Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,623 Posts
I can't wait for the cooler weather and lower tides...love throwing the 6wt here.

If you can find a Sage ONE, that is what I throw in 6wt. If not, then definitely look at the Sage Maverick. The Maverick reminds me of the ONE.

The Lamson SS is a really nice rod as well. I have cast it at Bar Fly events quite a bit but not live on the water.

My backup 6wt is a Redington Predator, which I prefer over the TFO Mangrove in that weight.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,623 Posts
What line do you plan to use? I like the SA Mastery Bonefish on the 6wt in the winter for throwing small flies to spooky fish.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,623 Posts
This is a good question. My 6 has an older sand colored SA Bonefish, it's a but to stiff for winter time.
The water is always warmer than the air...sometimes I let the line soak next to the skiff to soften it up.

If its too cold for that to work in the Tampa area I'm probably not out on the skiff. :)

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,623 Posts
How do you like your Sage ONE at close distances?
Love the Sage ONE anywhere between 30-60'.

Nothing bad to say about it.

Its paired with a Tibor Freestone. Don't think I can get any better in the 6wt space.

If you find one discontinued but don't want to buy it, let me know...I will...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,623 Posts
I thought I was the only one who loved this 6wt, I picked up a One used and fell in love with it. It seems it can cast everything from a med/heavy 6wt line all the way up to a longer taper lighter 8wt bonefish line. Glad to see I am not the only one that thinks this Is a unicorn.
The Sage ONE has a bit of a cult following here. Its a great rod.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,623 Posts
Didn't know the Sage One 6wt had its own club haha I love it! At this moment, I'm leaning towards the maverick.
Let me know if you get that Maverick 6wt and how you like it.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,623 Posts
It throws good in short range situations as well. Of course it is popular, we got the man David Chouinard repping for them in our area and exposing us to their attributes!
Yup...and its the rod Jeff uses at Bar Fly for all the casting competitions...probably because of Dave.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts