Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been to ramp there lately? I heard it was fixed up and they dredged the channel recently.

Curious how deep the channel is now to get a larger skiff thru there?

·
Registered
242 Posts
That's where my profile pic was taken... before the dock floated away!

The more important question: how is the fishing in NIRL?

-- Carl

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok...so i went there the weekend before last and no issues.

Went there this weekend and barely made it thru the channel. Wind was out of the north this weekend, would that push the water south and make the everything in that vacinity lower water levels?

Is there any tidal changes on that side all the way north or does it die off kinda like the south lagoon side.

Trying to understand the area a little better, never really fished that side before.

Is that flat to the east productive at all? I took a cruise thru there on the way back and accidentally sight fished some lady fish :) Saw stuff moving around but didnt stick around long as i had to get home.

Looks like a war zone with all those crab traps by the channel.

·
Registered
98’ Whipray
337 Posts
D4CF054A-04F8-4BA1-8E74-7E39E5571320.jpeg
Lots of bait around. I launched out of there yesterday. Had the whole north end by ourselves. Caught a few nice trout and lost a massive red witch was heartbreaking for me.. :cry:
Watch out for propbenders. Freaking everywhere.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do u guys jump on plane while still in the channel for dock? I've been waiting till I cleared last channel posts.

Seems the trout are strong there. I've been heading south and slaying em.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I launch out of there often. Personally, I idle out to the second to last posts because I see a lot of manatees in the channel. Before they dredged it and fixed the dock, I would see a lot of guys hop up at the dock and zip out of there just to clear the exit by the rocks.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
464 Posts
Went there this weekend and barely made it thru the channel. Wind was out of the north this weekend, would that push the water south and make the everything in that vacinity lower water levels?

Is there any tidal changes on that side all the way north or does it die off kinda like the south lagoon side.

Trying to understand the area a little better, never really fished that side before.

Is that flat to the east productive at all? I took a cruise thru there on the way back and accidentally sight fished some lady fish :) Saw stuff moving around but didnt stick around long as i had to get home.

Looks like a war zone with all those crab traps by the channel.
Yes, a good north wind will drop the water levels substantially. Very, very little tidal flow in that part of the IRL. I haven't fished there in a while but last couple of times the grass on the flats was really hurting and sparse. That didn't stop the big trout from roaming the shallows, but the reds were not as thick as normal. The flat on the east can be good, especially on high water levels up against the bank

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've never launched there - could a small car towing a 15'4 Gheenoe successfully launch and retrieve there? I've fished the creeks to the north a few times in my previous skiff by running up the river from the south, but need to put the Gheenoe in a bit closer to the endzone.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've never launched there - could a small car towing a 15'4 Gheenoe successfully launch and retrieve there? I've fished the creeks to the north a few times in my previous skiff by running up the river from the south, but need to put the Gheenoe in a bit closer to the endzone.

You can easily launch a Gheenoe there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts