Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Scott STS 7wt line recommendation

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  tx8er 
#1 ·
Just picked one up on the flea and looking for some direction on line choice for calmer day trout and reds on the Texas coast. I don't currently have a 7 so no existing lines to try. I do have several Cortland 6s I am going to try.

TIA

#2 ·
Cortland what? Are you trying to use it for short shots or medium to distance shots? If it's the older run of the STS, they were nice casting rods, tho not exceptionally fast. But a great fishing fly rod. Personally, I'd either match it up to a SA Mastery Saltwater tapered floating fly line for Texas. Your waters in TX are cooler than ours down here in Florida during the cooler months and that line will behave for you year around. There are other lines I could recommend, but for where you are at and the conditions with that rod, the 7wt SA Mastery Saltwater will be a good all around line since for me, the STS's preferred more true to weight fly lines. If you were doing more short quick shots to reds, then I'd compare casting the same line in the 7wt Sa Mastery Warmwater Redfish, or the Wulff Bermuda Triangle Taper 6wt line (thinking the 7wt BTT will be too heavy for that rod).

There's a well known member here on microskiff called "Snookdaddy" that has had many of Scott rods and will have more dialed in input to what line he prefers with the STS's. Hopefully, he'll chime in. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.