Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Been plugging away at this, but no massive progress. We bought a house that’s a semi gut job so it’s been taking up a bunch of my time, but I’m trying to get in an hour or so every day on the boat.

Since all the holes drilled in the boat need to be filled with epoxy, I’ve had to figure out all of the wiring/rigging before I paint the inside. I’m extremely anal about wiring and in the first place, and trying to avoid all of the broken/pain to service stuff I’ve seen on other boats has made it even worse.

Everything is from Blue Sea or Ancor, and it is all crimped, heat shrinked, and covered with woven nylon wire loom. I’m also using Delphi Weather Pack connectors on bilge pumps, lights, etc, to make replacements painless, rather than trying to strip and crimp wires in the bow.

I’m using a trolling motor bracket to hold my shallow water anchor, which will also allow me to move my trolling motor to the transom to get it out of the way on the bow or help provide thrust when poling in bad conditions. Both batteries have ports connected that will allow the trolling motor, charger, and jump starter pack to be plugged in easily.

The rear triple switches will run the navigation, stern, and cockpit lights, and the single switch will run the auxiliary bilge pump. The float switch can be bypassed by unplugging it, and the bilge pumps can be swapped on the water with no tools.

The rod tubes are also in, but I still need to build bulkheads. I can fit 10’ 6” fly rods in the forward tubes (unlikely I’ll ever need that), and 9’ 6” rods in the aft tubes. My rod holders will be bolted on rather than glassed in to allow for simple re-designs. I’ll be able to hold 8 rods under the gunnels, 2 on the (eventual) poling platform, and 2 on the grab bar that will really only be used for re-tying or needing to set a rod down for a minute.

I’ve found that poly irrigation line make excellent chase tubes, I’ve used it in my cargo trailer also. Wires feed through it very easily, it’s flexible, and dirt cheap.

View attachment 60068 View attachment 60042 View attachment 60044 View attachment 60046

·
I Love microskiff.com!
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
Getting close to wrapping this up, I’ll post an update and pics soon. It’s the small stuff that takes forever, and just waiting around to figure out how to solve problems.

Sambar Hunt was postponed until this year due to hurricane Michael, looking forward to it.

The green boat in the pics is just a pirogue, I’ve built a few of them. This hull wasn’t a whole lot more difficult than those, but the decks and gunnels have been a pain.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Boat is basically done aside from a few odds and ends and a poling platform. Taken it on several lake trips, a family river trip, and got it in the salt for the first time yesterday. Jumped my first tarpon and caught a red, so I went and found a speck for a modified “slam”. Good mojo so far.

I’m extremely happy with how it handles, floats, runs, everything. It would not plane until I added the “trans sport/shaw wing” plate I added, which I expected. Runs 26 solo, I haven’t put a tach on it yet, and I may mod my motor to a 30.

Dry launch trailer works fantastic, if the rear roller is touching the water you can launch and and load easily.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
There was a lot of little stuff at the end that wasn’t turning out perfect and got frustrating. Two things that helped immensely were realizing that some things like epoxy drips take the same amount of work to correct in the future as they would now, and an interview I heard with Harry Spear saying “a boat is just a tool.”

·
I Love microskiff.com!
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Looks like Vertical Scope is hell bent on ruining this place as well, hope this isn’t the end but I may not be around much.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Nice job. I though about putting floor boards like yours in a previous skiff, but was afraid of all the crap that would fall between the boards.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Nice job. I though about putting floor boards like yours in a previous skiff, but was afraid of all the crap that would fall between the boards.
It was primarily to keep the floor from being a slipping hazard, I didn’t want to do non skid down there as it’s harder to clean. So far I’ve dropped a screw through them but jigheads and stuff don’t make it.

The whole floor is one piece and weighs about 25 lbs. It lifts out as a unit and isn’t fastended down, so it’s not a huge chore to remove for deep cleaning.

·
Mostly Harmless
2,159 Posts
This is freakin’ awesome! It turned out great! We haven’t seen a home build cross the finish line for ages and these jokers have forgotten how to react. You are legit and can now pontificate freely about all thing skiffish because you actually finished building a boat!

The fact that you caught real fish on your first salt trip is definitely good mojo. I think I had to use dynamite to dredge up a scrub smallmouth to get my first fish in my boat and I am about to start catfishing just because I am tired of getting skunked up here.

Nate

·
Mostly Harmless
2,159 Posts
Looks like Vertical Scope is hell bent on ruining this place as well, hope this isn’t the end but I may not be around much.
Yeah, it was nice little niche forum on some primitive platform and now the site has gotten popular enough that it is being used to try to sell me bed sheets.

Hang around and it will change again in a few years. They’ll eventually offer us an opportunity to pay a subscription to avoid most of the ads. That is when you know the soul is dead and you can move on.

Nate

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,141 Posts
Well.
Shrugs, I don’t care about FSU. Georgia is our true rival, I’d rather best Georgia one time then FSU 1,000 times. Georgia is in our division, y’all are not
Well
Shrugs, I don’t care about FSU. Georgia is our true rival, I’d rather best Georgia one time then FSU 1,000 times. Georgia is in our division, y’all are not
I'm a GT fan. Have been all my life then my oldest grandson went to UGA
Secretly I still root against those dawgs all I can get away with. My other grandson goes to Auburn...War Eagle!!!

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,141 Posts
Great looking skiff. Only question is what the hole in the stern for, anchor?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Great looking skiff. Only question is what the hole in the stern for, anchor?
Yeah, shallow water anchor bracket. I forgot the anchor pole at my shop, it’s a 1” solid fiberglass rod. I have it set up with a rope and cam cleat to the front deck so I can drop it and pull it up from there while running the trolling motor. Easy way to fish oyster bars in the bay by yourself when the wind is up. The bracket is actually a Minn Kota pontoon trolling motor mount, so I can operate the trolling motor from the stern also. Probably won’t be used much but I figure it might be handy to have some extra forward thrust if you’re up on the poling platform fighting a bad wind/tide.

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,141 Posts
So your going to add a PP platform. Do you have a cover for that hole in case it rains or rough water
Very cool skiff. You should be proud

·
I Love microskiff.com!
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
I’m a little confused now. If you’re talking about the open bow hatch for the anchor locker, yes it has a lid I just haven’t finished it up yet.

The boat isn’t self-bailing, so any water that comes in goes to the bilge. I did fully enclose the rear deck (no cutout for the motor clamp) so taking a wave over the stern won’t get water in the boat unless it comes all the way over the edge of the cockpit. Hasn’t been an issue backing down on the throttle yet

101 - 120 of 122 Posts