Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Scott Sector vs. Wave

1082 Views 17 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Scrob
Does anyone have any experience with the Scott Wave vs. the Sector?? Specifically, the 6 wt. I have had a 6 wt. Sector in the past. I liked but it did not feel like a 6 wt. I expect a 6 wt. to feel very light in the hand. When I had the Sector, it felt more like a light 8 wt. to me which is not what I want for that kind of application.

Best 6 wt's I've thrown...
Lamson SS
Orvis Helios 2
Clutch Archipelago
Allen Icon 2

Thanks!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
189 Posts
The Scott tidal 6wt(I actually hated every other model in this series) was one of my favorites from Scott, personally always preferred it over the meridian and sector 6. That being said, I love the wave series of rods. They’ve quickly become one of my favorites from Scott, the entire line up is awesome. The 6wt isn’t as beefy in the butt section as other Scott salt specific 6s but it does a phenomenal job dropping light flies, delicately, with accuracy. It has the power to drive through wind, is good in short, medium and has the ass to get out to 80(which isn’t that practical anyways). Big fan of the wave!

· Registered
1,197 Posts
Subbing in to tout Hardy’s Zane Pro and Zephrus 6s. Love them. 6 wts are hands down my fav to fish. Along with the current Zane Pro I have a Barclay big lil stiffy and OG fenwick glass. I have had the Scott 8’4” sector, Sage One 691, NRX, and a meridian 6 iirc.
What all this means is that I will try the Wave 6 and the new Sage 6 and any other salty 6 that I can.

Reactions: Shadowcast

· Fly Fishing Shaman
6,347 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the Scott Wave vs. the Sector?? Specifically, the 6 wt. I have had a 6 wt. Sector in the past. I liked but it did not feel like a 6 wt. I expect a 6 wt. to feel very light in the hand. When I had the Sector, it felt more like a light 8 wt. to me which is not what I want for that kind of application.

Best 6 wt's I've thrown...
Lamson SS
Orvis Helios 2
Clutch Archipelago
Allen Icon 2

Thanks!
In your 6wt quest only (I'm sure it's your quest for your perfect 6wt)....

You list of 6wts you casted...
Lamson SS - Meh - somewhat stiff for a 6wt, but "ok."
Orvis Helios 2 - The best in your list.
Clutch Archipelago - Broom stick, not what I'd call having much fun casting.
Allen Icon 2 - They are trying, but it hasn't clicked for Allen yet.

Replies above....
Scott Tidal 6wt - Heavier butt section (good for lifting and short shots) but softer mid and tip, so not super light in the swing - I think the best of the Tidals is it in a 9-10wt which it becoming stiffer mimics being slightly faster in those weights.

Hardy Zephyrus and Zane Pro 6wt. Same dynamics as the Tidal above, but lighter and slightly faster with more feed back during the cast and quicker rod recovery in the mid and tip, so less bounce. Still, both of these rods in the 6-8wts are just Ok for me, (except in the 1pcs 8wts). But both of these rods shine from 9-11wts. Same deal, as they go up in rod weights, they get continually stiff and then that causes them to have a faster feel to help carry that heavier line and then those rods come alive with casting power. Same deal with the T&T Exocetts.

Depending on what you are looking for and your budget...

For distance beach fishing and light open flats...

For a budget,...
TFO Axiom 2X in a 6wt.
The new Orvis Recon

Oldies but goodies.... May find a used one
BVK 6wt
Redington NTi 6wt (Pre-FarBanks good luck finding one)
Redington DFR 6wt (Pre-FarBanks good luck finding one)
Loomis GLX classic 6wt
Orvis Helios & H2

For more dough from the piggy bank, try these out...

Douglas Sky
Sage Method (used, pre-igniter, but slightly softer).
Scott Meridian (tho a little softer in the 6wts)
Clutch Core (their cheapest rod, but actually bends like a fly rod, instead of a straight piece of steel rod). Still, bottom of the list here).
Loomis IMX Pro (Not bad in a 6wt).
Have you tried the Orvis H2D?
Sage Maverick Has a more flex feel to the rod that ultra fast rods like the Igniter.

Of course, for the expensive ones... well, there are some but Yikes... $$$

It might be that you are looking for something that is fast but more of a progress bend to the rod and helps you to feel what's going on and also causes it to take less effort to cast with normal mid ranges (not super far and not super close).

Also remember to try other lines from your fav Monic (1 line wt heavier than stated) and going with a true to weight 6wt line. Also amping up the quality of your line can make all the difference and trying to only use flies that are actually sized and weighted to a 6wt line. SA Amp Infinity Salt, SA Amp Saltwater or redfish, Cortland Liquid Crystal or throw a 5wt Monic or Rio, since both of those are 1 line size heavier than stated. Sure, if you have a super fast rod like the Igniter, than the 6wt Rio, Monic or Wulff will help it to bend deeper down in the blank, but then again, it'll be like throwing a 7wt (get it?).

