SaltMarsh Kevlar Hybrid Jons / Skiffs

Discussion in 'The Commercial Zone' started by copperhead, Feb 27, 2014.

1. copperhead

copperhead Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Pleased to announce a new product line of what we call a hybrid jon boat & skiff, trying to offer the simplicity & toughness of a jon with the better ride & quietness of a nice small skiff.  What makes this possible is embedding kevlar laminates in the hull for toughness exceeding the typical aluminum boat.  So quite simply this hull is just at home in the rocks and oyster bars, usually the domain of the aluminum skiffs.  After all, its kevlar in bullet proof vests, not aluminum.

We've spent a lot of time on this project engineering wise that allows us to make available a skiff of this level at only a slight premium over a quality welded aluminum skiff, but stronger and lighter!  Comes with a molded one piece cap and easy clean non-skid. With introductory pricing for the 14' skiff starting at less than $3k, its tough to beat.

By the way, floats really shallow and poles quite well too!

Please check our website with a basic price sheet available for download.

www.saltmarshskiffs.com

We'd be pleased to answer any questions either by email or phone.

sales@saltmarshskiffs.com

Thanks!

Come see us at the Tampa Outdoor Expo this weekend 2/28 - 3/2!

2. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

Excellent work guys! Excited to see this released. Glad I can talk about it now.

Also thank you for using this section correctly. It's nice to see a manufacture respect our site with product posts the correct way.

All the best!

Cheers

3. sm20cf

sm20cf I Love microskiff.com!

4. brunyan

brunyan I Love microskiff.com!

Sweet! When does the 16' release?

5. Recidivists

Recidivists Looking towards the weekend!

Congratulations. That should be some turn out at the Tampa show.

6. Capt. Eli Whidden

Capt. Eli Whidden Sight Fishing South Florida

Interesting idea. The hull reminds me of the old pathfinder 15 and 17 tunnels. How do you keep the resins from separating off the aluminum after getting abused and beaten over the years.

7. warrenpb50

warrenpb50 On the water we are all the same.

We saw it in the shop before the cap was installed. Very light and appears very strong. Would work for a beginning skiff or for duck hunting. Good luck with the project.

8. copperhead

No aluminum in the hull, just the kevlar. It will stand the abuse better than aluminum.

The 16 is in the works now, should be done 2nd qtr, May timeframe is the target.

Off to Tampa!

Thanks all,

Mel

9. AfterHours2

AfterHours2 Stripper in my own Mind!

Just curious, what the price as pictured for a packaged boat/trailer combo. The 16 would be perfect for gator season. Nice job guys..

10. Recidivists

Recidivists Looking towards the weekend!

http://www.saltmarshskiffs.com/salt%20marsh%20order%20form.pdf

11. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

Looks great Mel & gang! I'll have to come by and see it sometime. You keep outdoing yourselves, keep it up!

12. fishicaltherapist

fishicaltherapist I Love microskiff.com!

VERY light,functional, and will take a pounding. Saw it today,a really nice shallow water, do anything skiff. Another winner from Mel,Rory,Erin and crew! Congrats!

13. RigaRoo

RigaRoo I Love microskiff.com!

Awesome.... I was curious what all of hinting was last week, I guess I have figured it out... I'd love to know when the 16' comes out.. Keep us posted!!!

14. iMacattack

iMacattack busy, too busy

The first T series Pathfinders were alumium boats with a tunnel. Then MHP built them out of glass.

Both MHP and this boat share a common root. The venerable Jon boat. I like what Mel has done and the target market for this very affordable, functional little skiff. I can see this skiff doing everything from fishing, hunting, and municipal uses.

Cheers

15. Snooknut

Snooknut Well-Known Member

I got to see this little beauty today as well. Very nice little skiff. Looking forward to seeing the 16. I think these boats are really going to be a hit with the budget buyers and simplicity guys. Great job Ankona!!!!

16. oysterbreath

oysterbreath Well-Known Member

Good job Mel!

While I think there will be marginal interest in this from the florida market....I think you will get a TON of attention from the Northern states. Ohio, Kentucky, Washington, Colorado and Alaska.....I bet if you get the word out in those areas you'd get a lot of good response. Where I grew up....There were two kinds of fishing boats. Rich boys and their Ranger Bass boats and the rest of us with our Jon boats! Good Luck to ya' Mel!!! Nice Jon.

17. CurtisWright

CurtisWright Light, Strong, Cheap. Pick Two.

http://www.fiber-plastics.com/tunnelboats.html

Patent infringement?

18. copperhead

Do you mean the "cord" transom they mention at the top of the webpage you posted?   We don't have that for sure :)  No mention of kevlar either and this skiff is 50 lbs lighter..

19. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

That with a Tohatsu jet drive would be perfect for my area :)