Schools..of what?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SClay115, Oct 29, 2010.

1. SClay115

SClay115 Throwin' loops

So check this out, I occasionally head over to this retention pond near my house, if only just for some fly casting practice. I don't really catch anything, but I see a ton of carp, and have brought in an extremely small Largemouth, and an equally small panfish of some kind.

However, I was out there yesterday evening, and during my time there, I would see schools of something spooked. Whether it be from an overflying bird, or some other reason, but the water about 100ft off the shore would just turn into a wave pool of critters taking off in every which direction.

So, the thing is, I am trying to figure out what they are. Since, well, there are apparently a lot of them, and they are quite sizable, judging by the head wake they are creating as they bolt.

My first thought was carp, since they can grow to be fat like a whale in these sorts of waters, but do they group together in schools? And I was under the impression that they usually travel along the bottom, not anywhere near the surface, which is seemingly right where these guys are.

And to answer ahead of time, unless they are some fancy breed of turtle that has gills, they are not turtles. Nor gators.

Anybody have any idea? This pond was mostly inactive until I saw that last night, now I am intrigued...

Steve

2. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

Probably Tilapia. But they could be carp. Carp are often called golden bonefish, they can be a real challenge. Tie on a #10-8 nymph (color to match the weeds). The trick is it's got to be under their nose, but if you cast to close all you get is a rooster tail. Carp can be just a spooky and selective as a well educated cold water trout. You will learn to stalk and present a fly flawlessly if you spend time hunting carp with a long rod. Have fun! I need to find a carp pond around here.

Swamp

3. SClay115

SClay115 Throwin' loops

I've read, surprisingly, a LOT about fly fishing for carp. It's amazing how some species just get regarded as a "junk" fish. I, for one, would love to crack the code on fly fishing for carp. Since they are basically everywhere, and they grow to seemingly mutant sizes.

Any specific nymph? I have many that are held over from my trout days. Suppose it wouldn't really matter, just something with some weight if they are deep. Wish I had gotten a good look at what sort of fish they were.

If they stay in the middle of the pond, they are out of my casting range, any idea what time of day/season they might move into the shallows? I occasionally see them tailing on another piece of water around there, but there is minimal room to cast or stand..

Steve

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Don't get too excited, that commotion may be golden shiners,
    a bait fish stocked to provide forage for bass in man made ponds.

5. skinny_water

skinny_water Well-Known Member

My vote is Tilapia. They are starting to school up in a couple of the lakes that I frequent.

6. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

Your standard nymph patterns should work, Hares Ear, Bitch Creek, Etc.  Small Wooly Buggers or crawfish patterns can work well also.  They can get picky, throw the kitchen sink at them.  Vary your retrieve.

They will move into the shallows to spawn in the spring.  They can be a bit preoccupied but are more approachable.  You can also chum them in with bread and tie a Bread Fly out of deer hair or foam.

BTW: Brett, those Golden Shiners can be a hoot on a 2-3 wt especially when they get close to 12".  Surprised the heck out of me the first time I caught one.  If you get good at it you I'll bet you can make a killing selling them to the bass fisherman too!

Swamp