Be careful of throwing lead eyes, bushy bodies, wind resistant bodies, heavy hooks and lots of epoxy on the head, all of which can change how your fly line handles it, as well as tight loops being able to throw them without it tailing during the cast. Sticking with bead chain eyes (if needed), smaller epoxy 3D eyes and smaller scaled down sized flies, tied on #6-#4 size hooks helps.

No doubt, I have a fondness for a good 6wt, which is actually my most fav rod to throw where ever, whenever possible, because when your casting is spot on (that's another story), takes very little effort to throw.

Water Sky Shorts Casting (fishing) Lake

Ted

· Ankona Sales Rep
2021 Ankona Advent
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In your 6wt quest only (I'm sure it's your quest for your perfect 6wt)....

You list of 6wts you casted...
Lamson SS - Meh - somewhat stiff for a 6wt, but "ok."
Orvis Helios 2 - The best in your list.
Clutch Archipelago - Broom stick, not what I'd call having much fun casting.
Allen Icon 2 - They are trying, but it hasn't clicked for Allen yet.
Thanks for dissertation. I can always count on "The Shaman." I know you hated them, but I really liked the Clutch rods.

For me those 6wt...with my Monic line cast great (with my stroke) and delivered the fly how I needed it. You can add the Sector to that list as I liked how it cast, just wasn't crazy about the larger feel for a 6wt. I have an Echo Boost Blue 6 coming my way and hope that Echo starts building the Prime II in a 6 and 7wt. I was really just curious if the Wave was a lighter feel like they touted on their website.

· Fly Fishing Shaman
6,347 Posts
Thanks for dissertation. I can always count on "The Shaman." I know you hated them, but I really liked the Clutch rods.

For me those 6wt...with my Monic line cast great (with my stroke) and delivered the fly how I needed it. You can add the Sector to that list as I liked how it cast, just wasn't crazy about the larger feel for a 6wt. I have an Echo Boost Blue 6 coming my way and hope that Echo starts building the Prime II in a 6 and 7wt. I was really just curious if the Wave was a lighter feel like they touted on their website.
Ouch, felt that sarcasm. Bro, part of what I say, I'm not talking to you directly, but to some that might be reading who are thinking about a 6wt. So I'm not knocking you in any way, but suggesting to a broad range of viewers. Take away what you want or not and spit out the bones.

Yes, If Echo makes a Prime II in a 6wt, then they'd have something. Ask Dave if they are coming out with one.

Sorry I was knocking your fav Clutchs. But in the end, the results of the company reflected their product, their policies and their glorious pricing at the time for a newish startup in the industry. Tho I do feel so bad for Lee (I was introduced to him once and he seemed pretty cool) with his personal life tragedy, but aside from that, yes the rods were fast, but stiff and lacked soul.

Yes yes, the Sectors, the Igniters, H3's, the NRX+, Sky 2.... All ultra fast and all upper shelf. It comes down to splitting hairs unless one's "A" game is so refined, that they can actually take advantage of the slight advantages they offer. Having that very specific need/use they offer is mainly the only advantage I really see vs an all around rod. Plus getting the right fly line is the real trick for that specific use, which these act differently with different lines (not all cast the same with the same line).

I actually think if you just matched your fav 6wt rod with a true to weight 6wt line (like a top shelf SA Amp 6wt Line (an Amp Infinity comes to mind)) with a small fly, and slow down your casting stroke, you'll look at your 6wt you have in-hand differently. Also, my experience with them (6wts) is they are different animals than most of your other saltwater rods in your quiver and they need to be babied, thrown slower and more gently, then the rod will wake up for you.

Sometimes I think about getting that perfect rod (for me) is that the journey can actually be the destination. To anyone else out there reading, please go cast one at a fly shop or try out a buddies setup on the water (and remember, water tells no lies) before you settle on one, before you take advise from someone and then go buy one off of that. From what I've observed over the decades of observing casters, everyone throws differently and each has something different about the rods they like while others like a different feel to the rod (with their skill set they have at the time) with different needs. So casting on a pond or water will determine what someone likes and what they don't like.

Cheers!

· Ankona Sales Rep
2021 Ankona Advent
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ouch, felt that sarcasm. Bro, part of what I say, I'm not talking to you directly, but to some that might be reading who are thinking about a 6wt. So I'm not knocking you in any way, but suggesting to a broad range of viewers. Take away what you want or not and spit out the bones.
No ill intent. Just breaking your stones. Much of what you say encourages deeper thought into all this and presents new perspectives that anyone can discover.

