Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been pleased with my Rio flats pro so far but my orvis all-around saltwater line on another rig finally came apart.

I was going to replace it with a flats pro but thought there might be something new out there that y’all might recommend .

WF8F.

Thanks.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,356 Posts
I’ve been pleased with my Rio flats pro so far but my orvis all-around saltwater line on another rig finally came apart.

I was going to replace it with a flats pro but thought there might be something new out there that y’all might recommend .

WF8F.

Thanks.
I like the Rio Flats Pro also. The SA Amplitude Grand Slam is close in performance. A good complement to the Flats Pro is the SA Grand Slam clear sink tip for finicky creatures.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
If both your rods are 8's I'd go with an intermediate.
You can still fish an intermediate in shallow water, just not as slow as a floater and it can handle a little better when the water is kicked up in the wind.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked up a flats pro intermediate clear tip on sale 40% off today.

I’ll give it a try.

·
Registered
56 Posts
rio dc flats pro and sa grand slam are my two favorites. In touch striper lines are nice too. Haven’t tried the new coating rio lines though. anyone have experience with them?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I ordered an amplitude grand slam for another 8.
I guess I’ll find out who is who. 😀😀😀

·
Registered
482 Posts
I got to try the amplitude grand slam today .

It’s a winner !

Throwing a pole dancer in 16 mph winds it did well.
I've been a fan of that taper since Teeny was making it. It's the "Bruce Chard" taper. Bruce was with Teeny for a while and they made it, then he moved over to SA and they made the Chard taper, then he left and went to Airflo, but SA kept making the taper, just re-named it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hatch has a great all around SW line. I’ve been using it on my 7 and 9, and love it. I would compare it to Rio Redfish, and have been finding it on Amazon for 40 bucks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I find the Mastery Bonefish works the best on faster like the Scott Sectors. I have noticed that I like a softer rod in 7wt for when most shots to fish tend to be close and something like a redfish taper works well and can easily get out 60' if needed.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,417 Posts
SA Mastery Bonefish (smaller winter flies) or Rio Summer Redfish (larger summer flies) are the two I am using right now.

I have the SA on a Sage Maverick (backwater and short range shots) and like the Rio on my NRX (open flats and longer reach casts)...

·
will pole for food
935 Posts
I got to try the amplitude grand slam today .

It’s a winner !

Throwing a pole dancer in 16 mph winds it did well.
dang, I would’ve mailed you one for free if i would’ve seen this thread earlier. I used it once in the bahamas and hated it. Could be my rod or the way I cast. I seem to be in the minority, as most people love the line.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well the SA Grand slam was really casting well on the trusty ol GL2 that I broke today. Back to the drawing board.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts