Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to add a 6wt for redfishing this fall/winter. Our reds here in Tampa are highly pressured and act more like bonefish, so I'm throwing light and small patterns (#4 and even #6). I'm hoping that by lining down from an 8wt I'll get a softer presentation on those s.o.b.'s.

I know this is more likely a matter preference, but for those that actively use 6wts in the salt, do you favor a fast action or medium action rod for those 40-60 foot shots? Curious to know what works for you at those distances.

I'm looking at the Lamson SS and Sage Maverick for the faster rods and the Scott Tidal for a medium action. Open to other suggestions, but those are the ones that are a) in my price range and b) I've already casted.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,227 Posts
I can't wait for the cooler weather and lower tides...love throwing the 6wt here.

If you can find a Sage ONE, that is what I throw in 6wt. If not, then definitely look at the Sage Maverick. The Maverick reminds me of the ONE.

The Lamson SS is a really nice rod as well. I have cast it at Bar Fly events quite a bit but not live on the water.

My backup 6wt is a Redington Predator, which I prefer over the TFO Mangrove in that weight.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Have a TFO TICR-X 6 that i like alot. Havent had a chance to try their Axiom 2 x, but have read good things about them. Wont break the bank either.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have the Lamson SS with an Orvis Hydros mounted on it. It is a great cost effective rod and it's all I need in a 6W. My 2nd cast with it I scored on a small redfish here in Sarasota.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
32 Posts
I'm looking to add a 6wt for redfishing this fall/winter. Our reds here in Tampa are highly pressured and act more like bonefish, so I'm throwing light and small patterns (#4 and even #6). I'm hoping that by lining down from an 8wt I'll get a softer presentation on those s.o.b.'s.

I know this is more likely a matter preference, but for those that actively use 6wts in the salt, do you favor a fast action or medium action rod for those 40-60 foot shots? Curious to know what works for you at those distances.

I'm looking at the Lamson SS and Sage Maverick for the faster rods and the Scott Tidal for a medium action. Open to other suggestions, but those are the ones that are a) in my price range and b) I've already casted.
Do yourself a favor and cast the Scott Sector in the 6 wt. I’ve been using this rod all summer, and love the way it casts. I lined it with the SA Grand Slam Amplitude.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,227 Posts
What line do you plan to use? I like the SA Mastery Bonefish on the 6wt in the winter for throwing small flies to spooky fish.

·
Registered
171 Posts
What line do you plan to use? I like the SA Mastery Bonefish on the 6wt in the winter for throwing small flies to spooky fish.
This is a good question. My 6 has an older sand colored SA Bonefish, it's a but to stiff for winter time.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,227 Posts
This is a good question. My 6 has an older sand colored SA Bonefish, it's a but to stiff for winter time.
The water is always warmer than the air...sometimes I let the line soak next to the skiff to soften it up.

If its too cold for that to work in the Tampa area I'm probably not out on the skiff. :)

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,135 Posts
Temple fork bvk 6wt is one of their best casting rods in my opinion. I actually overline it a little with a sa bonefish 7wt and it’s perfect for long shots with a delicate presentation. It’s casts good with the 6wt sa bonefish as well I just like the 7wt line a touch better for my casting stroke.

·
Soy un Perdedor
2,555 Posts
If you can find a discontinued Scott Meridian......grab it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't wait for the cooler weather and lower tides...love throwing the 6wt here.

If you can find a Sage ONE, that is what I throw in 6wt. If not, then definitely look at the Sage Maverick. The Maverick reminds me of the ONE.

The Lamson SS is a really nice rod as well. I have cast it at Bar Fly events quite a bit but not live on the water.

My backup 6wt is a Redington Predator, which I prefer over the TFO Mangrove in that weight.
I like both of those rods, but I'm still unsure how I feel about the Lamsons aesthetics... I like the "traditional" look of the Maverick.

How do you like your Sage ONE at close distances? My main reason for starting this thread is because I don't want to make a decision and then find out when I'm on the water that I've handicapped myself haha.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the Lamson SS with an Orvis Hydros mounted on it. It is a great cost effective rod and it's all I need in a 6W. My 2nd cast with it I scored on a small redfish here in Sarasota.
Sweet! I also have the hydros and it's been great so far, especially considering the price!!

How do you like your SS at those close distances? Is there any feel? I remember casting the 8 a month ago and recall it being pretty fast.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do yourself a favor and cast the Scott Sector in the 6 wt. I’ve been using this rod all summer, and love the way it casts. I lined it with the SA Grand Slam Amplitude.
Might have to take out a small loan to afford that rod haha but I get what you're saying. I've hearing nothing but raving reviews about the guys who have it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's exactly what I'm planning to use. Again, throwing a lot of smaller patterns so I don't think there's a need for big taper. I have that same line on my 8wt and it's been great.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I’ve got a 6wt classic glx that has caught it’s fair share of reds. Little bit on the slower side so not the best rod if the wind is up but an absolute joy to fish. Picked mine up when they were on close out a couple years ago. I think the biggest thing is to cast or actually fish as many as you can and get an idea for what you like prior to jumping in and buying one.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,227 Posts
How do you like your Sage ONE at close distances?
Love the Sage ONE anywhere between 30-60'.

Nothing bad to say about it.

Its paired with a Tibor Freestone. Don't think I can get any better in the 6wt space.

If you find one discontinued but don't want to buy it, let me know...I will...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Love the Sage ONE anywhere between 30-60'.

Nothing bad to say about it.

Its paired with a Tibor Freestone. Don't think I can get any better in the 6wt space.

If you find one discontinued but don't want to buy it, let me know...I will...
Haha I will.. So you think the Maverick would be similar?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts