Seadek, Aqua traction, Hydro Turf, Ocean Grip...

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by Str8-Six, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Str8-Six

Str8-Six I Love microskiff.com!

Looking to do seadek install on my Copperhead. Aqua traction seems to be best quality from what I read. Not sure how much it will cost for each but I'm looking to do all of the non-skid. Don't mind DIY project either just want to make sure it looks clean. Any opinions or recommendations?

2. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

I bought SBT sheet for mine and love it. $60 a sheet vs $200 for Seadek in the same size.

Fritz likes this.

3. Hardluk81

Hardluk81 Well-Known Member

I have the hydro turf and am happy with it. It seems very durable. The PO chose white so it's a PITA to keep looking clean. I've been thinking about replacing it with grey of the same stuff when I get my casting platform back from powder coat.

4. Str8-Six

SBT? Is that similar to Hydro-turf?

5. Smackdaddy53

Yes, I have it on my poling platform already and I am putting it on the casting platform and under the gunnels.

6. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

Smackdaddy where did you get your SBT? Is it easy enough to work with?

I'm doing a new boat soon and the SeaDeck is nice, but really expensive. An option like Hydro Turf for the poling and casting platforms sounds like a good idea.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  7. Smackdaddy53

http://www.shopsbt.com/jet-skis/blacktip-sheet-goods.html

State fish rob and Fritz like this.
  8. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

Thanks Smackdaddy, that might work nicely. You were able to cut the SBT easily enough so it looks okay?

I did a few SeaDek tops myself a few years back, they looked less bad as I gained experience, but my workmanship would not qualify as good.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  9. Str8-Six

Is it the diamond pattern or flat? I'm thinking of doing flat but not sure how grip compares to diamond. Currently have diamond on my cooler and platform. Works well.

10. Smackdaddy53

IMG_1118.JPG IMG_1846.JPG
    Yes it was very easy to work with and make look good. I cut mine with a razor blade. I got the white granite grooved sheet. It feels great on my bare feet on the poling platform.

Str8-Six, Atomic and Fritz like this.
  11. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

Big help, thanks Smackdaddy!

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  12. Hardluk81

Hardluk81 Well-Known Member

That pic is actually the same stuff (color/cut) that's in my boat.

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  13. MSG

MSG I Love microskiff.com!

SBT?????????????

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  14. Smackdaddy53

I post a link up top

15. CPurvis

CPurvis Well-Known Member

Just a helpful hint. When working with the EVA foam after making your cuts you can sand the edges straight with a little sand paper.

Awarsoca, Fritz and Smackdaddy53 like this.
  16. Smackdaddy53

Yessir just make sure you don't peel back the adhesive backing while sanding or the edges won't stick correctly.

CPurvis and Awarsoca like this.
  17. Backwater

Backwater Fly Fishing Shaman

I'm interested in seeing more feed back on this thread, since I have a project coming up that I need something like this to deck a skiff I'm working on. Smackdaddy, does it stain and do they offer any other colors? Colors there on that page are limited.

So what I'm curious about the other decking materials from those companies indicated in the title to this thread is, how are they priced, warranty, staining problems, wear.... one vs another.

Smackdaddy53 and Str8-Six like this.
  18. Shadowcast

Shadowcast Ankona Sales Rep

Great suggestion on the SBT....I'm going to need something for the poling and casting platform on the new skiff....

19. Blue Zone

Blue Zone I Love microskiff.com!

I've been by Ocean Grip here in Sarasota, complete asshats. Joe@carbon marine has some good stuff and he came by to do measurements in a semi-timely manner. He wanted a refundable deposit to make the trip; it comes off the bill after he makes the order. I haven't ordered it yet so I don't have anything to show you.

20. Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

I just ordered a gray sheet from SBT to go on my platform.