Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm pretty much a Neandertal when it comes to electronics but I've got a Simrad on my new skiff but no transducer. The main thing I want is the satellite overlay for tracks through broken marsh. Anybody have any insight on setting that up for idiots like me? Reading the manual I'm not sure if I've got to get a separate chip or not. Right now I've just got the mapping/chip that came with it.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The Go9 really isn't the best with sat overlay - the resolution just isn't high enough. I was not impressed and actually used my phone instead. But it is a great unit for the price - some don't need sat and it is a good choice if that is the case.

I went up to an Evo NSS3 7" (I didn't need to larger screen, or price tag) and the resolution is better. Sat looks better and is clearer.

Here is each unit, their base, basic cost, size and their resolution (from my recon):

nss7 - $1,349
9.4 x 5.9 x 3.5"
600 x 1024

nss9 - $1,999
11.30 x 6.55 x 3.50"
720 x 1280

go7 - $679
7.56" x 5.55" x 3.26"
480 x 800

go9 - $899
9.75" x 6.875" x 3"
480 x 800

Here is a DPI calculator so you can see the difference. More pixels per inch means better resolution and clarity of the image:

·
Registered
854 Posts
The Go9 really isn't the best with sat overlay - the resolution just isn't high enough. I was not impressed and actually used my phone instead. But it is a great unit for the price - some don't need sat and it is a good choice if that is the case.

I went up to an Evo NSS3 7" (I didn't need to larger screen, or price tag) and the resolution is better. Sat looks better and is clearer.

Here is each unit, their base, basic cost, size and their resolution (from my recon):

nss7 - $1,349
9.4 x 5.9 x 3.5"
600 x 1024

nss9 - $1,999
11.30 x 6.55 x 3.50"
720 x 1280

go7 - $679
7.56" x 5.55" x 3.26"
480 x 800

go9 - $899
9.75" x 6.875" x 3"
480 x 800

Here is a DPI calculator so you can see the difference. More pixels per inch means better resolution and clarity of the image:

What sat overlay did you go with

·
Registered
229 Posts
I had the G09 for over four years and dealt with the same issue. As CG mentioned above, the GO9 map set it comes with is very poor quality.

Since you did not mention upgrading the unit I will only comment on the chip. To start with I did not go with FMT, @Egrets Landing advised that the FMT chip does not perform as well as on the say NSS units so to me it seemed like throwing more $$ at a less than optimal unit. Instead I did as Capt. Ron advises above and went with the Navionics platinum+ chip and it worked just fine for what it is.

Does it provide the level of detailed tracks as FMT? No.
However, for ~$200 less than the single FMT chip it worked perfect for a satellite overview and I did not have to look at that ridiculous "kids coloring book view" the unit it came with.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks y'all- I'm in Texas and will hunt up the Navionics Platinum Chip. I've had this skiff and the new GPS for 3 months and we just bought & remodeled a new house so upgrading is not in the cards at present. I'm not looking for anything crazy, I know my waters and it's not like I'm at any threat of getting lost but want a little insurance for exploring.

·
Registered
2005 Gordon Waterman 18'
359 Posts
I've used Navionics Platinum Plus chips in my GO9 and they work well enough. Things get blurry at max zoom but they are adequate enough at all other zoom levels and the satellite overlay definitely helps see whats actually there. The base maps from Simrad suck.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've used Navionics Platinum Plus chips in my GO9 and they work well enough. Things get blurry at max zoom but they are adequate enough at all other zoom levels and the satellite overlay definitely helps see whats actually there. The base maps from Simrad suck.
In my experience the base maps from all of the manufacturers suck and unless you buy an upgraded chip when you first install the GPS most of us are going to want a better chip.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
You can create your own sat imagery chips if you invest some time into learning it and the software. Otherwise paying for a chip is the way to go.
Not to derail thread. But I can't load google earth on my work notebook because it is frowned upon and probably wouldn't let me anyway. So when I just open google earth on the interwebs, I don't see how to look at historical imagery. I know I used to be able to.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Not to derail thread. But I can't load google earth on my work notebook because it is frowned upon and probably wouldn't let me anyway. So when I just open google earth on the interwebs, I don't see how to look at historical imagery. I know I used to be able to.
To my knowledge you need to download Google Earth Pro for this. I don't believe its a feature on the web browser version currently.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Full disclosure....

I bought both the Go7 and Go9, but installed the Go7 because I liked the smaller size. Both have the same resolution, but I only looked at sat overlay on the Go7. So the quality should be the same, but obviously the 9 would be easier to view thanks to the larger size.

I changed to the Evo because I actually wanted a knob and buttons, not touch only.

Again, the 9 is a great unit for the price, especially if you can get a deal. I do not think the NSS7 is worth the extra $500 up from the 9 - yes, resolution is better and there are some features, but I also don't use any transducers. And the NSS9 is more than double the cost which I find unreal.

But I will add, the NMEA support on these units is bad ass. I love having my engine data on the right side that I can view while cruising. I am going to be adding the fuel management module to it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Full disclosure....

I bought both the Go7 and Go9, but installed the Go7 because I liked the smaller size. Both have the same resolution, but I only looked at sat overlay on the Go7. So the quality should be the same, but obviously the 9 would be easier to view thanks to the larger size.

I changed to the Evo because I actually wanted a knob and buttons, not touch only.

Again, the 9 is a great unit for the price, especially if you can get a deal. I do not think the NSS7 is worth the extra $500 up from the 9 - yes, resolution is better and there are some features, but I also don't use any transducers. And the NSS9 is more than double the cost which I find unreal.

But I will add, the NMEA support on these units is bad ass. I love having my engine data on the right side that I can view while cruising. I am going to be adding the fuel management module to it.
The EVO3 is about half the cost of the EVO3_S with zero noticeable performance difference for an inshore rig without radar and multiple displays. There are not any EVO3 9's left but there are 12" units and they can be purchased for less than an EVO3_S 9" right now.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts