Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hewes Redfisher 18, I have seen a couple boats with Seadek, here are a couple questions for those that have experience with the stuff.

Once its on, how do you remove it?
If you have to repair it, I am assuming you have to remove part of it?
How durable is it?
Will it come apart eventually with use?
How long will it last?
Are there any areas that you would avoid putting Seadek on?

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

· Registered
1,135 Posts
Seadek is a cool product. Soft on the feet and helps damper the noise some.
With that being said, it is an absolute nightmare to remove. You may get lucky and have some large chunks but typically it comes up in small batches. The 3m adhesive is awesome until you go to remove:)
I will never install seadeck again.
As far as longevity it really depends, 5min, 5 years, lifetime. Just depends on how you take care it.
In my opinion, it was difficult to remove blood, etc.

Great product to install in non traffic areas, rod storage, gunnels, etc

I think it looks cool and great selling point for boats on the sales floor.

· I Love microskiff.com!
629 Posts
I've had SeaDek in my boat for about 2 years. Have not tried to remove it. I only have it in the cockpit of the boat and on the poling and casting platforms. It looks nice and is great on the feet, great for my kids. However, it is a pain to clean. After 2 years, I have one damaged spot from the pressure washer and a couple of other little nicks that I don't know the cause. It's a little dingy right at the helm where I stand/sit and takes a ton of cleaning to look good. There are other stains that come and go...a stiff brush, bright sun and some EVA cleaner help get it as clean as possible. I am very anal about my boat and keep it in the garage. I use it once to twice a week and average 100 hours of engine run time a year, a whole lot more fishing time.

I'm guessing I'll get another 2 years out of it before I am ready to remove.

It's very durable and is pretty difficult to damage, but you will end up with little nicks and tears. Be careful with the pressure washer

The good thing about your boat is that the Redfisher will have already been scanned so you should just be able to buy a kit without having your boat scanned. It is easy to install yourself. It will come in sections - this makes it easy to install and if you damage a section, you can order just that section and replace, if you are so inclined

· Panhandler
4,292 Posts
Not a fan. Yes, it's softer on the feet on the poling platform, but your feet also stick so you have to lift rather than slide.

Have been able to clean with soap and a stiff brush, but I certainly wouldn't want to do that to the entire cockpit or decks.

· Registered
251 Posts
My whole boat has seadek & it's 10 years old. No issues, however, it is kept in the garage. StarBrite Non-Skid Deck Cleaner with PTEF with a stiff brush has been effective for me. Also, for blood & guts a little Softscrub with bleach works ok.

· Registered
546 Posts
Granted mine is fairly new, but I love it. I have both platforms, under gunwale and cockpit floor all done, and I'm adding to the interior of my hatches. Yes it's going to be a task to clean, but I'm ok with that. How long it will last, no telling but my expectation is quite awhile.

· Registered
Maverick HPXS
1,321 Posts
I have had it on mine for about 2 years now with no issues even with a dog running on it both hunting and fishing. I also have had no issues cleaning it with starbrite hull cleaner and a pressure washer, oil, grease, blood, pluff mud all comes off.
I also have snow camp which does a great job hiding any blemishes.

I have also used the cheaper style sheets and can say they are not the same material and do not hold up as well.

· Registered
Maverick HPXS
1,321 Posts
I have had it on mine for about 2 years now with no issues even with a dog running on it both hunting and fishing. I also have had no issues cleaning it with starbrite hull cleaner and a pressure washer, oil, grease, blood, pluff mud all comes off.
I also have snow camp which does a great job hiding any blemishes.

I have also used the cheaper style sheets and can say they are not the same material and do not hold up as well.

· Registered
3,746 Posts
Since 2006. Looked nice and cleaned well with bleach. Light gray cockpit and black behind rod holders. After 5 years it stained and lost some texture. Last few years give or take it has become more slippery when wet. And nothing cleans shrimping mud stains off the black. Light gray has been hot on feet since day one when temps are mid 90’s and up. Unbearably hot. Would I use it again? Yes. Am I? Not sure.

· Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info guys, very useful, I will refurbish my Hewes Redfisher this winter. I plan on putting Seadeck on walls behind my rod holders under the gunwales. Looks nice and will pad my rods better than the carpet. I think I'll keep the rest of the boat without it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.