· Registered
331 Posts
Enjoying the 6’s much more as I age. Recently spent a day with a friends A2x five and the Scott 846. Both very nice casters.
I have been looking for a smooth 6wt blank for a winter project, just can’t make a decision. I do like the lower swing weight on some of the shorter options for the creeks.

· Registered
225 Posts
I had the 9ft 6wt sector and just switched it for the 8’4 version. I like both of them and like the shorter version better just for the lighter feel and easy casting. I understand when people say it feels like a bigger rod, but I just think it’s a very salt specific design that is meant to not be shut down on windy days. I don't live near the salt but do a ton of open water casting from a boat so that works for me. That being said, if that raw power isn’t desirable then my other favorite 6wt was the zephrus. That rod was light, had a ton of bend/feel/soul, and also great line speed at the same time. If I needed another 6 (which I don’t), then I’d be looking for another one of those.

· Fly Fishing Shaman
6,347 Posts
I understand when people say it (feels like a bigger rod, but I just think it’s a very salt specific design that is meant to not be shut down on windy days.
Yeah and that's a good point where if not casting according to the wind, then muscling through it with just that one rod, you'd need that one rod that covers more bases (lacking lighter swing weight, can cut through wind, but having to deal with a stiffer rod on calmer more normal days), otherwise resorting to an 8wt or something like that.

Yeah the Zephyrus 6wt is nice, but for me, I have to slow down my cast even more to cause it to do what I want it to do. But I do prefer a more crisper 6wt w/o adding stiffness throughout that specific rod. I've never thrown the NRX+ freshwater in a 6wt. That might be an interesting rod in that weight.

· Registered
64 Posts
While you are experimenting, try out the Edge rods by Gary Loomis. They are very well priced, and I love my 6 weight rods. I have a fast action I use for saltwater, and his medium action that I have used several times on float trips down the Gunnison in the Black Canyon. This is a Tampa Bay red I got on my original cork handle 6wt. The newer rods have a carbon fiber grip. The grips have held up amazingly well.

Water Sky Vertebrate Outdoor recreation Fisherman

· I Love microskiff.com!
1,214 Posts
The Scott tidal 6wt(I actually hated every other model in this series) was one of my favorites from Scott, personally always preferred it over the meridian and sector 6. That being said, I love the wave series of rods. They’ve quickly become one of my favorites from Scott, the entire line up is awesome. The 6wt isn’t as beefy in the butt section as other Scott salt specific 6s but it does a phenomenal job dropping light flies, delicately, with accuracy. It has the power to drive through wind, is good in short, medium and has the ass to get out to 80(which isn’t that practical anyways). Big fan of the wave!
Funny how tastes vary- I have the Scott Tidal in 8wt and 10wt and I absolutely love both of them. Haven't cast the 6wt though.

· Registered
223 Posts
Wanting to get the new wave in hand. Have a sector 6wt which I absolutely love. Without question it is chunky and not the lightest in hand that being said when you are casting this rod it comes to life with smooth easy stokes and cast true to weight fly line which is huge for me! Great close in and can carry a good amount of line a reach out when needed. Has more power and can handle a little bigger fly and some breeze than other 6wt I have casted.

· Registered
181 Posts
I have the 6 wt Sexyloops Hot Torpeedo - maybe not as light as you're looking for (feels plenty light to me), but the line speed and control blew everything else out of the water that I tested (T&T, Scott, TFO, Orvis, Sage). It has amazing power, but a lot of very good feel to it. Can handle a heavier line but feels snappiest with a true to weight line - I'd actually use a 5.5 line instead of a 6.5 for lines 1/2 weight heavy.

FWIW I agree that the 6 weight Sector felt a little "beefier" than I would have liked. It almost felt heavier than the 7, and preferred a heavy line, as well, so kind of defeats the purpose of a 6 weight haha.

From what I've researched the 6 wt Stickman would also be a good option - folks rave about them, supposed to be very light and snappy.

· Registered
217 Posts
As ReelBoi said, the Sector 846 is a rod you should try. I found it's swing weight low and my distance/accuracy was as good as a 9' rod (Radian, Helios 3). Using a heavier line (Mastery Titan Wf6F) and will try a 7wt line this spring. In fact, I prefer the 846 vs. the Sector 907.

I also love my Centric 906/FB... talk about a 'do anything' rod. I've used it inshore and it did great, but I typically stick with freshwater w/Centric.

· Registered
399 Posts
"Also, my experience with them (6wts) is they are different animals than most of your other saltwater rods in your quiver and they need to be babied, thrown slower and more gently, then the rod will wake up for you."

Well said @Backwater. This is what I think about when fishing my Orvis 6 wt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts