Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I narrowed it down to getting these 2 boats. I had an Alweld 1656 CC Marsh Series Flat and it ran so rough. I live in Louisiana and it will be choppy in Lake Lake Pontchartrain.

I love the quality of Beavertail boats, but love the design of the Heron 16 more. The Heron seems to have more nad bigger storage/livewell size.

SM Heron Tournament is 16' x 72" beam
BT Mosquito is 18' 2" x 70" beam

How does the Mosquito handle the chop vs the Heron?

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
I would think a more fair comparison would be the Heron 18 vs. the BT Mosquito. I cannot speak on the BT, but you will not be disappointed by the Heron 16 or 18 and you won't beat the price.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
385 Posts
The mosquito is a lovely boat - I ran around on one during the demo day following the BT Owners Tournament in 2017.

I don't have any experience with either Heron model but every bit of feedback I've seen is super positive.

I believe there is a fairly marked price difference between the 2, so that may be something to consider early in your comparison. Both have waiting lists, though I believe that BT's is a bit shorter than SM.

There are a few pre-owned mosquito examples for sale, at present, so you might check those out for some additional photos and owner detail.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
6 Posts
A good friend of mine has a Mosquito he bought this last year and I can personally say it handles chop beautifully, floats stupid skinny, AND is a bone dry ride, even in tossed waters. Every time I'm on that boat I am more impressed.

I don't have any personal experience with a Heron 16 or 18, but I agree with you on the design of the Salt Marsh, it's just such a pretty boat. I like the overall design of the SM hull better. I'd love to try one out and see how it does.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,415 Posts
I've owned my Mosquito for 2 years and it does exceptionally well in a chop, floats skinny and is very dry as others have noted. I've also fished Lake Pontchartrain around the railroad trestle and we ran back through some nasty slop to Ringolets.

How are you planning to use either skiff? No personal experience with the SM, but both are technical poling skiffs designed for quiet operation in shallow water.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
70 Posts
Heron 16 all day. Its an all around great skiff. Eats chop, keeps you dry, and poles great. You cannot go wrong with SaltMarsh. The company is like no other when it comes to custom service.

There, fixed it for you. Both are great companies with outstanding service. So you need to check each on the water.

Main difference to me is the Mosquito is really like a 16' skiff with long sponsons. Haven't been on a newer model but I'm just not a fan of the long sponsons with the lack of inside access on the one I was one. The Heron 16 Tournament is a standard carbon/kev/vinylester build like the BT Elite. Several variables and I don't think you would unhappy with either.

The Heron 18 is in a different ballpark all together with them only sharing the 18 length.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something seems odd to me about the Heron 18.

I will be going to the Ringolets, also in the shallow marsh in Pointe Aux Chenes. It would prob be better to go with a kevlar hull for that area.

I wish I lived closer, to try them both out.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,288 Posts
There's pipelines, oyster beds, and random crap that you can hit in PAC. I was thinking Kevlar would be better or like you said makes no difference?
Kevlar is overrated and this comes from a guy that owns a kevlar hull. Even Morejohn thinks so and I value his experience with kevlar and many other hull materials over marketing speak.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
There's pipelines, oyster beds, and random crap that you can hit in PAC. I was thinking Kevlar would be better or like you said makes no difference?
I fish that area a lot and my two pieces of input are don't pay extra for kevlar and get the longer boat if you want to fish the outside flats south of PAC. There are two big-ish bodies of water in that area that get rough with just a little bit of wind out of the wrong direction. My 173 has taken some proper beatings out there.

·
Registered
921 Posts
If you hit something like that, I doubt Kevlar will make much difference. I've chatted with the guys at Chittum and they state the carbon hulls are easier to repair when you punch a hole in them as the cracks don't propagate, like a glass hull. I personally wouldn't own a 16' boat unless i knew I would always have short runs and floating in 6" or less was the primary goal. For more general purposes and moving around, you want at least 18', IMO. I've had a Mosquito for a year now and my summary: 1) BT has EXCELLENT customer service 2) fit/finish is as nice as any other company in the big leagues 3) there's a lot of V in the bow, compared to a Chittum Laguna Madre for example, so it truly handles big water very, very well (my last boat was a big jon boat so its a stark difference). 4) I don't believe it's a 5+ boat. I'm 185 and with another same size friend and 90# son, with only 1/2 tank fuel, power pole, center console, and literally nothing else of weight, we drafted 8" fore and aft, as measured. Perhaps with 2 skinny dudes, you could do 5+ but even though I love the folks at BT, I SERIOUSLY doubt you will do 5-6" with that hull. Just too much V. Beam is another interesting measurement and differs greatly depending on measuring. The BT Mosquito is listed at 70" but I think it would be hard to find an area of hull in the water at 70". Rear top deck width is only 63.5" and widest point on front deck (entire skiff) is 71.5". Thus, there is literally no way there is anywhere near 70" of skiff in the water. They designed it to pole extremely well and I think they mostly accomplished that. You should definitely test this skiff in the water as they are a bit tippy. For me, it's no big deal as I'm lean, fit and have cat-like reflexes:) If you fishing buddy is 275# and doesn't have sea legs, he will probably throw you off the casting platform here and there. Ive fished my skiff in LA once (Houma) and for all that deep water marsh you have, it was fun. Did some big water crossings and it was superb. About the only time I get wet is if sitting down, while jumping on plane with a cross wind. If room is important to you, consider the side console with this skiff. I love the CC as I stand up (so I don't hit all our shallow bars here in S TX) but my wife complains about lack of room. The boat handles nicely and turns on a dime with no safety concerns, which fits with the V in the hull. Mine is modified in that the engine is raised a notch, it has a Shaw Wing Cav plate and a Foreman heavy cupped prop. One other thought, when I fished Houma last (July), grass was heavy and my 12V iPilot didn't do nearly as well as did the 24V on other boats. To me, a trolling motor was very useful over there. Almost never, ever use the blasted thing here in TX.
Best,
Matt

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
If you are crossing water go 18...regardless of builder or model...

·
Registered
390 Posts
$25K to $30K for a Tournament Edition depending on options. A Lodge Edition is a bit cheaper.

Email Rose for a price list at [email protected]

Keep in mind there is some bad weather bearing down on Ft Pierce...so it may take a few days to get a response.

·
Registered
14 Posts
$25K to $30K for a Tournament Edition depending on options. A Lodge Edition is a bit cheaper.

Email Rose for a price list at [email protected]

Keep in mind there is some bad weather bearing down on Ft Pierce...so it may take a few days to get a response.
Could you shoot me a text. I’m looking at one that I think is a decent deal I want to shoot you a couple pics of it if you don’t mine 904-826-7588

1 - 20 of 25 Posts