Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am thinking about selling my Native SUV 17. I have been looking at the Beavertail Mosquito and other comparable boats. Right now, in the classifieds is a 2017 Mosquito and a 2018 Heron 16. Both are in the same price range. I have not tested either boat. I have fished off an Elite and of course I have an Ankona. My questions are; these boats seem comparable. Are they? And the Heron that is for sale in classifieds, does not say "Kevlar" on it so I am assuming it is non-kevlar. If so, what is the difference between the Kevlar and non-kevlar Heron? Price and performance.

·
Registered
930 Posts
So I am thinking about selling my Native SUV 17. I have been looking at the Beavertail Mosquito and other comparable boats. Right now, in the classifieds is a 2017 Mosquito and a 2018 Heron 16. Both are in the same price range. I have not tested either boat. I have fished off an Elite and of course I have an Ankona. My questions are; these boats seem comparable. Are they? And the Heron that is for sale in classifieds, does not say "Kevlar" on it so I am assuming it is non-kevlar. If so, what is the difference between the Kevlar and non-kevlar Heron? Price and performance.
That Heron in the classifieds is SICK! great price. I would have bought it in a heartbeat if I didn't already have a deposit in and a motor bought for my new skiff. I like the color combo too.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I didn't realize salt marsh made a non kevlar heron. Hmmm

·
Registered
490 Posts
When I ordered my Heron....I was not given an option of “no Kevlar”....I thought they all had Kevlar....but could be wrong.

Call Rose at the shop. She was a big help when I finalized my options.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just heard from Rose and she said they are all with Kevlar. I only assumed that because the one for sale in the classifieds doesn't say Kevlar on it like others that I have seen.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have been on both of the models. I think the heron would give you more rough water capabilities for getting outside the pass. But the mosquito is a really nice skiff as well and it poles skinny. I think coming from an SUV you might like the Heron. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I ordered my Heron....I was not given an option of “no Kevlar”....I thought they all had Kevlar....but could be wrong.

Call Rose at the shop. She was a big help when I finalized my options.
How much do new Heron's run?

·
Registered
230 Posts
How much do new Heron's run?
Center console Tournament Package
Poling Platform, Push Pole Holders
Electrical Package w/ Nav Lights & Bilge
Center Console, NFS Steering
12 Gal. Aluminum Fuel Tank, Trim Tabs,
Custom Float-On Aluminum Trailer
Evinrude 60 HP ETEC Electric PT&T

$25620 + whatever options you add

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,938 Posts
That Heron in the classified is no joke. With that motor, what he asking, and the way it is rigged....jump on it.

Reactions: BobGee and CPurvis

·
Registered
79 Posts
Would that Heron 16 be a bit overpowered with the 70HP Yamaha. Most Hereon 16's seem to be equipped with around 50HP. Any issue of putting excessive stress on the transom. Also how much extra speed would you be getting for the 20 extra ponies. Enough to justify the extra initial cost and reduced fuel economy. Also, how much additional draft will be caused by the extra weight of the larger engine.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would that Heron 16 be a bit overpowered with the 70HP Yamaha. Most Hereon 16's seem to be equipped with around 50HP. Any issue of putting excessive stress on the transom. Also how much extra speed would you be getting for the 20 extra ponies. Enough to justify the extra initial cost and reduced fuel economy. Also, how much additional draft will be caused by the extra weight of the larger engine.
When you get a price list from Salt Marsh on a new Heron, their standard offer is a Tournament Edition with a 60 HP ETEC for $25 and some change. If I am not mistaken, the 70 weighs about the same as the 60. And from what I understand, you only gain about 2 more mph. There should be no additional draft, especially because this particular boat comes with a jack plate.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Did you ever have your’s built? Are you still considering? Jump on that one! Looks great!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,211 Posts
Why are you wanting to change? Seems those two skiff 's don't get you a lot more than a drier ride? For our area I do not regret having a bigger skiff.

·
Panhandler
2,727 Posts
No experience with the Heron, but I own a Mosquito and have been very happy with it. I fish St. Joe Bay, St. George Sound and Apalachee Bay with ease. The skiff handles a chop extremely well, poles easily and is quiet. Floats as skinny as you'll need in the Panhandle. Mine is powered with a Mercury 60 4S and I have the side console and 12-volt Xi5 troller set-up. I would buy another Mosquito in a heartbeat.

PM if you have specific questions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts