Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,273 Posts
I'll also take a b/u Sage One in 6W if you find one. It's my fav 6W. Its ridiculous that they stopped making it. The Meridian is pretty tight too, but, not a Sage One. Orvis has a rod I casted that is similar to the Sage One that is out now. Prob whatever their high end one is. I would go cast those as well. BVK is trash in my mind. It casts nice, but, can't pick up any line and breaks every other trip.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
137 Posts
I'll also take a b/u Sage One in 6W if you find one. It's my fav 6W. Its ridiculous that they stopped making it. The Meridian is pretty tight too, but, not a Sage One. Orvis has a rod I casted that is similar to the Sage One that is out now. Prob whatever their high end one is. I would go cast those as well. BVK is trash in my mind. It casts nice, but, can't pick up any line and breaks every other trip.
Hey Ken,
I thought I was the only one who loved this 6wt, I picked up a One used and fell in love with it. It seems it can cast everything from a med/heavy 6wt line all the way up to a longer taper lighter 8wt bonefish line. Glad to see I am not the only one that thinks this Is a unicorn.
Robbie

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2021 Ankona Advent
2,987 Posts
I'm looking to add a 6wt for redfishing this fall/winter. Our reds here in Tampa are highly pressured and act more like bonefish, so I'm throwing light and small patterns (#4 and even #6). I'm hoping that by lining down from an 8wt I'll get a softer presentation on those s.o.b.'s.

I know this is more likely a matter preference, but for those that actively use 6wts in the salt, do you favor a fast action or medium action rod for those 40-60 foot shots? Curious to know what works for you at those distances.

I'm looking at the Lamson SS and Sage Maverick for the faster rods and the Scott Tidal for a medium action. Open to other suggestions, but those are the ones that are a) in my price range and b) I've already casted.
I use a Lamson SS 6 wt almost exclusively in TB starting in November thru April and then on the beaches for surf snook in the summer. I throw a Monic Henley Phantom Tip and have no problem shooting out 40-60' shots.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,273 Posts
Hey Ken,
I thought I was the only one who loved this 6wt, I picked up a One used and fell in love with it. It seems it can cast everything from a med/heavy 6wt line all the way up to a longer taper lighter 8wt bonefish line. Glad to see I am not the only one that thinks this Is a unicorn.
Robbie
I like NRX's for everything, but, the Sage one 6w is just awesome. I got it because the blanks were on sale and just lucked out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I use a Lamson SS 6 wt almost exclusively in TB starting in November thru April and then on the beaches for surf snook in the summer. I throw a Monic Henley Phantom Tip and have no problem shooting out 40-60' shots.
Ok cool good to know! As I mentioned earlier, I just don't want to make a decision and then find out I've handicapped myself for those close in shots. Thanks for sharing! The SS seems to be SUPER popular in our area.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I like NRX's for everything, but, the Sage one 6w is just awesome. I got it because the blanks were on sale and just lucked out.
Hey Ken,
Robbie
Didn't know the Sage One 6wt had its own club haha I love it! At this moment, I'm leaning towards the maverick.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,664 Posts
The Sage ONE has a bit of a cult following here. Its a great rod.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2021 Ankona Advent
2,987 Posts
Ok cool good to know! As I mentioned earlier, I just don't want to make a decision and then find out I've handicapped myself for those close in shots. Thanks for sharing! The SS seems to be SUPER popular in our area.
It throws good in short range situations as well. Of course it is popular, we got the man David Chouinard repping for them in our area and exposing us to their attributes!

·
Premium Member
3,079 Posts
If your 5 or 6 wt doesn't have a "fighting butt" you should consider adding one.
Back in the day Carl Hanson modified my 6 wt adding one and it helps playing a fish but it also protects the reel.
They also rolled up my second tarpon stick (8 ft glass rod).
Took me a year and a half to break that one :)

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,664 Posts
It throws good in short range situations as well. Of course it is popular, we got the man David Chouinard repping for them in our area and exposing us to their attributes!
Yup...and its the rod Jeff uses at Bar Fly for all the casting competitions...probably because of Dave.

·
Registered
2000 CS J - 16 w/ 50 hp Tohatsu
89 Posts
I'm looking to add a 6wt for redfishing this fall/winter. Our reds here in Tampa are highly pressured and act more like bonefish, so I'm throwing light and small patterns (#4 and even #6). I'm hoping that by lining down from an 8wt I'll get a softer presentation on those s.o.b.'s.

I know this is more likely a matter preference, but for those that actively use 6wts in the salt, do you favor a fast action or medium action rod for those 40-60 foot shots? Curious to know what works for you at those distances.

I'm looking at the Lamson SS and Sage Maverick for the faster rods and the Scott Tidal for a medium action. Open to other suggestions, but those are the ones that are a) in my price range and b) I've already casted.
TFO AXION 2X we have 6wt in stock.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just picked up a lamson SS 6wt and could not be happier, the only other rods I considered were the sector, and H3D. But the lamson is very nearly as nice as both of those, especially when you compare price. I use a 7wt line and it has all the feel and power I could ask for in a 6.

Reactions: saltyhackle

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sweet! I also have the hydros and it's been great so far, especially considering the price!!

How do you like your SS at those close distances? Is there any feel? I remember casting the 8 a month ago and recall it being pretty fast.
Salty, sorry for the late reply. Just spent the last week in Mexico to escape this pandemic for a bit...

Like Shadowcast mentioned, the SS is good in close, at least for me and responsive and I accidentally underlined it with a 5W Bonefish Taper and it performed surprising well. It wasn't until I was grabbing the box a few days later that I realized my mistake and subsequently relined to a true to 6W line, but I haven't thrown a 7W line on yet.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.