Many times anglers that bring their own rods to fish with me have leaders rigged -that are just much too light for our conditions...

·
Registered
123 Posts
When you only look at diameter for different leader makes you might be overlooking something I think is very important- abrasion resistance...

Because in the dark waters of the Everglades we can get away with heavier fly leaders...
We never use leaders lighter than 20lb and for spin or plug gear our absolutely lightest leaders are 30lb many times 40lb...

My greatest concern is abrasion resistance since a big snook or medium sized tarpon can shred 40lb...

Many times anglers that bring their own rods to fish with me have leaders rigged -that are just much too light for our conditions...
Bob, have you tried Cortland Fluoro yet?
Most abrasion resistant I’ve found.
And available in 100yd spools.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I have but its also thicker although i hear its nice stuff.
OX Trouthunter is 0.011 inch diameter for 15.7# which is pretty close to Grand Max. For sure Grand Max is a bit stronger but Trouthunter is reasonably close. One thing really important for guys who like to use the less known stuff. They may or may not be very accurate when it comes to what they state as their strength and especially diameter.

·
Registered
733 Posts
One thing really important for guys who like to use the less known stuff. They may or may not be very accurate when it comes to what they state as their strength and especially diameter.
Just because you consider it less known does not mean it is. There are a number of lines that far exceed the quality of the stuff hanging in a fly shop just because it says tippet.;)

Trouthunter is also listing 01X, 02X 03X Big Game tippet now but no specs that I can find. That might be interesting.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just because you consider it less known does not mean it is. There are a number of lines that far exceed the quality of the stuff hanging in a fly shop just because it says tippet.;)

Trouthunter is also listing 01X, 02X 03X Big Game tippet now but no specs that I can find. That might be interesting.
and just because it says "tippet" it automatically costs twice as much as the very same stuff spooled in larger quantities for spin fishing. Go figure !

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,145 Posts
I had some grand max that I had a lot of problem with it breaking in situations where it shouldn’t, I have used some regular spin fishing Seaguar red label Flouro I think in 10lb and like it and have had it for years.

Ande is probably my favorite cause it’s easy to come buy, and not as expensive.

I will have to check the sunline stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trouthunter Fluoro:

01x - 18.5 lb / .012 in
02x - 20.5 lb / .013 in
03x - 25 lb / .015 in

25m spools (27.34 yards) at $17.99 per spool (best price I could find online), so that's 66 cents per yard. Seems to be a bit cheaper than the Seaguar Gold Label ($18.99 - $24.99 FOR 25 yd spools -- price increases with diameter), which is the replacement for Grand Max.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Grand Max/Gold Label and Trouthunter are the same stuff. Both are double structure fluorocarbons made in Japan. They have the same diameters and breaking strengths generally, and they fared nearly identically in the Yellowstone Angler Tippet Shootout. The difference are likely within the manufacturing tolerances, and I'd guess that you might see more variance from one spool to another of the same brand than you might between one spool of Seaguar and one of Trouthunter.

I believe (based on reading various rumors across the Internet) that Seaguar or their parent company makes fluorocarbon for a number of brands, but they save the best technology for themselves. Somehow Trouthunter has been able to get the same technology, while I don't know if any other brands get access to the double structure material. I do know that Trouthunter is especially well connected in Japan, so that may be how it happened.

I'm still working through my spools of Grand Max, but I have spools of Trouthunter waiting for when they run out.

·
Registered
733 Posts
@WillyF Thank you for that info. I would be willing to bet Grandmax and Trouthunter have some relation. Same for fly lines, there are about 3 manufactures of fly lines making it for everyone. Sunline is out of Japan and makes stuff for other labels as well, they are the largest line-only manufacturing company in the world.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Does anyone use the Yo-zuri Flouro? I like the small spools it comes in so i can bring a few different tippet strengths in my in my chest pack without taking up much room. Never had a problem with it but no one else has mentioned it so it has me second guessing....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts