Registered
Capt Parker D
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any line suggestions for a salty 6wt for redfish? It’ll be for a H3, thanks

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,408 Posts
What types of flies are you throwing normally?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Have monic Henley clear on a sector 6wt and love it! Taper is great for close shots and works great for medium shots 60ft or so. I wade a lot so close cast are mainly what I see. Line great for soft presentation and is true to weight fly line

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,408 Posts
Anything from seaducers to beadchain shrimp/crabs/clousers
So lightly weighted at most? I'd get a bonefish taper then...I like the SA Mastery Bonefish on my 6wt.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
So lightly weighted at most? I'd get a bonefish taper then...I like the SA Mastery Bonefish on my 6wt.
Perfect, thanks for the advice
SA Mastery Bonefish has a long taper for longer shots. Reds many times pop up 15 to 30' out - the head on this line is 40', so that means having 50' of line out of the reel to just get the head out of the rod. Many will have a hard time getting the rod to load quickly for close in shots.

For reds, a shorter, more compact head is better. Flies for reds are larger than what you typically throw for bones. I use the Wulff Bermuda Triangle Taper - standard taper on most reds, but also the Shorts (more compact head) on a 7wt for reds. It's been much easier for people on my boat to load and cast close in with the Shorts lines when conditions call for it.

·
Registered
Capt Parker D
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SA Mastery Bonefish has a long taper for longer shots. Reds many times pop up 15 to 30' out - the head on this line is 40', so that means having 50' of line out of the reel to just get the head out of the rod. Many will have a hard time getting the rod to load quickly for close in shots.

For reds, a shorter, more compact head is better. Flies for reds are larger than what you typically throw for bones. I use the Wulff Bermuda Triangle Taper - standard taper on most reds, but also the Shorts (more compact head) on a 7wt for reds. It's been much easier for people on my boat to load and cast close in with the Shorts lines when conditions call for it.
I throw SA amp bonefish on my 8wt H3 for reds without any problems

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,408 Posts
You raise a good point. Not all fisheries or seasons are the same...

Around here (Tampa in the winter) you need to make delicate presentations with small flies at 40-60'...which is why the bonefish taper is my go to winter line for reds on negative low tides...we very rarely see fish inside of 30' that don't already have the afterburners engaged as they exit the area.

So I keep bonefish lines and small flies on my 6wt and keep redfish lines and larger flies on my 8wt.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just a FYI.
Be careful if ordering a 6wt SA bonefish line. It appears the Mastery has been discontinued in that size.
The Amplitude has a 6wt but its head is only 35ft.
If you want/need a long head bonefish Rio makes one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts