Saltwater inshore fly tying supplies??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by KyleW, Jan 11, 2018 at 11:31 PM.

1. KyleW

KyleW Active Member

I know most of y’all will probably say I should buy my fly tying supplies per specific patterns, but I’ve been working at getting into the fly fishing and would like to stock up on a multitude of materials to tie an array of flies for redfish, trout, snook, tarpon, bonefish, and permit. Been doing some research on hooks. I know this is vague but I’ve been fly fishing and tying my own flies, just want to power up!!!

I just want to order/go get a lot of materials and hooks and being able to tie up an army for this year/season. Any input is appreciate! Tight Lines

2. Hewe Dat

Hewe Dat Active Member

Steve Farrar’s fiber blends
    EP fibers
    Extra select craft fur
    EP brushes- I love the tarantula brush
    Krystal flash
    Thick UV glue
    Ceramic rite bobbin
    A good assortment of Sharpie markers- don’t forget a brown one
    Zonker strips
    Sili legs

These are mostly what I use. I prefer synthetic fibers for durability over natural hairs.

Sean-NOLA likes this.

3. KyleW

KyleW Active Member

Huh, never heard of the Steve flash blend, looks pretty sweet tho. Also not sure exactly about the ep brush as I’ve only used ep fiber but I’ll check out that as well. I have a standard bobbin that came in my set, is a ceramic one really a benefit?

4. Hewe Dat

Hewe Dat Active Member

When I went to the ceramic bobbin I quit breaking thread. The ones with a ceramic eye the eye falls out. Just spend the few bucks on one of the things that it used all the time every time.

KyleW likes this.
  5. LowHydrogen

LowHydrogen Fly-By-Night

What are you favorite patterns? Where do you fish? What weight rod are you throwing? Do you fish super shallow or are you dredging cuts?
    You listed almost every inshore game fish people target with fly rods from 6wt through 12wt, if you can narrow it up a bit it would help.

Edit: to say no matter what, you'll need bucktail in white and chartreuse!!lol

Rick hambric likes this.
  6. KyleW

KyleW Active Member

I know lmfao, I know. Okay so let’s focus on the 8 wt, also have a 6 wt. I fish treasure coast down through Biscayne and 10,000 islands. I’ve been throwing Clouser Minnows and or lil shrimping stuff I tied right as I started, mediocre flies at best. Usually try to pole at the fish, so typically shallow with a little deeper blind casting here and there. Honestly I see all these guys that tie allll these flies, whatever they can think of, and I don’t know enough to go out and just buy supplies unless I have a pattern list for each specific fly. I’d like to get away from that

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018 at 11:10 AM
  7. KyleW

KyleW Active Member

Say no more, it’s on the list!

8. lemaymiami

lemaymiami Well-Known Member

Kyle, be a bit careful as you get into tying about materials... It's all too easy to buy a lot of stuff you may not ever use... Way back when I used to teach fly tying - I had the luxury of setting up each student with materials that we were actually going to be using (and since I was a commercial tyer able to pass on the goods at my wholesale cost -just for my students, including a vise and bobbin if needed).

I'd start off small - and only buy in quantity things that you know you're going to be using a lot of - after tying and using what you've tied.. Obviously hooks are cheaper by the 100 (and even cheaper by the 1000... per size) and something like pearl flashabou (or pearl accent flash) will be a staple. Whenever you see a pattern you like - ask the tyer (if you can) what materials they used. Any time someone you know picks up something new in the way of materials ask them what they liked - and what they didn't like about whatever they bought... Remember that things like glue, cement, some foams - all have a shelf life (ask me how I know...) so buying in quantity will not provide the benefit you're hoping for... Another tip - some of the things that fly shops and catalogs sell - can be bought a lot cheaper in an old hardware store (bead chain, paint, various glues - for instance) or in a notions shop (place where ladies by sewing materials...) so do a bit of looking around. You might find some real bargains...

As you gain skill and knowledge (remember tying and actually using your own flies is a learning process...). you'll begin to know exactly what you need and what's not needed - and in what quantities...

Hope this helps...

crboggs and timogleason like this.
  9. KyleW

KyleW Active Member

Yes, and this is my issue, this insight is very helpful, I do plan to make a bulk purchase on a handful of different hooks to stock up. I just feel like I can’t sit down consistently to whip a lot of flies when I buy materials a pattern at a time. Where as with a lot of material that I can regularly utilize I can tie an array without running back and forth to ole Florida. Progress not perfection, over time I’ll get there.

