Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just the First Looks -

A kayak/skiff carbon hybrid that you can paddle, row or pole, but its really a power first / paddle second design. Designed for 2 full size adults, self-bailing cockpit at full rated load. Outboard power from 2.5 to 9.9 gas, 5 hp propane and 3 hp electric. Electric reaches 6 mph top but cruise gives you 3.5 mph with a 12 mile range. Typical 5+/- hp tops at 11-13mph. 9.9 hp outboards WOT @ 19-21 mph.

14' x 40" beam at the waterline, 48" at the deck. Rod storage for (4) 9' fly rods. Hull weight around 160 lbs. Hull price probably around $3500. Still working on custom trailer option. With 1 person, hull is dead quiet as all chines are below water.

IMG_4340-1-ms.jpg

IMG_4353-1-ms.jpg

IMG_4330-ms.jpg

IMG_4331-ms.jpg

IMG_4333-ms.jpg

Link to a GoPro vid hanging out by the channel waiting for the yachts to come by....

The electric option is just an amazing experience for an early morning fly fishing trip.....

A webpage specific page won't be for a couple of weeks......

Thanks!

Mel

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wish someone would come up with an electric skiff that could compete with the ones out today. I would jump all over that. I have a nissan leaf and I love it. IMO electric is the way to go!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Torqueedo makes 40hp and up outboards. Battery weight is the problem with a skiff not to mention the outboard and medium sized battery bank will set you back about $34k. But start with an Advent hull and you're still less than $50k.

Stern design:

It is self-bailing but say going out the surf even with low inside freeboard, it could hold a lot of water after taking a wave over the bow. The lowered stern area allows for most of the water in a full swamp condition to flow out very quickly. I've also found it easier to get in from the transom when I've been out wading. I think it helps the side profile a bit too :)

·
Mostly Harmless
2,170 Posts
Torqueedo makes 40hp and up outboards. Battery weight is the problem with a skiff not to mention the outboard and medium sized battery bank will set you back about $34k. But start with an Advent hull and you're still less than $50k.

Stern design:

It is self-bailing but say going out the surf even with low inside freeboard, it could hold a lot of water after taking a wave over the bow. The lowered stern area allows for most of the water in a full swamp condition to flow out very quickly. I've also found it easier to get in from the transom when I've been out wading. I think it helps the side profile a bit too :)
Okay. I knew there was a plan. I just didn’t know what it was.

Nate

·
Registered
2 Posts
How will this compare to a Shadowcast 16? It looks like a cool concept, but priced so closely to a barebones Shadowcast I'm curious how it stacks up against it.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
How will this compare to a Shadowcast 16? It looks like a cool concept, but priced so closely to a barebones Shadowcast I'm curious how it stacks up against it.
Two completely different concepts. The ShadowCast is a true poling skiff....with a poling platform, gunnels, front and rear deck, dry storage, etc. The Savanna is a hybrid between a canoe, SUP, kayak, and skiff. Completely different even though you can put two people on it. Both can be utilized in "kayak" water but the capabilities and range of the ShadowCast make it a skiff versus the the Savanna which is hybrid.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Two completely different concepts. The ShadowCast is a true poling skiff....with a poling platform, gunnels, front and rear deck, dry storage, etc. The Savanna is a hybrid between a canoe, SUP, kayak, and skiff. Completely different even though you can put two people on it. Both can be utilized in "kayak" water but the capabilities and range of the ShadowCast make it a skiff versus the the Savanna which is hybrid.
Have you got a total weight capacity including load and motor ? I’m 240 so curious how much the second person could weigh?

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Have you got a total weight capacity including load and motor ? I’m 240 so curious how much the second person could weigh?
Not of the top of my head, but I think you'd be fine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is the Savanna more capable in chop? It looks like it has a sharper entry point and performed well in the video with the yacht wake. I'm mainly asking because I'm looking for a small craft to primarily fish alone that drafts shallow enough to flats fish but that can also handle short runs through the chop in Tampa Bay. I was considering a native SUV 14, but this seems promising.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
Is the Savanna more capable in chop? It looks like it has a sharper entry point and performed well in the video with the yacht wake. I'm mainly asking because I'm looking for a small craft to primarily fish alone that drafts shallow enough to flats fish but that can also handle short runs through the chop in Tampa Bay. I was considering a native SUV 14, but this seems promising.
Not sure how much chop in TB you are going to run. I fish TB and things can get sloppy. I run Salt Marsh 1444 which could be another option for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked mine up last November of 2019 from a dealer. Savanna with 9.9 short shaft Tohatsu. With a 9.9 I’m within an inch of the scupper with 250 lbs of me and gear. It stays about the same with 400lbs of people and gear. I can confirm 19 to 20 mph wot with oem prop with 400lbs on it.
I will say with the short shaft I’m hearing an odd noise at about 3800 rpm, almost as if water is gurgling. As I’m new to powered boats I haven’t a clue what that is. All in all it’s easy for one person that hasn’t had a boat before to launch/trailer and can get me places very quickly that used to take me hours to get to in a kayak.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts