Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 21 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting to start painting my 14’ Jon boat soon, will take a while since winter is here. I should catch some decent paint days every now and then though.
Put the final coat of waterproofing on my transom board today, had several bugs become part of the finish. That’s gonna p*ss me off if it happens during paint. Would you guys recommend a decent tarp shed that I can use to protect the wet paint from bugs, dust and dew?
I think a 10x20 would be big enough. I’ll be rolling and tipping, not spraying BTW.
Thanks, Shell

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Saw that, I have Lowe’s, HD, NTools, and HF here in town. Plenty to pick from.
My first thought was go cheap and don’t bitch when it tears up as long as it gets you through a few months.
But... it would be cool if I could park the boat under it.
Are the more expensive tarp sheds waterproof, and how long should I expect it to last? Is there a huge jump in quality along with price? Or are the more expensive ones just less crappy? Thanks

·
Registered
534 Posts
I’ve been researching these a lot lately as I want one too use as a greenhouse/shadehouse. To me it looks like King Canopy or Quictent make the best ones. A couple of hundred dollars should get you a good quality unit if that’s what you’re looking for.

B

·
0 Posts
If spraying paint under a plastic tarp canopy do not expect the tarp to last! The airborne solvents in the paint will dramatically reduce the life of the tarp... in like, it will begin to fall apart within weeks of spraying. The solvents rise and coat the tarp then begin to eat it! This had been my experience and is just another disposable when performing the task.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ll be rolling and tipping. Won’t be spraying. I just need something to fight the bugs, dust and dew while I paint and I’d like to be able store the boat under it for a couple years after I finish.
I’m seeing a price point break in a few brands, ~$250 for a 10x20, then an upgraded version for ~$400 for a 10x20.
How many years are you guys getting out of the ~$250 models out there?

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
After the fact if you go to replace the tarp I have a 10x10 I use to cover my wood pile. I use the heavy duty grey and brown tarps. I get about a year out of them before they start to break down.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
My guess is any material that comes with the assembly is crap. All
My dads fell apart. Made to last a season or two at most. If you were to change the fabric to some expensive material like those made by Sunbrella you would be happier in the long run.

·
Brandon, FL
10,517 Posts
Before you start painting use yard gard for a few consecutive day to kill the bugs and keep them away.

Wet the ground before to keep the dust down.

No comment on canopies as they are all junk.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update, I got the HF tarp shed. Put it together carefully, used self tapping screws on all the joints so it couldn’t pull apart, wrapped the seams in duct tape to protect the canopy from chafe, made sure the anchors were deep and tightly attached.
20-25 mph winds came through for the next 24 hours and after seeing how much it moved around, brackets and poles were already bending, canopy had somehow managed to get a tear, took that thing back to HF in a pile and got a refund.
I can’t see how tarp sheds are viable. Not without going with a WAY better version. Needed improvement in materials, design, everything. Was pissed. Lotta work for exercise.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I’ve looked at a few to use as a shadehouse for my hydroponics/aquaponics garden but I’ve just about decided to do a post and beam/timber frame structure.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GaG8tor, same. :nod:
I brought the boat to my house in AR that I’m getting ready to sell. Working on it in the garage when I get burnt out on remodeling.
Smack, yes, or a parachute. I knew from that little blow that it wouldn’t make it through a tropical storm even if it glanced us.

M

·
0 Posts
Wanting to start painting my 14’ Jon boat soon, will take a while since winter is here. I should catch some decent paint days every now and then though.
Put the final coat of waterproofing on my transom board today, had several bugs become part of the finish. That’s gonna p*ss me off if it happens during paint. Would you guys recommend a decent tarp shed that I can use to protect the wet paint from bugs, dust and dew?
I think a 10x20 would be big enough. I’ll be rolling and tipping, not spraying BTW.
Thanks, Shell
The bugs can serve as no skid! Embrace them.:D

·
Registered
534 Posts
A “decent “ tarp shed or canopy is gonna at least cost 3-400. For a few dollars more, one could have a steel carport. I’ve got one that was here when I bought this place. I’ll just drop some kind of sheeting down when it comes time to paint. That is if I’ll ever get my other project out from under it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My fiancé lived in Cabot when we met. It’s beautiful out there. We’ve done a lot of good fishing out there and in Missouri. Some of the best freshwater fishing I’ve ever done in my life.

1 - 21 of 28 Posts