Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, another Conchfish build. I helped my buddy Don last year with his build, which was one of the first Conchfish built I'm pretty sure. If I didn't already have 2 boats I'd be building myself one, but this one is for another friend, Scott. We started the first week of June, and made quick progress, but work and the 4th holiday slowed things down a bit. We have it ready for glass, but need a day when we both have nothing else going on, but should be fairly soon. Nothing written in stone at this stage, but tentative plans are for tiller steer, 3 hatches, built in 8-10gallon tank, 30 hp?, no jack plate or tabs to start, wide gunwales with rod storage. I'm posting a bunch of pics for now, and will update somewhere down the line. I have a question for Chris if you're following along. When I helped Don with his we did 2 layers of cloth wet on wet one day, stopping there due to 90+ temps, and working in the sun, then Don sanded and did the third layer himself. On the inside he laid all 3 layers of the 10 oz. and saturated them all at the same time, per what he told me was your suggestion. Is that true, and is that a legit way of laying the glass, all 3 at the same time. Sure would save a hell of a lot of time and hassle. Thanks for any insight or suggestions. Sure is a fun way to build a boat, just wish it was going to be mine in the end. I'll definitely be building one in the future, even if I need to sell it, boat builder virus is a serious thing for sure. Mike
IMG_4881.JPG
IMG_4929.JPG
IMG_4925.JPG
IMG_4928.JPG
IMG_4952.JPG
IMG_4987.JPG
IMG_4986.JPG
IMG_4970.JPG
IMG_4966 (1).JPG

·
Registered
609 Posts
Awesome! I still refer back to Don’s build for reference and encouragement.

I’m pretty sure Chris will say doing all three layers of glass wet to wet is fine, maybe even ideal. I’m positive you’re a fool if you take advice from me... at least on boat building (my advice on money and women can also be pretty terrible), so we should wait for the smart guys to show up, they’ll be along shortly.

What was the thinking with wide planks on the flat stern? I’d like to just use one or two big pieces back there.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome! I still refer back to Don’s build for reference and encouragement.

I’m pretty sure Chris will say doing all three layers of glass wet to wet is fine, maybe even ideal. I’m positive you’re a fool if you take advice from me... at least on boat building (my advice on money and women can also be pretty terrible), so we should wait for the smart guys to show up, they’ll be along shortly.

What was the thinking with wide planks on the flat stern? I’d like to just use one or two big pieces back there.
We thought of using one wide piece from the transom going forward, but I think that would only be ok 2-3 feet going forward, where the bottom is really flat. We ran those 6" wide planks about 7 feet forward where the hull has enough of a curve that we were concerned it may not keep it's shape when the stations are removed and flatten out some. 6" planks worked great, and went together very quickly. We had some leftover 1 1/2" strips that we screwed down across the hull between stations to keep them better aligned, and it worked out very well.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
546 Posts
Seapro, nice to meet you.
Ok... everyone it does not matter how wide the core is in planks, it can be kerfed core only as long as it’s laid down fair. Once the glass skin is laid over the core on both sides it’s in sheer and it does not matter if it’s planks or little square core blocks.
NOW LISTEN TO ME.... lay the core on the jig, putty in the seam gaps a bit....THEN LIGHTY FAIR THE CORE.
Once done, that is the high spots are gone, the sharp chine edges are rounded enough for the glass to lay over easily then RESIN COAT THE HULL AFTER VACUUMING. DO NOT FAIR THE CORED HULL WITH PUTTY BEFORE GLASSING. Just glass the cored hull.Once Nicely glassed then add your fairing compound and fair the hull. Otherwise you are fairing your hull twice.
Let the fairing putty take care of your glass work.
I will be posting pictures on my Instagram site the next few days of me fairing rudders and daggerboards to show what’s up.
IT DOES NOT MATTER WHICH DIRECTION YOUR CORE IS GOING IN, JUST GET THE HULL STATIONS COVERED IN A FAIRISH MANNER, THEN GLASS. THEN FAIR.
Once flipped over you glass the inside and she will be as stiff as ever.
NOW, if it’s not to hot and you know your skill level with the thin skins of this design you can layup as many layers at a time as you can because it’s just not that thick. No heat build up.

I thank you all for the energy to want to build this design. She’s worth the effort.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
421 Posts
I noticed in one of the pictures the water heater in the background. Any concern with resin fumes and the pilot light as a possible ignition source? I may be way over thinking this, but in planning for my build (Boron) I’ve wondered about this since I’ll be using poly.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I noticed in one of the pictures the water heater in the background. Any concern with resin fumes and the pilot light as a possible ignition source? I may be way over thinking this, but in planning for my build (Boron) I’ve wondered about this since I’ll be using poly.
Thanks Chris for the prompt reply. When we built Don's last year he also faired with glass bubbles prior to glassing just to fill in all the imperfections in the way the foam laid down, so that's why we went ahead and did the same thing, although we used a mix of bubbles and micro balloons. We wet out all the foam before spreading the filler, and now that it's sanded down we have a near perfect hull to glass. I figured it would make the glass lay down better with less chance of air pockets etc., but I guess all we needed to do was sand the foam. Oh well, it wasn't that many hours extra work, and gave Scott lots of practice learning how to fair and sand. Chris, do you plan on releasing plans for a smaller version, like the Skate, I think it would be a fun little skiff to build someday? Mike

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,821 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Someone actually started one -- we really should use it. I'll see if I can find the link.

