Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be moving to Savannah in the next few months. I have a few questions if anyone has some answers--

1.What are the winter months like for flats fishing Nov- April?

2. I currently have an 18ft. hewes bayfisher -- Will that be fine?

3. Any need for an 11wt setup over there?

Thanks.

·
Zero Interest
298 Posts
I may be moving to Savannah in the next few months. I have a few questions if anyone has some answers--

1.What are the winter months like for flats fishing Nov- April?

2. I currently have an 18ft. hewes bayfisher -- Will that be fine?

3. Any need for an 11wt setup over there?

Thanks.
I'm sure some others will chime in but here are my thoughts:

1. November through February is my favorite time to fish. Hardly anyone on the water and those that are, are no where near me. March has always been a weird month. Fish are getting out of their winter habits and aren't as happy. Weather dependent but I normally use March to get my gear in order along with any boat maintenance.

2. Versatile rig. May not be able to hit some low tide spots but otherwise solid boat for this area.

3. Absolutely! Jacks have been hot in the Savannah River. Tarpon are off the beach and the Broad River just North of us in South Carolina holds cobia (you have a great boat to make that run unless you trailer up). Might even consider getting a 12wt!

·
Soy un Perdedor
2,555 Posts
I spent last winter in Bluffton SC and the one thing I did not expect was how cold it gets! Not unusual to have early morning temps in the upper 30's low 40's. Very few people on the water and fish are pretty cooperative.

Your Hewes will be fine - get ready for some crazy tide differences between high and low water. Tides determine when you launch and retrieve big time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spent last winter in Bluffton SC and the one thing I did not expect was how cold it gets! Not unusual to have early morning temps in the upper 30's low 40's. Very few people on the water and fish are pretty cooperative.

Your Hewes will be fine - get ready for some crazy tide differences between high and low water. Tides determine when you launch and retrieve big time.
Yah thanks for that. I’m a New Hampshire native so cold fishing is good with me, as long as fish bite.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
39 Posts
Be very careful in the area if you aren’t used to large tide swings. Exploring at low tide is very helpful. If launching at low tide make sure you don’t back in too far and drop the trailer off the end of the ramp.

The Hewes is a good all around boat for most things but you may miss out on some flood tide grass flats unless you want to tie off and go out on foot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any places to wade fish in Savannah for reds? New to fly fishing and I have scoured google earth trying to find a place accessible from land. Any descent spots are private land.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts