Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up be careful of scammers. Especially using cash app since they don’t have any protection if you do get scammed.

I’m currently searching for a 7wt crosscurrent and someone reached out over text wanting to sell one. Had photos of the rod And all seemed to check out. ( I try to check for the photos online to make sure he didn’t just find them on google.)

Luckily when I went to send money cash app said possibly a scam so I asked for mor pictures and of course the new pictures were a different rod.

His phone number is 817-890-7607 and his cash app is $paulrfreeman

·
Registered
Cayo 173
110 Posts
I also posted a WTB today and I had three different numbers text me offering their reels for sale. All had multiple pictures and decent prices. But after some digging I figured out all were using pictures from old for-sale listings from this (or other) sites. One of the numbers was also the 817 number above. In retrospect the conversations also had a slightly funny cadence, where they wouldn't exactly answer my question, then repeat information they had already provided. I realized all three were scammers before going further. I since have removed my cell number from my WTB ad. While I think it makes sense to include your cell when listing something for sale, so non-members can contact you, I wouldn't trust anyone without a history on here, to blindly send them money. Good looking out. I was planning on making a similar post on my experience.

·
Registered
58 Posts
On the Orvis podcast a caller mentioned that he found a good deal on an online forum for a euro nymph rod. After contacting the "seller" everything seemed legitimate. (the scammer was aware of fishing talk and tactics). Needless to say the guy lost the little bit he had saved for a new rod. Pretty sad. Just because its a fishing forum doesn't mean anything; It's still the internet. Maybe 20 posts to make sure you're not a scumbag isn't so bad?

·
Registered
2002 Waterman
46 Posts
+1 (512) 648-8715
+1 (956) 539-5182

Had some sketchy interactions with these two numbers as well. Was trying to find a new poling platform. They both sent pictures and descriptions copied directly from microskiff with locations changed (brownsville, Texas) When I asked for additional photos and a video they refused the video but sent a very cropped and grainy photo of another platform, different from original platform they sent. Did not proceed with any transactions and would caution the same to anyone else.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Guy name Fin's71 supposed to ship me a yeti never got it. Kept in touch with text. Wont respond now of course. Been two months but been in louisiana. 3055093316 heres his number if anyone knows this guy or wants to blow his phone up lol

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just a heads up be careful of scammers. Especially using cash app since they don’t have any protection if you do get scammed.

I’m currently searching for a 7wt crosscurrent and someone reached out over text wanting to sell one. Had photos of the rod And all seemed to check out. ( I try to check for the photos online to make sure he didn’t just find them on google.)

Luckily when I went to send money cash app said possibly a scam so I asked for mor pictures and of course the new pictures were a different rod.

His phone number is 817-890-7607 and his cash app is $paulrfreeman
Unfortunately, we could make “Scammers” a permanent category! I would only feel confident dealing with someone on MS that has a long membership history!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts