Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2021 Ankona Advent
2,987 Posts
I'm looking to add a 6wt for redfishing this fall/winter. Our reds here in Tampa are highly pressured and act more like bonefish, so I'm throwing light and small patterns (#4 and even #6). I'm hoping that by lining down from an 8wt I'll get a softer presentation on those s.o.b.'s.

I know this is more likely a matter preference, but for those that actively use 6wts in the salt, do you favor a fast action or medium action rod for those 40-60 foot shots? Curious to know what works for you at those distances.

I'm looking at the Lamson SS and Sage Maverick for the faster rods and the Scott Tidal for a medium action. Open to other suggestions, but those are the ones that are a) in my price range and b) I've already casted.
I use a Lamson SS 6 wt almost exclusively in TB starting in November thru April and then on the beaches for surf snook in the summer. I throw a Monic Henley Phantom Tip and have no problem shooting out 40-60' shots.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2021 Ankona Advent
2,987 Posts
Ok cool good to know! As I mentioned earlier, I just don't want to make a decision and then find out I've handicapped myself for those close in shots. Thanks for sharing! The SS seems to be SUPER popular in our area.
It throws good in short range situations as well. Of course it is popular, we got the man David Chouinard repping for them in our area and exposing us to their attributes!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.