Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add a 6wt for redfishing this fall/winter. Our reds here in Tampa are highly pressured and act more like bonefish, so I'm throwing light and small patterns (#4 and even #6). I'm hoping that by lining down from an 8wt I'll get a softer presentation on those s.o.b.'s.

I know this is more likely a matter preference, but for those that actively use 6wts in the salt, do you favor a fast action or medium action rod for those 40-60 foot shots? Curious to know what works for you at those distances.

I'm looking at the Lamson SS and Sage Maverick for the faster rods and the Scott Tidal for a medium action. Open to other suggestions, but those are the ones that are a) in my price range and b) I've already casted.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't wait for the cooler weather and lower tides...love throwing the 6wt here.

If you can find a Sage ONE, that is what I throw in 6wt. If not, then definitely look at the Sage Maverick. The Maverick reminds me of the ONE.

The Lamson SS is a really nice rod as well. I have cast it at Bar Fly events quite a bit but not live on the water.

My backup 6wt is a Redington Predator, which I prefer over the TFO Mangrove in that weight.
I like both of those rods, but I'm still unsure how I feel about the Lamsons aesthetics... I like the "traditional" look of the Maverick.

How do you like your Sage ONE at close distances? My main reason for starting this thread is because I don't want to make a decision and then find out when I'm on the water that I've handicapped myself haha.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the Lamson SS with an Orvis Hydros mounted on it. It is a great cost effective rod and it's all I need in a 6W. My 2nd cast with it I scored on a small redfish here in Sarasota.
Sweet! I also have the hydros and it's been great so far, especially considering the price!!

How do you like your SS at those close distances? Is there any feel? I remember casting the 8 a month ago and recall it being pretty fast.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do yourself a favor and cast the Scott Sector in the 6 wt. I’ve been using this rod all summer, and love the way it casts. I lined it with the SA Grand Slam Amplitude.
Might have to take out a small loan to afford that rod haha but I get what you're saying. I've hearing nothing but raving reviews about the guys who have it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What line do you plan to use? I like the SA Mastery Bonefish on the 6wt in the winter for throwing small flies to spooky fish.
That's exactly what I'm planning to use. Again, throwing a lot of smaller patterns so I don't think there's a need for big taper. I have that same line on my 8wt and it's been great.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Love the Sage ONE anywhere between 30-60'.

Nothing bad to say about it.

Its paired with a Tibor Freestone. Don't think I can get any better in the 6wt space.

If you find one discontinued but don't want to buy it, let me know...I will...
Haha I will.. So you think the Maverick would be similar?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I use a Lamson SS 6 wt almost exclusively in TB starting in November thru April and then on the beaches for surf snook in the summer. I throw a Monic Henley Phantom Tip and have no problem shooting out 40-60' shots.
Ok cool good to know! As I mentioned earlier, I just don't want to make a decision and then find out I've handicapped myself for those close in shots. Thanks for sharing! The SS seems to be SUPER popular in our area.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I like NRX's for everything, but, the Sage one 6w is just awesome. I got it because the blanks were on sale and just lucked out.
Hey Ken,
I thought I was the only one who loved this 6wt, I picked up a One used and fell in love with it. It seems it can cast everything from a med/heavy 6wt line all the way up to a longer taper lighter 8wt bonefish line. Glad to see I am not the only one that thinks this Is a unicorn.
Robbie
Didn't know the Sage One 6wt had its own club haha I love it! At this moment, I'm leaning towards the maverick.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I know I’m jumping in late here, but I have an Orvis H3d and absolutely love the 6wt. The various Sages never worked for me. That being said with the Scott Meridian already gone, I’d be awfully tempted for a 6wt Radian with a fighting butt since they went on clearance today.

For whatever reason my mind came back to this- and I've found a 6 w/ full wells and butt..... Thoughts on using it in the salt?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
What did you end up picking?
You must have "spidey senses" because I literally just picked up a Maverick in 6wt and 8wt this afternoon. Took sage about 6 months to get them in to my local shop cause of COVID. Super sweet casting in the parking lot. Will update later when I get a chance to take it out on the water!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.