Sea Bass

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cutrunner, Jul 8, 2011.

1. cutrunner

cutrunner Cert. Yamaha technician

When i was in CostaRica (pacific side) i had some seabass at one of the local "questionable"resterants. Well it was excellent! We have seabass in my area (i believe) (middle east coast of florida) are they good to eat? How would you target them and where are they?

2. backwaterbandits

backwaterbandits Well-Known Member

Black Sea Bass are very good table fare.
    Used to be real common over here on
    the gulf coast and are still around, but not
    in the numbers they once were.
    A lot of resturants serve Chilean Sea Bass
    that I think are the same fish.
    Small but tasty. :)

3. HighSide25

HighSide25 Well-Known Member

go to 70-120' of water in the ocean. drop down half a squid. wait 30 seconds. pull up seabass. if no bites in 30 seconds, move half a mile and try again.

bad part, i believe it is illegal to keep see bass now, check out myfwc.com fishing regulations

4. floridanative1028

floridanative1028 I Love microskiff.com!

Do you put crack on your baits? :cool:

5. cutrunner

Lol Avenue D is in ft pierce, easy to pick up a couple 8 balls. :D. Only kidding

6. TheBrazilNut

TheBrazilNut Guest

Since you were on the Pacific side I doubt that is the same Sea Bass caught in the Atlantic. Also "The Chilean Sea Bass" real name "Toothfish"

7. jeross

jeross Fresh AND Salt ... it ain't my fault!

This is the Chilean Sea Bass

[​IMG]

As TheBrazilNut said, its real name is the Patagonian Toothfish. It's a deep water Pacific species. Your sea bass could have been virtually anything though, since local names can vary.

8. SilentHunter

SilentHunter Resin Slinger

royce i got the spot.

biggest one i caught there was 21 inch seabass.

and they are all 18-21 inches dude...

we can slay em

9. backwaterbandits

backwaterbandits Well-Known Member

I guess I should have said "Small but toothy" :)

10. cutrunner

Doesnt look too appetizing.. Whatever the fish was, its meat was like snapper but lighter and flakier.

11. djorgens

djorgens one more cast...

taken from http://www.myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/regulations/blackseabass/

Updated:  June 15, 2011

Atlantic OceanNOAA Fisheries Service determined that the 2010-2011 recreational annual catch limit (ACL) of 409,000 pounds for black sea bass (set in Amendment 17B) was reached before the end of the fishing year.  As an accountability measure, the recreational fishery for black sea bass in federal waters of the South Atlantic closed Feb. 12, 2011 and reopened June 1, 2011.  This action was intended to prevent overfishing of black sea bass.

In an effort to keep anglers from exceeding the annual catch limit for black sea bass in future fishing years, NOAA Fisheries Service approved regulations that reduce the recreational bag limit for black sea bass from 15 to five per harvester per day in federal waters of the Atlantic.  This bag limit reduction will take effect June 22, 2011 in Atlantic federal waters only.

Charter and headboats that hold federal snapper-grouper permits are required to abide by these federal rules, even in state waters.  The recreational bag limit for black sea bass harvested in state waters of the Atlantic will remain at 15 per harvester per day for anglers who are not fishing from federally permitted vessels.  State waters extend three nautical miles from shore into the Atlantic.

Regulations
    Size Limit (Total Length) Bag Limit
    State waters 12" Atlantic; 10" Gulf 15 Atlantic
    Federal waters 12" Atlantic 5 Atlantic (effective 6/22/11)

I have found these to be pretty numerous off east central florida. Any bait dropped down on interesting bottom > 55' deep will yield a seabass pretty quickly.

12. spr2500@aol.com

spr2500@aol.com I Love microskiff.com!

One of my all time favorite fish! Season opened here yesterday actually..
    [​IMG]
    I assume were talking different fish, as they only get to about 4-5lb max and the bigger ones get the distinct "knot" on there forhead and have bright blue highlights when they first hit the deck. They taste great and are aggressive little buggers!

13. cutrunner

^^ mm looks tasty

14. SilentHunter

SilentHunter Resin Slinger

that knot on the top of there head means its a male.

biggest i caught was 21-22 inches they were some big fillets.

15. FSUfisher

FSUfisher Well-Known Member

We catch those things near jetties and even upriver here on the St. Johns in Jax. There was even an article in the local paper about how black sea bass are expected to be the next big fish to go after now that everything else has been regulated out. Good eating!

16. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

[movedhere] General Discussion [move by] iMacattack.