Seafoam ?

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by fishhawk, Feb 15, 2011.

1. fishhawk

fishhawk I Love microskiff.com!

I havn't ran my 20hp Yamaha in a couple month. I was thinking about running some seafoam thru it, but have never used it. Can anyone give me advise/tips on do and don't of this stuff.
    Thanks

2. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

I have a yamaha 20hp also, I swtiched to star-tron a little while after buying it and it seemed to do a better job IMO. Not to say seafam didn't work, but if you buy it make sure it is rated for gas with ethanol. then just add it to the gas as directed.

3. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

Bud how is it running? If you used star-tron, stabil, or any other fuel treatment you should be ok. Try it out on the house first to see how it runs. Put fresh gas in your tank, get rid of the old stuff at the dump/lawn mower/etc., and put some fuel treatment in. You should be good to go, if there are problems the carb may need to be cleaned.

What boat are you running now?

4. fishhawk

fishhawk I Love microskiff.com!

Put in seafoam and 3 gal. gas took it out today, runs great at high speed. But coughs at idle.

Hey Scott that is a sweet looking skiff you got there! I brought down one of my 16ft fishing camp boat it will be at Hog Key next with the Gheenoe boys. ;D

5. MITCH_NEWTON

MITCH_NEWTON I Love microskiff.com!

Might want to try this. I run it all the time in my motors. From Merc 250 XS to 25 hp Yamaha.

1oz. Marine Stabil takes care of stabilizing fuel and ethanol
    1oz Seafoam takes care of injectors
    1oz. Merc Quickleen takes care of rings and carbon
    per 6 gallons of fuel
    Doesn't cost that much and takes care of issues related to fuel. Will notice idling and runout improvement. Much less carbon in prop. :) :)