Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Time for an update, been plugging away but sanding the inside SUCKS. There are so many corners, it is zero fun. I’ve also been slammed with work and the weather has been horrible, on top of trying to buy land and getting ready for an elk hunt next month.

Anyway, the gunnels have been done for awhile, I built them out of plywood strips then trimmed them to shape and glassed them. Deck supports are also cut and epoxied into place, and the interior has been primed.

Hopefully finishing up the decks and gunnels will be simple, the bow cap will have an anchor locker in it and I’m mounting the trolling motor plug and accessory panel in the step between it and the deck. I’ll have a quick connect on the trolling motor battery so it will be easy to replace when it dies. Most boats are wired horribly, I’m trying to overcome that on mine.

After painting the interior and getting the trailer built, it will be ready to splash.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
How much does it weigh so far?
I haven’t weighed it yet, but I’m guessing the hull will be right around 300 lbs before rigging. That was my initial goal but I honestly haven’t tried to choose many lightweight options, so I figure I’d be happy with sub 350 lbs.

I’m not a big guy but can easily lift the bow with one hand and can lift the stern without much effort also. I’m surprised with how light it has ended up being, but plywood/epoxy composite tends to run with the best materials out there weight wise. I built a 14’ pirogue that weighs 45 lbs, Carbon Marine built a 12’ that weighed 41 lbs.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
is all wood fully encapsulated?
Yeah. The plywood panels were glassed on the insides before I glued them to the ribs. The ribs and keelson have been coated with epoxy. The deck supports aren’t coated yet but will be. The primer and paint are both marine grade also.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
What type of plywood?
It’s 5mm exterior lauan. The bottom is two layers. I didn’t want to invest a ton of $ in this hull as I modified the plans quite a bit. However, I’ve spent a ton of money on rigging but that could all be carried over if I build another hull.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Got the front deck cut out this week, the gunnels trimmed up, and the hatch for the anchor locker cut. I ended up cutting it with a circular saw and a jigsaw rather than a router, so I got the bow cap and lid out of the same piece.

$300 worth of wiring parts showed up, so mounting all that stuff is next.

8B1A64CC-252D-4AFF-9F4F-4C2D46BC2411.jpeg
B26B4F5C-2373-4F20-8D29-220D6E36B6D2.jpeg
5D30AF83-8C3F-499D-9257-A40610ABF294.jpeg
CAA6A782-92C3-4AC2-8D98-21415ACAFCDB.jpeg

·
I Love microskiff.com!
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
Back from the elk hunt and been working on the skiff a little, mostly rigging and wiring stuff to figure out how everything will fit. Ease of use and maintenance are huge to me, it’s aggravating when something that should be simple isn’t.

Front deep cycle battery is wired with a quick disconnect, so it can be pulled out easily when it dies or I want to shed weight without the trolling motor. Trolling motor trucks nicely onto the front deck and will be asily controllable with your left hand in skinny or rough water. Everything clears the anchor locker, which gives easy access to the front wiring. I will make a tool-less cover panel to keep the anchor from getting snagged on anything. I ordered a fold up cleat that will mount in the front of the locker as well.

Bilge pumps, drain plugs, fuel tanks, main battery, water separator, and fuse panel should be easily accessible without crawling under the rear deck. Battery switch and primer bulb can be reached from standing on either side of the boat, and I still have room for a third fuel tank in the middle for Everglades/Keys trips.

I ordered a white Pelican style case that should mount inside my grab bar to serve as a back rest for the passenger and dry storage for phones, keys, wallets, etc. It might work to mount my GPS/fish finder as well.

Still working on rod holders, I’ve decided to build them out of starboard and just screw them to the ribs so I can easily modify them as I figure out what works best. Still need to figure out my rowing setup as well, I’ll need raised oarlocks which I’ve found but want them to go on and off without tools or leaving holes in the deck.

6A7EFA37-F207-4C77-99A1-3F24752C9211.jpeg
BC07A3B1-38E0-4F5C-B7D6-8771EF861F76.jpeg
F815071A-9240-4BD3-B8EA-8E32AA7AB8E5.jpeg
3C2E50BB-435F-4553-9852-4518393B47DC.jpeg

·
I Love microskiff.com!
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
Been plugging away at this, but no massive progress. We bought a house that’s a semi gut job so it’s been taking up a bunch of my time, but I’m trying to get in an hour or so every day on the boat.

Since all the holes drilled in the boat need to be filled with epoxy, I’ve had to figure out all of the wiring/rigging before I paint the inside. I’m extremely anal about wiring and in the first place, and trying to avoid all of the broken/pain to service stuff I’ve seen on other boats has made it even worse.

Everything is from Blue Sea or Ancor, and it is all crimped, heat shrinked, and covered with woven nylon wire loom. I’m also using Delphi Weather Pack connectors on bilge pumps, lights, etc, to make replacements painless, rather than trying to strip and crimp wires in the bow.

I’m using a trolling motor bracket to hold my shallow water anchor, which will also allow me to move my trolling motor to the transom to get it out of the way on the bow or help provide thrust when poling in bad conditions. Both batteries have ports connected that will allow the trolling motor, charger, and jump starter pack to be plugged in easily.

The rear triple switches will run the navigation, stern, and cockpit lights, and the single switch will run the auxiliary bilge pump. The float switch can be bypassed by unplugging it, and the bilge pumps can be swapped on the water with no tools.

The rod tubes are also in, but I still need to build bulkheads. I can fit 10’ 6” fly rods in the forward tubes (unlikely I’ll ever need that), and 9’ 6” rods in the aft tubes. My rod holders will be bolted on rather than glassed in to allow for simple re-designs. I’ll be able to hold 8 rods under the gunnels, 2 on the (eventual) poling platform, and 2 on the grab bar that will really only be used for re-tying or needing to set a rod down for a minute.

I’ve found that poly irrigation line make excellent chase tubes, I’ve used it in my cargo trailer also. Wires feed through it very easily, it’s flexible, and dirt cheap.

E75E95B2-18BD-4F9F-A940-259A21099B3F.jpeg
9AA08807-152F-4945-8B4B-A5C55BF32279.jpeg
68655F92-15F5-4097-AC3D-F0AD742E6725.jpeg
33F0F9AB-D07C-4ABD-AD25-CACD93B9296F.jpeg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Clearly not your first boat build. That boat is looking sweet. I noticed that green hull on the shelf. Did you build it too? Great job!

81 - 100 of 122 Posts