Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just the First Looks -

A kayak/skiff carbon hybrid that you can paddle, row or pole, but its really a power first / paddle second design. Designed for 2 full size adults, self-bailing cockpit at full rated load. Outboard power from 2.5 to 9.9 gas, 5 hp propane and 3 hp electric. Electric reaches 6 mph top but cruise gives you 3.5 mph with a 12 mile range. Typical 5+/- hp tops at 11-13mph. 9.9 hp outboards WOT @ 19-21 mph.

14' x 40" beam at the waterline, 48" at the deck. Rod storage for (4) 9' fly rods. Hull weight around 160 lbs. Hull price probably around $3500. Still working on custom trailer option. With 1 person, hull is dead quiet as all chines are below water.

Water transportation Green Boat Vehicle Water

Water transportation Green Boat Vehicle Watercraft

Water transportation Boat Vehicle Boating Watercraft

Vehicle Water transportation Boat Speedboat Bass boat

Water transportation Vehicle Boat Watercraft Patrol boat, river

Link to a GoPro vid hanging out by the channel waiting for the yachts to come by....

The electric option is just an amazing experience for an early morning fly fishing trip.....

A webpage specific page won't be for a couple of weeks......

Thanks!

Mel

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Torqueedo makes 40hp and up outboards. Battery weight is the problem with a skiff not to mention the outboard and medium sized battery bank will set you back about $34k. But start with an Advent hull and you're still less than $50k.

Stern design:

It is self-bailing but say going out the surf even with low inside freeboard, it could hold a lot of water after taking a wave over the bow. The lowered stern area allows for most of the water in a full swamp condition to flow out very quickly. I've also found it easier to get in from the transom when I've been out wading. I think it helps the side profile a bit too :)

·
Mostly Harmless
2,244 Posts
Torqueedo makes 40hp and up outboards. Battery weight is the problem with a skiff not to mention the outboard and medium sized battery bank will set you back about $34k. But start with an Advent hull and you're still less than $50k.

Stern design:

It is self-bailing but say going out the surf even with low inside freeboard, it could hold a lot of water after taking a wave over the bow. The lowered stern area allows for most of the water in a full swamp condition to flow out very quickly. I've also found it easier to get in from the transom when I've been out wading. I think it helps the side profile a bit too :)
Okay. I knew there was a plan. I just didn’t know what it was.

Nate

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2021 Ankona Advent
2,987 Posts
How will this compare to a Shadowcast 16? It looks like a cool concept, but priced so closely to a barebones Shadowcast I'm curious how it stacks up against it.
Two completely different concepts. The ShadowCast is a true poling skiff....with a poling platform, gunnels, front and rear deck, dry storage, etc. The Savanna is a hybrid between a canoe, SUP, kayak, and skiff. Completely different even though you can put two people on it. Both can be utilized in "kayak" water but the capabilities and range of the ShadowCast make it a skiff versus the the Savanna which is hybrid.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Two completely different concepts. The ShadowCast is a true poling skiff....with a poling platform, gunnels, front and rear deck, dry storage, etc. The Savanna is a hybrid between a canoe, SUP, kayak, and skiff. Completely different even though you can put two people on it. Both can be utilized in "kayak" water but the capabilities and range of the ShadowCast make it a skiff versus the the Savanna which is hybrid.
Have you got a total weight capacity including load and motor ? I’m 240 so curious how much the second person could weigh?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is the Savanna more capable in chop? It looks like it has a sharper entry point and performed well in the video with the yacht wake. I'm mainly asking because I'm looking for a small craft to primarily fish alone that drafts shallow enough to flats fish but that can also handle short runs through the chop in Tampa Bay. I was considering a native SUV 14, but this seems promising.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2021 Ankona Advent
2,987 Posts
Is the Savanna more capable in chop? It looks like it has a sharper entry point and performed well in the video with the yacht wake. I'm mainly asking because I'm looking for a small craft to primarily fish alone that drafts shallow enough to flats fish but that can also handle short runs through the chop in Tampa Bay. I was considering a native SUV 14, but this seems promising.
Not sure how much chop in TB you are going to run. I fish TB and things can get sloppy. I run Salt Marsh 1444 which could be another option for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked mine up last November of 2019 from a dealer. Savanna with 9.9 short shaft Tohatsu. With a 9.9 I’m within an inch of the scupper with 250 lbs of me and gear. It stays about the same with 400lbs of people and gear. I can confirm 19 to 20 mph wot with oem prop with 400lbs on it.
I will say with the short shaft I’m hearing an odd noise at about 3800 rpm, almost as if water is gurgling. As I’m new to powered boats I haven’t a clue what that is. All in all it’s easy for one person that hasn’t had a boat before to launch/trailer and can get me places very quickly that used to take me hours to get to in a kayak.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.