Scratch build, new to boating.

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by Rustyrotor, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Rustyrotor

Rustyrotor Active Member

Friends, anglers, microskiffers....

I recognize that this query might be a PITA to some as it’s very likely much of this info already exists scattered all over the site. But think how much time it would take to find, and if we can compile a lot of it in one place, what a timesaver it could be. For all microskiffers.

So here goes:

Am a first timer, in the process of buying a hull and having the basics done by the builder.
    Am anxious to get everything right from the start, and to do it economically.

Been talking to a builder of a Flats Stalker 18.

Am looking for clean, simple, even minimalist, slick and clever.

The skiff will be mainly a one-man flyfishing platform.
    I live a thousand meters from the upper Potomac, 20 miles from landings on the lower Potomac, a two hour drive to the Chesapeake, and have ties to Charleston SC.

Am looking for:

*Best practices, as in do’s and dont’s, when it comes to communicating and coordinating with the builder.

*A short list of must-haves and don’t-waste-your-$ for a one-man microskiff.

*Preferred vendors, manufacturers and rigging of such items as dry electrical panels, lights,
    cleats, cooler mounting, seating, console, meaning throttle, steering, compass, battery and fuel rigging.

You get the idea.

Am putting in a console as my back, neck, and shoulders are a mess and I know a tiller is very rough on me.

Interested in your thoughts on poling platforms, poles, pole rigging, Micro Poles, GPS enabled trolling motors. I have one leg I shattered, with joint, muscle and nerve injury, so a poling platform makes me nervous.

Here’s a biggie. Given the proximity of the upper Potomac, jet or no jet?
    I still want to be able to, on good days, cross the Chesapeake, the tidal Potomac, Charleston Harbor...all big water.

I know that’s a lot, but there’s a lot of Microskiffers, with a ton of practical knowledge.

I look forward to learning from you.

Thank you Microskiffers!

2. Rustyrotor

Rustyrotor Active Member

Whoa. Is this what MS fail looks like? At least am not getting flamed.

Ok. Let’s start at the bow. Regular bow eyes snag fly line too often. I’ve been looking for something better, no luck yet. Anyone?

3. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

Fail, pretty much. The info you seek is so varied and has been covered so many different ways that most won't bother to post about it. Also, not trying to beat you up, but your post is so long and most have short attention spans. So they will read the first few sentences then click the back button not wanting to go to far down the rabbit hole. Then if the info is compiled like you want the thread will be so long most won't use it and just search more direct threads.

That being said, look up Gemlux pop up cleats. They are sealed so you don' need to plumb drains or anything. Very high quality stuff.

4. Vertigo

Vertigo Carpe Diem

Not to rain on your parade, but:

No to the jet. A FS-18 with a wheel and console sort of defeats the purpose. With back, neck, and shoulder problems and one leg shattered with joint, muscle and nerve injury, you should probably be thinking about an entirely different rig, something with a reason to have a console, something relatively stable and with good sitting room.

5. WhiteDog70810

WhiteDog70810 Mostly Harmless

Soooooo, I built a skiff that is basically a 16' flat back pirogue. I finished it while I lived in Gaithersburg, MD. I love it 'cuz it is mine and it worked great for hunting the marsh on the Eastern Shore. However, it was the entirely wrong boat for fishing the area; you can't hide from the big water and consistently catch fish in saltwater in Maryland IMO. The most productive areas seem to be 12-30' deep. Even the calm days in sheltered waters are tough because of all the big wakes from sportfishers and deadrises. The FS 18 has a touch of vee up front which will make it better than my rig, but it still has no business on the bay except for the calmest days. I also fished the upper Potomac above the falls out of the launch on the Monocacy near the Aquaduct. I ran a longtail mud motor and it actually did pretty well bouncing off the rocks. I would recommend a 18 HP Copperhead surface drive on the FS18 rather than a jet just because they are cheaper to work on and more utilitarian. That being said, a guy in Texas set an FS18 up with a jet and liked it. They make rock guards for regular outboards also. That might be the best compromise.

You will want a trolling motor. If you can afford an iPilot, you'd be crazy to get anything else. Poling doesn't work up there very well because the shallow flats are so limited and the fish are not necessarily on them. All the accoutrements for poling are unnecessary up there 98% of the time.

As mentioned, the FS18 is a simple skiff that really doesn't have the space for a console. If a tiller is out of the picture, you need to consider a different hull. I think the FS17 in a low sheer would be a good all around inshore boat for that area. You definitely want some type of mod-vee hull and I'd rather have more vee than less in that area.

Nate

6. Rustyrotor

Rustyrotor Active Member

I actually really get a lot out of in depth queries.
    Seems like sometimes you learn as much or more from the questions as from the answers.
    And I sure dont expect anyone to answer every question, just whatever floats their boat at that moment.

Why IPilot not Rhodan?

7. WhiteDog70810

I only say IPilot because it is all I know. I'll never be able to afford one for myself and I don't need it for where my boat operates, but, my lord, it would be absolutely awesome working structure in open water or current when dropping anchor is a waste of time. I'd love one for Maryland on a vee-hull.

Nate

8. fjmaverick

fjmaverick Well-Known Member

Rhodan is making a good product
    A lot of big center consoles are using Rhodan because of the shaft length available
    Dragonfly only uses Rhodan and I trust Mark's opinion
    For me it would come down to service and who is closer

Although microskiff has some nicely document builds
    A lot of the questions your asking may be answered more enthusiastically on https://forums.bateau2.com/

9. WhiteDog70810

Search for "La Flaca". He posted some follow-up regarding the performance of the FS18 with the jet. I should have suggested that in the first post.

Nate