Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

SeaDek for floor

7K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  flyclimber 
#1 ·
For the people that have SeaDek on their floorboard, what have been the pros and cons of having it?

#2 ·
Vehicle Auto part Boat Car Inflatable boat

I had AquaTraction, same result and use as SeaDek. I loved it. It made the boat much quieter and the small amount of cushion immensely helped my back. The AquaTraction is a different foam type than the SeaDek, I’m not smart enough to know what is different though. It cleaned very easy even when there was blood on it or a squished whitebait ground it to it.

I won’t do it on my Bay Boat because it gets used much different, has really coarse non skid and I plan on keeping the boat for a long time. When I get another small boat I will do the cockpit again almost immediately.

#6 ·
View attachment 71616

I had AquaTraction, same result and use as SeaDek. I loved it. It made the boat much quieter and the small amount of cushion immensely helped my back. The AquaTraction is a different foam type than the SeaDek, I’m not smart enough to know what is different though. It cleaned very easy even when there was blood on it or a squished whitebait ground it to it.

I won’t do it on my Bay Boat because it gets used much different, has really coarse non skid and I plan on keeping the boat for a long time. When I get another small boat I will do the cockpit again almost immediately.
If you don't mind me asking, what was your price? You can PM me if you'd like. I am doing the inside of my heron 16 very similar to yours. I did Seadeks dyi template and got my quote, but it was pretty pricey. Mainly because I went with the 4 inch teak look, which makes it have to be 6mm thick for their routing design.

#12 ·
For my heron 16 with center console just on the floor inside boat and a pad on my rtic 45, it is about 950 for 6mm with the 4 inch teak design, and about 650 for regular 5mm with just one color. This is with shipping and the cost of the diy template factored in. You can also do 3mm which would be even cheaper.
When I bought the boat it had the storm gray teak on the poling platform. It looks awesome and feels great on the feet.

#9 ·
I have light grey sea deck on the flood of my Beavertail B2. To me its a constant up keep, always worried about people stepping into the cockpit with shoes or flip flops and leaving marks. Liquid dish washing soap does a good job of cleaning it back to new but its a extra step for washing the skiff every time.

#13 ·
Agreed. I try to bring a towel with me to ask people to wipe their feet before getting in the boat. It looks great when it is clean and it's really nice to walk on barefoot. But it is definitely not easy to keep clean. I'd debate on my next skiff doing it again.

Reactions: C Brueckner
#14 ·
I had pretty much white SeaDek in my old B2. I like it. Only issue I had was getting the power washer wand too close an cutting a little spot.

Clean it up with a tire brush and Soft Scrub with bleach. I believe it is even what SeaDek recommends.

#17 ·
I think what I have decided is right now it has the SeaDek along the insides of the gunnel to protect the rods and reels. It is also on the poling platform. I might put a small piece where I would stand holding onto the grab bar. Depending on what I do for the casting platform I would do the same there.
I’ve heard too many negatives that outweigh the benefits of doing the whole floor board.
Thanks to everyone’s input. Been very helpful.

#18 ·
I think what I have decided is right now it has the SeaDek along the insides of the gunnel to protect the rods and reels. It is also on the poling platform. I might put a small piece where I would stand holding onto the grab bar. Depending on what I do for the casting platform I would do the same there.
I’ve heard too many negatives that outweigh the benefits of doing the whole floor board.
Thanks to everyone’s input. Been very helpful.
A pair of comfy boating shoes and your good to go!!

#23 ·
My old boat stayed in the garage. That was another reason I didn’t hesitate to put on the AT. A lot of boats I see the stuff peeling or coming up are boats that sit outside or sit on a lift, in the sun.

No cushions?!

I went to flamingo one time and forgot to put my cushion on the boat. All weekend long I rode hard tail. I never did that again!! Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.