Sanibel snook from beach question

Discussion in 'General Fishing' started by Capnredfish, May 10, 2018.

1. Capnredfish

Capnredfish Well-Known Member

What’s the method of choice. I hear the snook fishing is good there in June. Doing a boatless family trip and I’m sure I will want to try my luck while family does other things. No fly.

2. krash

krash Well-Known Member

I get up, have coffee, head to the beach just b4 sunrise, very few people on the beach at that tie mostly hard core shellers, decide right or left, and start walking and casting ahead on myself.. 1st cast parallel and just off the wash at the shore line if there is any wave action, if no wave action a couple feet off the shoreline.. then a few cast progressively out further from shore out to abut 45 degree's... and continue walking and casting til tired, no-seeums have and/or skeeters have taken their toll.

I usually throw a white/yellow soft plastic jerk bait, but if its rougher/windy I'll throw a MiroDine.

3. Capnredfish

Thanks for the tip. Flats fishing gear enough, with maybe a heavier flouro leader than used in the flats?

4. timogleason

timogleason I Love microskiff.com!

Flats gear is adequate - maybe 10 lb braid and 30 lb leader

5. krash

krash Well-Known Member

I use the same spinning setup on the baech as I do the flats.. 3000 series Shimano, 7' rod, 10# braid 15-25# fluro leader, loop knot on the weedless hook.

6. EasternGlow

EasternGlow Well-Known Member

on spin, you're best chance would be low light hours. Not necessarily because of the feeding times, but because 1- there will be much fewer people on the beach and, as someone stated, the fish generally hold pretty close to the beach in the trough. And 2- the fish will see pretty well in the middle of the day. That's when a small white fly is the weapon of choice. Good luck.

7. Capnredfish

I have to give up my 8lb mono it seems. My 17# flouro should do. I used braid way back in early days then went to mono on the flats. Never went back to it.

8. Jumbo Jet

Jumbo Jet Active Member

Like EG said, early hours to avoid the walking crowds. I fly fish for them, and by 8:30-9am it's over for me because of the walkers. They will be right at your feet in the trough. If it's calm, you can use the small rollers as a looking glass to sight them. When I spin fished them, I would throw a small white/silver Yozuri with a small leader, like 12lb. They usually aren't big, and there's typically not much structure to get broke off on. Best of luck! It's a blast to catch them like that.

9. Capnredfish

That’s more than I want to spend for the 3s’. Sleep, shlt and shave. All look like 7 night minimum. 4 nights is enough anywhere for me.

Jred likes this.
  10. Cam

Cam Well-Known Member

15lb or 20lb braid to a 30lb leader. Most snook don't need that but there are often some monsters cruising the beach. Dawn is the best time IMO. Wade in a bit, cast parallel to the shore into the deeper cuts that are typically a foot or so deeper. We prefer white plastic paddle tails. If you see a bait pod, throw over it and run your bait through it.

After 10am or so, we leave as the bite drops off considerably as the day progresses.

My fishing buddy off Sanibel:

[​IMG]

Backwater likes this.
  11. Capnredfish

Wow, looking forward it. If there so many shells, would barefoot not be advised?

12. Cam

Cam Well-Known Member

Barefoot is my go to. I always scoot my feet but that is a stingray thing. Sandals and shoes invariably get a shell between them and your foot. With a rod in hand makes clearing a pain.

13. bonehead

bonehead Well-Known Member

Yeah definitely go barefoot...

Also make sure to have a back-up plan incase the beach doesn't work out/bad conditions. Last year, I made 2 trips over to that area and got completely skunked. Was solely prepared for the beach, but both times the water was complete milk and couldn't see a thing... wish I would have known better and focused somewhere else.

Good luck with the trip! Also planning on making some morning-trips there this summer.

14. Capnredfish

Cool. Have 3 cans of jungle brand bug repellent ready. This is not a fishing trip. However I’m an early riser can’t think of much better thing to do while family sleeps.

15. Cam

Cam Well-Known Member

On the beach, we never use bug spray. The only time I feel like I need it is when we are deep in the mangroves. We cover up with long sleeves, pants, buff, sun gloves, hat, etc since the sun is often worse than the bugs.

16. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

Not to mention your biggest bug problem on the beach at dawn or dusk are sand flies (no-see-ums) and they don't even notice bug spray.... With a bit of breeze they're not around but with no breeze they'll just carry you away...

17. Backcountry 16

Backcountry 16 Well-Known Member

Yes the bugs will be so bad I would probably not come if I was you.:):):)