Seadek, Aqua traction, Hydro Turf, Ocean Grip...

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by Str8-Six, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Captandy

Captandy I Love microskiff.com!

If you are looking to have AquaTraction installed please give me a call at 2394040380.

2. Captandy

Aqua Traction is a PE foam vs the EVA from our competitors. It is 100% closed cell and cleans much easier. If interested give me a call at 2394040380

3. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

It's great so far. $60 for the same size sheet as the others that cost $180-200 I am willing to peel it off and put a new piece on if it ever stains or deteriorates for some reason. They supposedly make it for jet ski footwells so why would it not be durable enough for a boat? I love it so far. I have a full post about it on another recent thread I started about my new poling platform.

4. EvanHammer

EvanHammer I Love microskiff.com!

I've only used the Hydroturf and Seadek but any of these foams should cut fine with a utility knife (use a straight edge for straight cuts) and then you can use a trim router to detail the edge. Some pieces I have stuck in place and then trimmed with the router (so you get a flush edge without having to lay it down exactly right) or you can cut it and router the edge before peeling and sticking.

5. Str8-Six

Str8-Six I Love microskiff.com!

How does Seadek compare to hydro turf? I like the hydro turf but don't know if I would do my whole boat with it. Kinda stiff

6. EvanHammer

EvanHammer I Love microskiff.com!

I used the Hydroturf to put on the bottom of a ProTrim bucket where the old material had started peeling lose. Hard to compare it to Seadek (other than ease of install / routing) in that application.

7. Str8-Six

IMG_0568.JPG IMG_0569.JPG Update. Just got my free sample from Seadek. Shipped in 3 days and they send you a fair amount of samples. Seadek is around $150 a sheet and Hydroturf is around $110. Thing is Hydroturf doesn't have darker gray in flat foam. They have it in lighter gray which might work. Should be getting sample soon. And will compare.

8. Captandy

If you would like samples of AquaTraction we can certainly send you some. Are the prices you are referring to for 3mm material or 6?

9. Str8-Six

I believe it is 5mm and comes with 3m backing. Yes, free samples would be awesome. I'll send you a DM now.

10. 321nole

321nole Well-Known Member

just ordered a slate gray sheet from SBT to replace the carpet on my platforms. will post pics once installed

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  11. sidelock

sidelock I Love microskiff.com!

Why is white granite samples you show in your picture completely different color than SBT's website ?

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  12. Smackdaddy53

IMG_2580.PNG IMG_2581.PNG
    I took my photo near my rod building table with overhead flourescent lighting but it looks the same to me.

13. EdK13

EdK13 I Love microskiff.com!

Its nice stuff. Grippy. Man cave mood lighting.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  14. sidelock

sidelock I Love microskiff.com!

It does ? One looks like a light grey and the other looks like sand/tan to me.

15. Smackdaddy53

The lighting makes it look like that. It looks the same to me in person as it does on the website. Call the company and they will send you free samples.

16. Throw Plastic

Throw Plastic Active Member

Aquashine Marine literally just installed Aquatraction in my Maverick in my driveway yesterday.

Haven't had the pleasure of wearing it out yet but...

More stiff than Seadek. Was told it will soften a little but never as much as Seadek. Feels sturdier and like it will clean easier and last longer. Cuts are very nice.

Time will tell but I've been around Seadek my fair share and so far, I'm expecting I will like Aquatraction more.

However, there was a mixup on what color I asked for and the proof provided before production did not clarify... So just make sure you reiterate over and over again what color you want.

Also, I got a quote from Seadek. For the same money I didn't have to lift a finger or take my boat anywhere.

Again, time will tell how it holds up. Looks and feels great though.

Will add a pic. Will try to get a better shot tomorrow.

17. Throw Plastic

Aquatraction via Aquashine Marine - thumbs up so far:

[​IMG]

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  18. Smackdaddy53

Nice Maverick! It looks very nice. You did just the floor?

Throw Plastic likes this.
  19. Throw Plastic

Thanks SD. Cockpit and poling platform. Will put up another pic with a little more sunlight.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  20. Throw Plastic

I grabbed these pics this morning. Gave the boat a wash before taking over to Ameratrail. Which means I won't have back for a couple weeks. Unfortunately lighting wasn't much better - sunrise + shadow from house... But...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bryson and Smackdaddy53 like this.