edit: found it -- http://morejohnbuilders.freeforums.net/

I have an excel sheet with all kinds of snippits from these threads. There's some good information on this forum. I was going to send a copy to @Fritz , but it has grown too big to mail lol.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have an excel sheet with all kinds of snippits from these threads. There's some good information on this forum. I was going to send a copy to @Fritz , but it has grown too big to mail lol.
I’ve been doing the same thing, cutting and copying notes and tips, Chris will eventually ‘write the book’ but until then...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
546 Posts
Thanks Chris for the prompt reply. When we built Don's last year he also faired with glass bubbles prior to glassing just to fill in all the imperfections in the way the foam laid down, so that's why we went ahead and did the same thing, although we used a mix of bubbles and micro balloons. We wet out all the foam before spreading the filler, and now that it's sanded down we have a near perfect hull to glass. I figured it would make the glass lay down better with less chance of air pockets etc., but I guess all we needed to do was sand the foam. Oh well, it wasn't that many hours extra work, and gave Scott lots of practice learning how to fair and sand. Chris, do you plan on releasing plans for a smaller version, like the Skate, I think it would be a fun little skiff to build someday? Mike
You are doing a fantastic job, I’am just trying to save time for others.
I am 6 hours later in time here in Hawaii. I will be off sailing the 24th of this month to BC Canada so will be at sea for a month. The only way to contact me then will be via my Garmin Enreach and texting.
This winter I will be in NC building a couple of skiffs and will come out with a few Skate size skiff designs. Right now I just have too much going on to finish.
When I finish my sailing voyage I would like to form a CONCHFISH association to log in all the finished skiffs as they are launched. Have a list of all builds going on etc and try and get builders to share jigs built with new builders near by. Right now these designs are being built in Australia, Abu Dhabi and in the US from Colorado and Texas out east.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are doing a fantastic job, I’am just trying to save time for others.
I am 6 hours later in time here in Hawaii. I will be off sailing the 24th of this month to BC Canada so will be at sea for a month. The only way to contact me then will be via my Garmin Enreach and texting.
This winter I will be in NC building a couple of skiffs and will come out with a few Skate size skiff designs. Right now I just have too much going on to finish.
When I finish my sailing voyage I would like to form a CONCHFISH association to log in all the finished skiffs as they are launched. Have a list of all builds going on etc and try and get builders to share jigs built with new builders near by. Right now these designs are being built in Australia, Abu Dhabi and in the US from Colorado and Texas out east.
Chris, I have to ask, when you started selling plans, did you ever expect there would be so many guys willing to tackle a home build. The primary reason for me building my first skiff, Jacque's Mertens' FS18, was economics. I could not possibly afford any of the skiffs I wanted, and had fished my buddy's Glades Skiff for 4 years, and had to have a skinny water boat. If my financial situation was different, I wouldn't hesitate in buying a skiff for 30-50 grand, hell, a new truck costs that much, and all I do is drive it to work. So, being a poor carpenter forced me into building a boat, which was the first of 4 of Jacques' stitch and glue designs, then assisted Don with his Conchfish, and now building Scott's. What's crazy is I can't wait to start another, it's that much fun and satisfying. Thanks Chris for such a nice detailed set of plans, very easy to follow. Mike

·
Banned
4,551 Posts
Chris, I have to ask, when you started selling plans, did you ever expect there would be so many guys willing to tackle a home build. The primary reason for me building my first skiff, Jacque's Mertens' FS18, was economics. I could not possibly afford any of the skiffs I wanted, and had fished my buddy's Glades Skiff for 4 years, and had to have a skinny water boat. If my financial situation was different, I wouldn't hesitate in buying a skiff for 30-50 grand, hell, a new truck costs that much, and all I do is drive it to work. So, being a poor carpenter forced me into building a boat, which was the first of 4 of Jacques' stitch and glue designs, then assisted Don with his Conchfish, and now building Scott's. What's crazy is I can't wait to start another, it's that much fun and satisfying. Thanks Chris for such a nice detailed set of plans, very easy to follow. Mike
Thats badass right there Carpenter. Awesome actually!

Reactions: makin moves

·
Registered
430 Posts
What specs on the Conchfish 16? what do you all who are building think the estimated cost when done will be? not accounting for time of course, sorry if this was covered already, these builds are all badass

·
I Love microskiff.com!
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What specs on the Conchfish 16? what do you all who are building think the estimated cost when done will be? not accounting for time of course, sorry if this was covered already, these builds are all badass
Don't have the plans in front of me, but I think 16'4" and about 72" beam. Should weigh between 300-350 pounds. Cost, I'd say between 5 and 6 grand. Mike

·
I Love microskiff.com!
546 Posts
I have always figured there would lots of people wanting to build their own skiff. What was just needed was a good well proven hull shape and some good backup for advice. It has taken a couple of years to get the momentum going along with a thousand emails back and forth but now the world can see by all of your jobs how a skiff comes down to just one day at a time to build.
The reason you don’t see as many skiffs being built is there are millions more cars, motorcycles and mechanical vehicles out there being built by regular guys than there are skiffs being owned. A good show on tv would be filming the skiff shops and their work, Brian Floyd, Glassers Shop, Tom Gordon’s, the skiff shop and so on.
The skiffmarket is very small still. The Bateau skiff builds are great, but to get a more complicated hull shape you have to build like the CONCHFISH/Beryllium skiffs.

I feel that this site should set up a colum page just for skiffs being built using plans only. This way everyone will stay on this site and use it for all the tips and inspiration here. If you go to the site set up in my name you leave this site and Micro skiff loses advertising revenue.

After I finish my last leg of sailing the Pacific this month then I will be setting up shop in Mt. Olive NC to build and record a couple of custom designs of mine for the book I have been writing. I will have lots more skiff designs available this winter to fit all needs.

All it takes is a bit of space and the inspiration to build.

Glad you like the plans, it’s a work in progress.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 34 Posts