Rick hambric likes this.
  10. Hardluk81

Hardluk81 Well-Known Member

Capt. Bob where do you buy hooks in that quantity? I try to buy everything from my local fly shops but it seems like every time I go they are out of the hooks I’m looking for.

11. Hewe Dat

Hewe Dat Active Member

Check with shorty hook sales

Smackdaddy53 likes this.
  12. bonehead

bonehead Well-Known Member

For an all around saltwater hook I like the Daiichi 2546 in a size 2. Perfect for clousers, baitfish patterns, gurglers, etc. Also, JStockard has 100 packs for 22$ I believe, which is a good price at least to me.

13. LowHydrogen

LowHydrogen Fly-By-Night

An assortment of bucktail won't hurt (you can get assortment bags not while tails), white strung saddle hackle. That material alone will allow you to tie a metric ton of deceiver and baitfish patterns. X2 what Capt Bob said on hooks and flash. There's really no limit to the amount of money you can spend, the more precise you are with the patterns you want to tie then the more flies you'll get, by not wasting money on material you don't need. Look at Bob Popovics flies, there's really no end to what you can tie with bucktail, if you get bored with one pattern there's always another.

Another approach would be to find the"what's everyone been tying" thread and just start asking for a recipe (materials list)

How that helps some.
    Happy tying.

Rick hambric likes this.
  14. Rick hambric

Rick hambric Well-Known Member

You want a shopping list.... here you go!!!
    Buck tail in chartreuse, natural, and pink
    Some pearl and rootbeer Krystal flash
    Kraft fur in cream, chartreuse, purple, tan, and white
    Estaz in gold, olive, purple, black, pearl/silver, and chartreuse.
    Marabou in any color you want, it’s cheap.
    Some long hackles for deceivers and poon flies(white, black, then barred natural and chartreuse)
    Rabbit zonker in black, olive, chartreuse, rust/brown
    Mag zonkers in white, silver, chartreuse, black, purple, and red
    Two packs of foxy brush tan/redfox 1.5in
    Then Ep fiber (or similar) in white, chartreuse, olive, tan, purple, black.
    Small&med beadchain
    Lead eyes from XS-MED
    Shrimp eyes until you learn to make your own.
    A few packs of yellow and red eyes
    5spools ea of 150d & 100d gsp white thread then a pack of sharpies. Easier to learn with gsp as you won’t break it near as easy and all you have to do is run the marker over the thread to make it any color you want. It will soak in easy!!
    A dubbing twister
    Bobbin
    Good scissors and some cheap scissors for cutting brush wire
    Cheap comb
    Loon uv thin and a light
    Buy the mustad c70sd from #1-#4 for inshore along with the c47sd from 1/0-#2
    Daiichi 3111 in #1
    They come more to a pack for less $ then gamma and are good hooks
    Don’t forget a vise!
    Start slow and perfect one pattern at a time. No sense on making a box full of fur. Find someone local and offer a sixpack for tying lessons or buy the fuel for the next trip. You’re in good hands on this forum!!!

Hewe Dat and macmulisha like this.
  15. LowHydrogen

LowHydrogen Fly-By-Night

Rick forgot to mention the Renzetti Special Edition Master. These are a little tricky to set up at first, you'll need to send it to me to get it properly set up for you. I'll do it for free, but you have to pay shipping....

Rick hambric and Smackdaddy53 like this.
  16. Smackdaddy53

Smackdaddy53 Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!

I thought boat rigging was expensive...

Rick hambric likes this.
  17. Rick hambric

Rick hambric Well-Known Member

I work fine with the $40rotary from jstockard. One of these days I’ll be able to afford one of those sports cars y’all talk about...
    Or I’ll just get on my lathe and endmill and make me one!!!

squeezer1 and LowHydrogen like this.
  18. LowHydrogen

LowHydrogen Fly-By-Night

I decided a long time ago, if I ever but one I'm doing a full write up and photo shoot and putting it in the bragging spot lmao.

Rick hambric and KyleW like this.
  19. KyleW

KyleW Active Member

Your the man, this is the co-sign I was looking for, just got get a big ole lot of supplies and make myself an army. I have a list of a variety of hooks that I plan to buy bulk packs of. From standard Clouser and deceiver hooks, bonefish, permit, baby/small tarpon 8wt fly hooks and large tarpon fly hooks 1/0 and 2/0s. There’s a plethora of posts about those and I know everybody can debate about hooks forever.